1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

BP refinery in Texas City just blew up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Watching ABC 13 right now in College Station.

Sad. Hoping for the best.

on a side note. The lady on the right on ABC news is quite hot.

2. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

if you scroll down that article you'll see the anchor from the Grandcamp where it's located now. my grandfather-in-law pulled that thing out of the sand (nearly a mile from where the explosion happened) and placed it at that location and designed the park/memorial. he (Charles Lowry) and his brother (Emmit F. Lowry--the former mayor of Texas City) helped clear all the debris and recycle all the steel from that disaster. what a horrible time that must've been. that incident is what i thought of when i read A-Train's post. my mother-in-law works at Mainland Hospital. i'm glad everyone (or most) seems to be fine.

BTW, A-Train, is that really you...?

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I work in Texas City. There are now at least a dozen confirmed dead, probably 50-100 injured in local hospitals.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I wonder if there is any truth to the reviewer who said she read in Variety Magazine that Tom Cruise may be starring in a film about the disaster. Up until 9/11, it was the worst disaster in American history. Hardly anyone knows about it still.

6. mulletman

mulletman Member

i dont know what theyre reporting in the news right now (i think it was 4 dead earlier), but i have a friend that works for an engineering company contracted by this refinery.

he says that he heard that there are at least 27 people dead:(

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

One of my good friends wifes is an engineer for BP out there...

8. codell

Lord I hope not.

From everything I read, Texas City just wants to forget about the whole thing.

Would hate to see that whole thing sensationalized.

EDIT: According to Google, Cruise's production company now has the rights to make a movie about it, but that was back in 2003.

9. codell

Damn ...........

Channel 2 says between 12-20 dead at least

Behad,

Just send you an email

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but my sources told me that the Galveston County Medical Examiner's Office said they're gonna need 50 body bags tonight.

The force of the blast broke windows for blocks around... not by blowing them in, but by actually SHAKING THE GROUND so hard that the glass broke.

EDIT: The official number of dead now stands at 14. Hopefully the rest of those body bags go unused.

#50 Hippieloser, Mar 23, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  11. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

This is really scary, I worked there in the summer for my dad's company. My dad and his workers are there all the time. One of his workers had his finger broken because it was trampled after the explosion.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My mom claims there was a huge blast in Brenham about 11 or 12 years ago, that she felt all the way on the other side of Tomball. She wanted me to go look it up, but I'm too lazy. Something about a natural gas leak, that a car ran into.

13. Fatty FatBastard

I was there when that happened. It was crazy. A clap of thunder-like noise that shook everything for thirty seconds, and I was 10 miles away at the time.

Basically, there was a gas leak that filled a natural basin. A car backfired and BOOM.

It happened in 1991.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Here's an article on it:

ISA.ORG Link

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I was looking for that at the library today. I did not find it, somebody in the bulding had it cause there was a gap where that book should have been.

I am going to look for it tommorow.

16. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I just realized this happened and thought about Behad immediately. Glad your ok buddy.

Prayers to the families. +

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Glad Behad is ok.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My wife works for Jacobs Engineering. If you've been following the news, that's where most of the people who died yesterday worked. They were out inspecting the plant. There are a bunch of reporters at her job right now.

19. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't work for Jacobs does he?

20. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sorry for the double post.

My dad works for Jacobs, seems like all the deaths were from them :(. 14 people from Jacobs is what he said to me yesterday on the phone.

+