1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brace for brutal first two months

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 9, 2023.

1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I’ve braced 3 brutal years. I’m ready to brace two more.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't see them being as bad as prior years. They better not be struggling to win 20 games. It's all about the improvement year this year for me. If they are as bad as they've been in prior years then a number of things went terribly wrong. And immediate changes will be necessary. I'm focused on what jumps and steps forward these guys take from players and team. It all doesn't go from 0-100 in a few months. The progression made this year especially with the big 3rd year from JG/AS and JS/TE next years 3rd years will significantly determine the ceiling outlook of what the rockets realistically can be in the next couple years

BaselineFade and Easy like this.
  3. Dredd

Dredd Member

#1 pick coming soon.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you watched the training camp videos you didn't see much ball movement not much different than last season - or not much more complexity.

Ime has his work cut out for him.

DD

HillBoy likes this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

On the other hand, there will be some of those early games against decent teams where the assumptions are carried over from the previous years--coast for three, easily pull away from the Rockets in the fourth. If we truly are over the hump, we will surprise and pick off a few of those games. If the Rockets are as successful as we all hope, that dynamic will not be there later in the year.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yes, Jalen/Sengun/Jabari/Amen, and to a lesser extent Tari/Cam will determine the ceiling of the team 5 years from now. And the outlook on them from fans are generally consistent and optimistic.

What differentiates my outlook THIS year from some more pessimistic fans is two fold. To me Fvv is a legitimate all star caliber player. Every single advanced metric that nba teams value, EPM, RAPTOR, LEBRON, RAPM etc supports that claim.

Second, people are really underestimating how horrible Josh Christopher, Daishen Nix, Tyty, Kj Martin and first year Jabari were. Collectively we gave them a huge chunk of minutes, while individually they each measured out to be some of the worst players in the entire league by those same aforementioned metrics. Replacing them with actual nba players (and second year Jabari) may as well be adding an allstar.

Whether you agree or disagree with those points is what separates our near term outlook on the team.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ball movement does not work against a switching defense, that’s the point of it.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm much more optimistic this year than I have been...

#1 - Silas is gone. He was a terrible coach, but I guess he served a purpose in being a Tank/CC.
    #2 - Our young guys are improving--3rd year for Alpi and Jalen. Bari and Tari look like they should take another step forward.
    #3 - We added two starting vets and one super pro (Green) coming off a championship season. A vet PG leader and a defensive stopper should really help this team click. Green's time with Joker should help with mentoring Alpi.
    #4 - Coaching staff is 10x (or more) better and should help increase wins by 8-10 games.
    #5 - Getting Amen and Cam just seems like we're the real winners of the Lottery/Draft. Both these guys bring energy and defense to our bench and that was sorely needed.

We'll certainly have some growing pains, that's just natural, but I think we'll surprise some teams as well. Hoping we're 10-10 after first 20 games, that would be something to build on.

BaselineFade, jim1961 and BamBam like this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Objectively our schedule is tough the first 33 games, calibrate your expectations accordingly. But you are right, I’m not saying it’s necessarily a good or bad thing, it’s just a thing. Perhaps we sneak up on some teams and get wins we otherwise would not have if those games came later in the year, absolutely.

xaos and rimrocker like this.
  10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well there wasn't much ball movement, body movement much of anything, just a few cutters....Ime said he was starting all over, so I expected that, my point was that they hadn't put anything in yet, and it will be a much longer process than I think folks believe.

He has to start from the ground up!

And it is going to take some time, I am agreeing with your point - been saying the same for quite some time...folks should temper their expectations....it will be a while.

DD

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What? Training camp did not have a scrimmage game. It was just intervals of shooting and a 3 man passing layup competition

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m not disagreeing that it will take time. Just saying that since they are running a switch everything defense so far, there’s not much the offense can do besides hunt for a mismatch and iso, that’s the beauty of a switching defense. We will get a much better gauge of their offensive execution and ball movement once they play other teams that play more traditional coverages.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not like flipping a switch, boom... we will change from playing the losing way to playing the winning way just because we have a new coach and we are no longer tanking. (Funny how some posters believe that playing the wrong way in order to tank was the right thing to do.) It doesn't work like that. I am excited to see the young guys improve. But this team has been playing losing ball for so long, it takes time and A LOT of reps to change habits. I'd say at least half a season, maybe a whole season.

We added some vets. They will help. (I'm not even sure if Brooks will play the right way on offense.) But they aren't superstars who can carry the team and dictate the system. They will have to fit in too.

slothy420 and YOLO like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

I would argue that it is like flipping a switch in our situation. The biggest contributor to “playing the wrong way” was structuring the offense around kpj/Jalen ball. Going from that to Fred Vanvleet is flipping a big ass switch. The adjustment we will need is Jalen learning how to play off of others more, but in the meantime Fred can shoulder the load in terms of running the team the right way.

xaos, Dobbizzle and Easy like this.
  15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It was interesting that they talked about how poor our transition Defense was last year, but didn't mention the ROOT CAUSE of that was we all crashed the offensive glass and no one got back.

There needs to be a much better plan for transition this year....as last year was a mess.....on transition.

DD

jim1961 likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can also argue that changing the coach is flipping the switch. But it's going to be like those old ass CFL energy saving light bulbs, taking forever to brighten up after you flip the switch.

Jalen and Jabari and Sengun will have to adjust to a new way of playing. They need a lot of reps to get comfortable with the new system.

I think you guys are expecting too much of Udoka and FVV. They aren't miracle workers.

CXbby and YOLO like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

This should just be a fun season for Rockets fans. Anyone expecting the Rockets to make the playoffs will leave unhappy.
    Enjoy the growth of the younger players growth and development band improved play by the end of the season - but don’t count those “W’s” this year.
    Also going from Silas/Porter to Udoka will take time. Some of the younger players may not like the brutal honesty of Udoka and his expectations at first.

xaos, Dobbizzle, slothy420 and 5 others like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - some of it was laziness, lack of cohesion and a head coach that was afraid of his shadow.

Deckard and DaDakota like this.
  19. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I fully expect there to be growing pains and more losses than wins to begin the season. The losing over the past few years has been rough, but more frustrating was what appeared to be a lack of structure, discipline, or accountability.

If the Rockets show improvements in actually looking like they have an offensive\defensive system and players are giving consistent effort on the defensive side of the ball, then it will make any early struggles they may have bearable for me.

I'm really more excited to see how coach Udoka fits all of this talent together and his plan for transforming this team into a playoff caliber team than I am about total wins\losses this year.

Dobbizzle and BaselineFade like this.
  20. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think both Sengun and Jabari are going to enjoy their adjustment since they will be getting more opportunities, especially Sengun. I view Fred as a big floor raiser. But yes things will take time. Like I said I would be ecstatic going 13-20 to start the season and that’s a pretty optimistic scenario, could be worse.

Easy likes this.