1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brace for brutal first two months

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 9, 2023.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Even if they win 40 games that would have missed the playoffs last year (okc). I would be more than happy if they are just in contention of the playin - then anything can happen.

2. Dredd

Dredd Member

KPJ wouldn’t have lasted here with Udoka.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  3. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think this is a good take. At least Udoka had players come in physically ready to play which was a plus (rather than using training camp as conditioning time), but becoming a better defensive or offensive team will take months.

It will take teams a few games to get a game plan for Amen, but when they are ready we will have some tough sledding.

4. TimDuncanDonaut

In the past, we've seen the Grizz without Ja, they didn't slip that much in regular season wins. There was even a talking point where lineup data looked as good without him. Griizz changed from Brooks to Smart. Grizz just played different without Ja, less heliocentric.

On Clippers, similar thing. If one of PG or Kawahi, is not available they won't go far in playoffs but for regular season, Lue could maximize mid players to win. Match up wise, last year they beat Lakers 4 times ( in all their meetings).

Some of the reasons thrown out are more applicable to playoffs success. Other teams have comparable depths.

#64 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what is different from soccer, you have like a 3 month offseason and then 1-2 week training camps sprinkled in there.

You do not have to use the first 10-15 games to iron out your game plans.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

He could say it but we don't have to buy it. With current outlook do you think this team will have more than 40 wins after this season?

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no clear Yep or Nope to me.

Coach - Yes
    Starters - Yes
    Bench - Maybe or Nope
    Coaching staff - Maybe
    Front Office - Nope

Do they still make an In season trade to improve the team.....

To me it is a 49/51 - Fifty fifty that they have 39-40 wins. Coin flip .

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Team will improve just a matter of how much. Time will tell.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am guessing Ime has already unleashed his brutal honesty on the guys and no one has flinched yet.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

-> send OKC a high draft pick.

hajkov likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can we still prAy fOr ViCToR?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Too late, I mentioned that last week .... in one of these threads.

Seriously though, if the expectations are a low 30's win total (Vegas line?), they are most likely in the 6-8 worst records which gives them 26.2-37.2% chance of landing in the top 4 and keeping their pick.

If you ask me (and you didn't) that's a huge disappointment after the last 3 years of tanking and the $60m spent cap space.
    When this rebuild started, this was the season I had circled for them to return to relevance with the draft picks they have had along with the expiration of toxic contracts ... Free agency was an unmitigated disaster with no real stars shaking loose and they haven't been able to swing a trade for a star nor have any of these draft picks taken the leap to star (Yet).
    I had much higher expectations for this season than a low 30something win total.

One (or more) of these young cats needs to make a big improvement and drag this team to the playoffs.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have been saying for years. Even decades.

glimmertwins likes this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Haha

You must be new here.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, pretty much.

17. bmelo

bmelo Member

Hornets OKC SAS Portland Minnesota

18. bmelo

bmelo Member

Good teams played way more games, had way less rest, and take way more time to get into best form. I think Rockets can have amazing start outrunning teams

19. Ancient Moabite

Best case to hope for is out of every ten game stretch they can get 4-5 wins and be highly competitive in the other 5-6 though there will be some back to back games where they just don't got it and get blown out

Plus health will be crucial, hopefully both vets & young bulls can avoid the serious types

Rockets are due to be one of those surprise teams that they have annually in all sports, 9/10th seed should be in reach and capable if all goes in their favor

JumpMan likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

No matter what happens, I’m gonna withhold judgement until after the allstar break. I’m sure we’ll play better basketball than last year, but it’s gonna take at least half a season for our young guys to really soak up everything they’re learning.