1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BOXING]Pacquiao KOs Morales in super featherweight rematch

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FrancisFan3, Jan 22, 2006.

1. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Manny Pacquiao vowed there would be no excuses this time. It turned out he didn't need any.

Throwing punches at every angle, Pacquiao avenged his defeat 10 months ago and handed Erik Morales the worst beating of his career before finally stopping him in the 10th round Saturday night of their 130-pound showdown.

It was the first time Morales had ever been stopped in what had been a spectacular career, and it came with a spectacular performance by a Filipino who never stopped punching.

The end came at 2:33 of the 10th round when Morales, who had barely gotten up in time from the first knockdown of the round, was knocked back down with a flurry of punches and referee Kenny Bayles wasted no time in stopping the fight.

"I saw I hurt him every time I hit him in the body," Pacquiao said.

Morales face was a mess of welts and he had lumps on his forehead and head after taking the beating of his career. It was the third loss in the last four fights for the Mexican who had held titles in three different weight classes but has been in some bruising fights. "I was tired because of making weight and I was tired because of all the tough fights I've had," Morales said.

Morales (48-4) had beaten Pacquiao in a 12-round decision last March, a loss Pacquiao blamed on problems with his promoter, his taxman and his gloves. He went into the ring Saturday saying he was 100 percent and that there would be no excuses, win or lose.

The first fight was a 12-round brawl, and the rematch promised to live up to expectations early with both fighters trading freely and landing clean shots to the head. Pacquaio was busier, though, and seemed to win some early rounds through sheer volume of punches.

No title was at stake, but a lot of national pride was in a bout that drew 14,618 fans to the UNLV campus arena, many cheering their countrymen on.

As the fight went on it was Pacquaio's supporters doing the most cheering as Pacquaio wore down Morales and landed shot after shot to the head and body.

"I could see he was having problems taking my punches," Pacquaio said. "I had no problem taking his."

Pacquaio (41-3-1, 32 knockouts) landed a big punch in the second round, a left hand that sent Morales backwards and forced him to grab onto the top rope to stay up. Morales also appeared ready to go down at the end of the sixth round after a series of punches in the corner, but bounced off referee Kenny Bayless and stayed upright as the bell sounded to end the round.

As the fight went on, Pacquaio kept the pressure on, and Morales looked increasingly weary. Between rounds, he complained that his legs hurt and his cornermen rubbed them. Morales' corner tried to get their fighter to keep the pressure on, saying Pacquaio didn't know how to fight backwards. But Pacquaio didn't have to because he stayed in front of Morales, bouncing back and forth and throwing punches at every angle.

"The tide turned in the sixth round," said Pacquaio's trainer, Freddie Roach. "I could see Morales was fading from all the body punches and Manny's right hook was beautiful."

Morales was known all his career as a big puncher who never backed up. But for the last 20 seconds of the ninth round he ran from Pacquaio, trying not to take anymore punishment.

"He's all gone," Roach told Pacquaio after the ninth round.

Roach was prophetic as Pacquaio came out and kept the pressure on Morales, whose face was marked by the sheer volume of punches he took. Midway through the round, Pacquaio landed a huge left hand in the middle of a combination that put Morales on the canvas.

Morales stayed there with his arm over a ring rope before finally getting up at the count of nine. Pacquaio was then all over him, landing a flurry that put a defenseless Morales down and ended the fight.

"He hit me with a lot of real good hard shots," Morales said. "I got hit in the head a lot."

Pacquaio made $2 million for the fight, but more importantly kept his stature as a national hero in the Philippines.

"I know everyone in the Philippines is happy," he said.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

#2 Kam, Jan 22, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  3. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Great fight. Undercard fight was solid too. Pacquiao is the man!

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Pacquiao, The Killa from Manila!

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know what has happened to Morales. For the last two fights he now all of a sudden looks like a spent fighter.

6. coma

coma Contributing Member

Awesome, thanks for posting the spoiler right in the subhect line!

7. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

I agree, its time for Barrera and Paq

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly.

9. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Styles makes fights. Pacquia owned Barrera in their last fight.

