1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BP: "Cap Closed, No More Oil Going Into Gulf"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RoxSqaud, Jul 15, 2010.

1. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Way too early to celebrate on this one. Everyone knew they'd be able to close the well with a cap, but the question is whether sealing the top (and keeping the oil in) will force another explosion/leak elsewhere in the well. That's what they're doing these tests of pressure readings for.

If in a day or two the pressure readings are acceptable and there's no second explosion, then it's time to celebrate.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

See, all they needed was new corporate leadership.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The small people are saved!

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

I should've doubled up on their stock when it went below 30.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Excited? What's to be excited over? You just filled the ocean with oil for three months and finally stopped it. You shouldn't be excited, you should be relieved.

That's like being excited after a volcano erupts and the lava finally stops spewing.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

<object width="560" height="340" id="lsplayer" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.livestream.com/grid/LSPlayer.swf?channel=wkrg_oil_spill&amp;autoPlay=false"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed name="lsplayer" wmode="transparent" src="http://cdn.livestream.com/grid/LSPlayer.swf?channel=wkrg_oil_spill&amp;autoPlay=false" width="560" height="340" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="font-size: 11px;padding-top:10px;text-align:center;width:560px">Watch <a href="http://www.livestream.com/?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=footerlinks" title="live streaming video">live streaming video</a> from <a href="http://www.livestream.com/wkrg_oil_spill?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=footerlinks" title="Watch wkrg_oil_spill at livestream.com">wkrg_oil_spill</a> at livestream.com</div>

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Agreed. I wonder how long it will take before this is completely off the MSM radar. I have the "under" on whether that happens before Lindsey goes to jail.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

This is welcome news, but BP still sucks.

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Great, if this works we can get on to the process of suing BP into oblivion for criminal negligence.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

[​IMG]

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100716/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Your vid isn't working.

15. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

16. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/18/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?video=true

This is bad news because it would mean that the well bore is damaged below the seafloor, which means the only way to stop it from leaking will be the completion of the relief well and plugging the bore with mud and cement from below.

Isn't it a little funny that we knew and they told us that the pipe was damaged, we'd seen the background screens in CNN, feeds and other sources showing huge amounts of plumes coming outta the seafloor a month back, yet magically all this is fixed and they can just cap the well off? What function did that relief well have if BP has mentioned nothing about concreting? It seems they've simply stuck a straw in it and closed the top of the main well off, or attempted to. This stinks as much as the slick reports 2 weeks before deepwater went down. Usual practice for these guys is to make deepwater the 'look at me' event while something else is going on...

Couldn't waste all this money and not get any oil eh?

17. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

This is pretty uneasy...I saw something about bubbles leaking from the cap this morning. They were discussing about the possibility of methane gas. I just hope they do the right decision. BP continues to say it is safe to leave the cap on but why would we trust them?

I am so scared of an explosion that can cause irreversible damage to the seafloor.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt that BP was doing this to try to get more oil. In BP's defense all along they have said that the only way to really stop the leak was to bottom kill it with relief wells. Everything else has just been attempts to slow down the problem while the relief wells are being drilled.

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

20. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

if this happened in the persian gulf you best believe this oil leakage/cleanup would've been complete alot sooner then this one.