1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bottom Retainer Came Off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Feb 21, 2011.

1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

so i just got retainers today. the bottom piece is supposedly permanently glued between the lower front teeth. i just had dinner and was brushing teeth and it came off easily. i wasn't brushing hard or anything. obviously i will call tomorrow and try to get it attached again. but, are there better options out there? i don't mind the top piece since it comes off easily. but the bottom piece makes it hard to floss and all. also, i don't want to worry about swallowing it in the future if it came off while i am eating or something like that. any idea on the price for the alternatives out there? thanks.

2. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I had my bottom teeth glued on type retainers and they've never came off once (I had them on for almost 15-16 years). I still have them and I am used to them.

However, I am noticing one my teeth is going crooked. So I gotta get these retainers realigned or taken off. My dentist has told me not to take them off but what is the point of them if my teeth are going crooked?

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It happened to me, too. They'll give you a plastic retainer that you place over your bottom teeth. It's a little more annoying because it's almost like wearing a mouth guard for your bottom teeth, so you feel it all the time and it affects your speech. But eventually, you'll get to the point where you only need to wear your retainer to sleep.

4. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Lol, mine came off too one time just from eating an apple.

125 dollar replacement fee..

5. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

hm... i will ask about the plastic ones. some coworkers told me that they had the metal one on 10/20 years and never came off once. i guess if the plastic one makes it easier to floss and not worry about anything come off, it would be worth it. hopefully it's not too expensive or it's still covered.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

J-B Weld

7. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Wow, mine must have some amazing adhesive... I've had mine for 21 years and it's never come off or gotten loose once in that time.

8. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

happened to me about 12 years after getting braces removed. Went to the orthodontist and got a removable plastic one to wear at night for $50. The wire was convenient, but made my dentist check-ups painful when the dug around it to get all of the plaque off.

9. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Oh No....

your retainer fell..
    in the sink