He needs to fight JM Marquez again. He dominated him early knocking him down 3 times in round one, but after JMM figured him out, he won most of the rounds and it ended in a draw.

10. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Pacquiao should've won a judge made a scoring error which made it a draw. A rematch would be intriguing but Marquez has been ducking him since that fight. Barrera has been ducking him too. Props to Morales who had the guts to fight him, give him a rematch and fight him like a true warrior. He was a great fighter and it was almost sad to see him get beaten the way he did.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ni modo. Nos dieron en la madre.
    Oh, well. We got our *ss whipped. :(

Morales was better at the start, but I have to admire Pac-Man's speed and the way he kept going late in the 9th and 10th. Man-oh-man... if you watch highlights, you can see his mouth opening and showing the mouthpiece while he's punching, he's going "pah-pah-pow-pow-pah-pah-pah-PAM [b*tch!]!!" to Morales. Ouchie.

12. tested911

tested911 Member

Anybody know where I can see clips of the fight online?

13. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Did Pacquiao do some prison time?

14. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I'll tune in next Saturday and see it for free. I was downtown watching the Renegades fights at the Verizon. I really missed a good one. :mad:

15. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Wow I didn't know people still watched boxing. Are there any fighters worth seeing?

16. SamFisher

I hate it when I see comments like this.

If you're the kind of person who only watched boxing casually because of Mike Tyson in particular and the HW division in general and care more for quick KO's than anything else, then no - there is nothing like that going on, and your time and money are best spent elsewhere.

If you're interested in the sport for other reasons, the lower divisions from featherweight up through light heavyweight are loaded with talented fighters who put on spectacular fights that are far better than any heavyweight paw-a-thon. Corrales-Castillo I last spring was one of the greatest fights of all time, and that's just one example.

17. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

granted I was never a hardcore boxing fan it used to be one of my favorite sports. I hate Mike Tyson also and have no desire to watch him do anything. I guess with all of the belts and different champs and no one to be a poster boy for boxing right now has made me quit watching. Who can I cheer for? Who is worth watching? I listen to sports radio all day and literally nothing ever comes up about boxing. It is a great sport and I wish there was something or someone that could get me back into it. But I am a huge MMA guy and that fills any boxing void I might have had the last 5 years.

18. SamFisher

I went from liking MMA to liking Boxing, sort of the opposite.

Anyway worth watching, IMO:

1. Go back and buy/beg/borrow/steal a copy of Corrales Castillo I from April 2005. Hands down, the greatest fight I have ever watched as it happened. I was watching it with non-boxing fans and they were like "wow!"

2. The era of the great late 90's early 2ks middleweights and welterweights (Hopkins, De La Hoya, Trinidad, and some lesser fighters like Mayorga, Vargas, etc. I would count Sugar Shane but he is still holding on) is over, but the new gen is starting to assert itself. Jermaine Taylor is the new king of the hill wtih his deadly jab , having done twice what no man had done in a decade - beat Hop. Kassim Ouma is also an exciting fighter a class down that for some reason never gets any play - nobody throws more punches per round than Ouma.

3. Floyd Mayweather Jr. is IMO pound for pound the best around right now and worth watching whenever - I think he next fights zab judah in april in what should be good.

4. Ricky Hatton - the best English fighter in ages who dethroned Kostya Tzu - Hatton/Castillo or Mayweather or Corrales would be awesome.

5. The continuing round-robin war in the featherweight divisions between Pacquiao (possibly the best p4p power puncher around), JM Marquez, Morales (who may be spent), Barrera - though it could maybe use some new blood at this point.

6. Jeff Left Hook Lacy - the guy gets no props but he's a fantastic inside brawler with enormous power and fights inside street brawls at super MW. He gets no props because his division has only one other big name (Joe Calzaghe) who is a propped up Brit who always dodges him. I'd love to see Lacy blow him up before moving up to CW or HW.

Also, there's some young guns with big names who might be the next big thing, like JC Chavez Jr. and Andre Ward (US Olympic gold medalist)

19. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

now thats what im talkin about! filipino pride yall!! go pacquiao!! i hope they do a rematch for him and barrera!