1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Box Scores

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Houstunna, Jun 10, 2024.

?

What is the biggest factor (besides 3PT%) in your opinion?

1. Rebounding

2. Turnovers

3. FG%

4. FTA

5. 3PT% isn't the biggest factor in the first place

6. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I love numbers -- and one thing I like doing is checking box scores, especially without knowing the final outcome, and considering the differences in numbers between the two teams and making a final determination on which team won and by how many points.

These are the main factors I consider, in order:
    1) 3PT% difference
    2) rebounding difference
    3) FG% difference
    4) turnover difference
    5) FTA difference

Obviously, good defense or good offense are each 50% of the game, but it's too broad an answer. I think 3PT% is too obvious an answer too for a poll <--- do you agree?

My box score predictions don't always work due to other factors (i.e. number of FTA might not matter if the FT% difference is massive, a team shoots a high 3PT% but was lacking attempts comparatively, etc) -- but the prediction works 80% of the time within 4 points.

What is the main factor (besides 3PT%) in your opinion for winning basketball games?

Feel free to post the 2nd and 3rd biggest other factors of how games are won and lost...

2. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

Forget boxscores. I seek out DD's opinion and take the opposite view of the player. Works like a charm.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, the two stats people overlook the most are TO differential and O-rebound differential. Many times these "generated extra possessions" explain the difference in a game by themselves. A third stat I sometimes use behind these is the difference in 3-point shots made.

I take a quick look at those before moving on to the more obvious stuff.

Total rebounds can be a misleading stat because it's often just a result of one team shooting a much worse percentage than the other.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The thing about O-REB's is the situation is generally chaotic which leads to defenses not being set -- open 3PA's and easy putbacks at the rim.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

shenj's statline is all that matters at the end of games

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Assists.

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

All of these stats are 100 years old and don't tell you anything.