1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boxing classes in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Jan 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Been looking to pick this up as a hobby, can anyone recommend any good places to start? No clue where to begin.

2. ling ling

ling ling Member

The 5th Ward has free classes daily and twice on Sunday's. ;)

3. PointForward

PointForward Member

bump.. I've been really interested in getting into boxing and I really haven't found anything on the googles. Anyone know of a decent boxing gym in the medical center/midtown/galleria area?

4. Garner

Garner Member

Clutchfans fight club?

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Me too man, let me know if you find anything, I'll let you know as well.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Savannah Boxing Club. It is on bellaire. Home of the baby bull.

7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I train mixed martial arts in all fields and have been all throughout Houston, here are my recommendations

Golds Gym in Sugarland has a pretty good boxing instructor and alot of great UFC/MMA Pro's guys train there aswell (Charles Oliveira and Evangelista Cyborg) with so many Brazilians who consistently fly in to prepare for matches, the Muay Thai is really top notch. .

Gracie Barra Katy has an awesome world class kickboxing instructor (san shou) named Alex Cisne with awesome credentials

My absolute favorite boxing (strictly boxing) gym in Houston however and I HIGHLY recommend it is Lone Star Hitters

Address: 17410 West Little York Road, Houston, TX 77084
    Phone:(832) 689-8614

The boxing head was #3 in the world, # 1 contender, and 3-time N.A.B.F. Champion and has been on plenty of HBO fight cards, he knows his stuff and will give you amazing footwork and especially a perfect jab. However my favorite aspect of the gym is the environment, it has a gritty, seedy Rocky movie type atmosphere while also being family friendly.

When I go in I know I'm ready to box the environment says 'this is boxing'

Also everyone helps out everyone, it's very close knit, Don't expect the glamour and beauty of a Gracie Barra. no no expect a dirty mean badass place to learn some amazing real boxing. If you are out of shape, he will get you in shape.

If you don't know boxing expect your first couple hours doing nothing but learning exactly how to throw a correct jab with proper footwork and all. Yeah he will make sure that you wont have to think or anything that your jab will be naturally perfect without hesitation.

#7 Realjad, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. PointForward

PointForward Member

Repped. Thanks for the great advice.

Can you shed more light on how the whole thing works and a ballpark estimate of the monthly cost? I understand that it probably varies greatly depending on what I want, but I'm just looking for a good workout in addition to my weight training and to learn the art of boxing for practical purposes. I'm not looking to compete or anything like that I just wanna get in better shape and get some self defense in the process basically. Also, what would the recommended schedule look like (how many days a week?). I'm a student and I kinda have a tight schedule.

Thanks in advance man

9. PointForward

PointForward Member

Can you tell me more about this place? estimated cost? Couldn't find anything about it online. Seems like it's in kind of a questionable neighborhood, but I live in the medical center so it is extremely close and convenient for me.

10. jae713

jae713 Member

4oz fight club in NW on 1960 and Jones is were I went. Boxing instructor will kick you ass in to shape. Rocky is his name. Badass dude.