1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BOXING] What Happened to Jermain Taylor?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ceonwuka, Oct 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Just got KO'd something serious in the Super Six Tournament. That makes 3 KOs in the past 2 years (I think the Carl Froch one was a TKO, but still). I really thought he was going to be one of the real all-time greats. Where'd he go wrong?

2. YaosDirtyStache

I think he wanted to focus on his basketball career and was drafted by the Rockets.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good one :rolleyes:

4. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Arbraham had him all night, just about time he knocked him out in the 12th.

It happens to all great boxers. He's 31 but I don't think he has anything left in the tank.

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

He was done after the 1st Pavlik fight.

The guy just doesn't have the stamina for the championship rounds. His problem is he gets tired after the 6 or 7 round. It is all downhill from there for him.

I had picked Abraham to win the whole tourney, but I didn't think he would brutally knock out JT like that. I figured he would knock him out though.

His chin is cracked thanks to Pavlik. He needs to hang up the gloves and retire while he is still healthy.

Reports after the fight were that he had a severe concussion and short term memory loss. Abraham is a beast.

Abraham is a monsterrrrrr
    [​IMG]

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Man, I thought the first two matches in the Super Six went over great. Both matches were pretty entertaining. Although, I do feel Andre Dirrell got robbed. Anyways, it was a great start for the Super Six.

7. Asian Sensation

That looks liek a scene from a movie with the celebration and all. Pretty bad ass.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I watched him fight Froch in a fight that he really should have won. He looked great until the last couple of rounds when he ran out of gas and couldn't finish Froch off. That was Taylor's last fight up until the bout the OP mentioned this weekend where he lost again. I guess he's starting to fall off the map a bit which is a shame. Although, I heard the guy that he lost to is an absolute monster.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This. I really like Jermaine. But he runs into this problem too often. He was owned Saturday night...just waiting for him to run out of gas.

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

JT is one of the stupidest in-ring strategists I've ever seen.

In his title fight with Froch, he was up by multiple rounds on every card and ended up getting KO'd with 12 seconds left in the fight. Literally, all he had to do was take a knee, give up the last round, and he still wins on a unanimous decision!!!

Also, I don't remember which Pavlik fight it was, I think the first...he's got Pavlik completely on the ropes in an early round and goes nuts trying to immediately get the KO even though he had stopped getting good contact. He punched himself out in a very early round and had no gas left for the rest of the fight.

Keep in mind his decision over Hopkins to win the title was fairly controversial as well.

I just hope JT has saved his money. I went to college in Central Arkansas and a local fraternity would always have a boxing competition similar to a Toughman competition. For the first couple of years I was in college, JT would be the celebrity guest. It was insane how quickly he blew up. My freshman year of college he would literally just come stand in the crowd with everyone else and then he'd get in the ring and they'd announce he was there. It wasn't a big deal at all...and then next thing you know, he's world champion and can't leave his house in Arkansas without getting mobbed.

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I agree those on JT who have mentioned his stamina and discipline problems. After his "wins" over BHop, he really stopped dedicating himself. I felt he lost to Winky as well. He pretty much coasted through 3 years on strictly athleticism. I'm not as sold on AA as some people are. I don't like the fact that he gives away 2-4 rounds to start every fight, and I have a feeling that he may get beat by Dirrell (who definitely got robbed) in his next fight.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Dat boy got straight clocked within seconds of the fight being over...

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

At one time he was the pride of Arkansas. People in this state talked about him as much as they did the Razorbacks. I didn't hear anything about him this past weekend and I was down in Little Rock.

14. SirCharlesFan

Lets be honest, his popularity had to have been the biggest case of bandwagoning that I can ever remember. People in Arkansas hopped on the gravy train when the gettin' was good an jumped ship the second he got KO'd by Pavlik.

15. MadMax

head downtown to the restaurants along the river??

16. Lil Pun

No, didn't get a chance to do that. My nephew, who lives with me now, wanted to go down to the state fair to hang out with some friends on Saturday night. My lady and her friend wanted to go down to walk in the Race for the Cure thing that morning. I was a designated babysitter for my child, the friend's child, and my two nieces.

17. MadMax

No Shotgun Dan's Pizza???

No Purple Cow???

THE HORROR!!!!!!

:)

18. Lil Pun

Red Lobster and Golden Corral were the selections from the people I was with. :(

Those are two gems though and if I remember correctly you were the one who initially told me about the Purple Cow. Very nice find.

19. MadMax

Those Yarnell's milk shakes are great!

And the Loaded Barrel pizza at Shotgun Dan's is so good, we usually make at least 2 trips there when we visit.

20. SirCharlesFan

The Purple Cow stinks and is extremely overpriced. My college roommate and I still have a running joke about the time we went to Purple Cow and he managed to spend $23 (after tip) on a meal for himself.