1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brace for brutal first two months

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 9, 2023.

1. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post. I'm going to trust that there are systems in place (even though it didn't look like much last night) and believe in this coaches plan for turning this team around. I choose to believe that he can recreate some of that magic he had in Boston where they didn't really become a .500 team until around January or February (first 50 or so games) of that year when it looked like the team and systems started to gel.

Not saying the Rockets will be as successful as Boston (because we don't have the same talent) but hopefully we will begin to look more like a cohesive unit that can defend and score.

Corpusfan and Mathloom like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Any team can blow out any other team in a 1 game sample. And I don't think the Magic are a bad team anymore. I expect them to be around .500 this season.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

3-17 in first 20, up to maybe 5-15.

DD

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is this the official team slogan for 2023-2024?

Dredd and YOLO like this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Nice!

Wish the mods would take all the knee jerk threads and combine them into one place.
    Would be much easier to ignore that way.

IBTL, Mathloom and persian hoopa like this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We all know it sometimes takes time to adjust to a new coach/system (or any kind of structure/system in this case). Not gonna overreact to a few bad games early in the season, but I do expect things to look better by midway though the season.

jim1961 likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

Wiz and Blazer also lost their opener. It's one game except, the team that loses are the usual suspects along with this team.

Magic for some of us was a toss up, as a maybe, I never penciled Orlando in as a win.

Was going to maybe chuck it up as Magic having an extra umph since their celebrating their 30th. Except last night Jazz was celebrating their 50th but lost to the Kings. Losing is whatever, it's the margin.

Rockets will be playing many of our in season group teams in next two months, so yes it will be brutal.

8. kpdark

kpdark Member

need some time for acclimatization

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ime’s Celtics lost by 32 to the Raptors in their second game, so I’m definitely not going to let one game dampen my optimism for the season overall.

Sengun breaking out of his offensive funk, and going 3/3 in the midrange was the most encouraging thing last night, shows that he is expanding his game.

Both Jalen and Fvv were passive in the first half, being overly unselfish and trying to play the team game, in the third quarter Fvv took the reins and stopped deferring which brought us back into the game. The whole team looked confused on offense and it’s going to take time to balance between being aggressive and unselfish, which is what made everyone play hesitant. Ime preaches team ball, so no one wanted to take any bad shots which made the team tentative. Once they get used to each other and Ime’s system the offense will run smoother and they won’t have to overthink, problem is they have to figure this out during such a tough early schedule, trail by fire.

With all that going on, Amen was pretty much the sole reason we got blown out. He could not hold the ball or dribble the ball and looked like a deer in headlights, a -34. With Fvv and Sengun on the court we actually played them even. This gives me more confidence that this is just a one off, because Amen is either going to get a lot better or we are going to start running Aaron Holiday. That’s the difference between this year and the last couple of years, we are not going to keep playing a -34 for 20 mpg the whole season with zero repercussion.

#149 CXbby, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    xaos, AroundTheWorld, cheke64 and 3 others like this.
  10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They're not gonna go from a 20-22 win team 3 years in a row with a horrible culture to suddenly becoming a .500 ballclub on opening night. This is a work in progress and Year 1 of Phase 2 or whatever the hell they're calling it.

If they're still playing as poorly as last season come January, then there's cause for concern.

Easy, Mathloom, mfastx and 1 other person like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

This was never ever going to be a few months fix. The process takes at least full season before you really make any king of significant jump. And that's only if the guys actually show consistent progression and impacting winning. There's plenty more of last nights game coming. And it was the orlando magic who are in the bottom portion tier of the league

Nook and Easy like this.
  12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't think many braced themselves......lol

DD

Nook and Dredd like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No need to if your expectations are reasonable.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Exactly, at least we will finally find out about our prospects, and decide who to build around.

Got to separate the prospects from the suspects.

DD

jim1961 likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Here is what I think is reasonable (win%)

Now through end of the year - (.300-.365)
    January through the all-star break - (.350-.420)
    ASB through end of year - (.375-.475)

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

What does that equate to in the number of total wins? I have us at 29.

DD

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Now through end of the year - 30 GMs (9-11 wins)
    January through the all-star break - 24 GMs (8-10)
    ASB through end of year - 28 Gms (11-13)

So, 28-34 wins

If we make a trade for a helpful vet along the way, possibly 2-3 more wins.

So if everything goes perfectly, 37 wins might get us a play-in.
    If everything goes badly, bottom 5 lotto team.

#157 jim1961, Oct 27, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    xaos likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I’ll admit I wasn't braced for that first game, for an ass kicking.

jim1961 likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yep, me either. I have had to adjust my expectations.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

some call him a prophet..