1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boxing Workout: Patrick Beverley, Greg Smith, Isaiah Canaan & Robert Covington

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not a fan of doing other sports to get in shape for a different sport. I could see some of the foot work stuff translating over to the court, but all that punching won't.

3. conquistador#11

urkel better hide. Patrick gonna go for bodyshots not just knees.

4. bmd

bmd Member

I grew up playing baseball, basketball, and boxing. It still blows my mind how few high-level athletes can throw a ball or throw a punch.

I just don't get it.

5. bmd

bmd Member

It's cardio training. It's about keeping your heart rate up to build endurance. What you are doing doesn't matter. People get bored with running or using an exercise bike. Boxing is exhausting and so it's a fun way to get some exercise in.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Of course it matters. You're not just conditioning your heart alone. You'r conditioning/shaping those muscles you are using. You are integrating new muscle patters into your memory. If it didn't matter, then athletes across different sports would just run in a straight line for cardio and nothing else.

Yes, it's boring, but so is studying for x amount of time to pass a test. You do what you have to do to get better in that area. It's fine for a sunday funday, but doesn't make a lot of sense, if they continue to use it to train for basketball.

Maybe because they didn't grow up doing it...

Body requires specific training to become adept at specific movements.

#6 RV6, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Why hasn't Beverley killed any brown bears yet?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

In my opinion, its for fitness and to have fun. These guys can't just do basketball drills 16 hours per day.

Based on your last post, are you concerned that this will be detrimental to their basketball performance in some way?

9. bmd

bmd Member

You don't get it. You do not understand how training and conditioning works.

And athletes do run in straight lines for conditioning. Ever heard of wind sprints? Running a couple miles? Interval training?

You can run, use an airdyne bike, swim, box, etc. as a form of cardio training. It's about keeping your heart rate up for a sustained period of time so that you can recover quicker, and you will be less tired during games.

There are different types of weight lifting, plyometrics, cardio training, etc. that an athlete will do to condition himself.

Athletes work in phases. The conditioning work they do during the offseason prepares their body for the season. They increase their general strength, power, speed, and cardio using weights, plyometrics, and all kinds of things to increase cardio and muscular endurance, and as the season approaches they will do more basketball-specific training.

10. bmd

bmd Member

I'm pretty sure this is the same guy who said Dwight having big shoulder muscles is the reason he doesn't move fluidly like Hakeem and his shoulders are the cause of his back problems.

This is the pseudo-science he believes in.

11. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I totally agree. I did some Boxing training myself.My hands became fast,but only throwing punches. It did nothing for any of my basketball skills. The liturature on transfer of training indicates that there is very little. It showed that you must practice exactly what you want to learn. Want to dribble better, then practice dribbling.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

best forms of conditioning are ones that directly translate in-game

13. BlueJazz

BlueJazz Member

Great to see what the young Rockets are doing: having fun, hanging out, training together and building chemistry. Love it.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I talked with my S&C coach at my uni and he told me I shouldnt even really be running on treadmills given it underutilizes the hamstrings so much. You build muscular endurance by practicing and training the movements that occur in-game, to say that simply getting your heart rate up through say swimming will make you fitter in a basketball game is really oversimplifying it.

next level: Bear hunting

15. bmd

bmd Member

I will say it again. You guys do not understand conditioning.

In the offseason, you train in a general sense. You will lift weights to increase general strength, build muscle (if you need to), and build power and explosiveness. You will do cardiovascular training to increase your general stamina and lower your resting heart rate so you can recover quicker.

AND, you ALSO train in basketball-specific skills. You work on foot speed, agility drills, balance drills, and position-specific skills for basketball players.

As the season approaches, you should cut back on your weight-lifting and increase the basketball-specific skill training.

The reason for this is because raw power, endurance, strength, etc. isn't helpful on it's own unless you can channel it to basketball. The skill-training is a bridge that connects your new weight-room strength, power, and stamina into functional basketball strength, power, and stamina.

It is a mix of general strength and conditioning in the weight room (or boxing gym), AND basketball-specific training.

And they work in yearly cycles. They'll have macrocycles like preseason, in-season, and post season. They'll have micro cycles within the macrocycles. They will train different things at different times so that they "peak" as the season starts and are in top physical form for the game of basketball. But it takes a mix of training, in specific phases, to achieve that.

1 person likes this.
  16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Switching up training modes definitely works. Repeating the same routine again and again yields diminishing returns. That's the muscle memory aspect. Conditioning is another element. Sprinters lift weights. Boxers run. Hell, basketball players and football players lift weights, and lifting weights is not part of the ball game. I pretty much have to 100% disagree with you here. Martina Navratilova cross trained. Lynn Swann took ballet. My own experience tells me the same. Cross training works.

17. bmd

bmd Member

No.. there are no "best forms". It takes both general training and sport-specific training to achieve the best results possible.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Treadmills are garbage. They don't apply to the discussion.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Well according to some its just about keeping your heart rate up!

20. Star

Star Member

Oh dear, this season these players will foul out in like the first 3 mins of play time :(