1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Mayor Letter to Chick-Fil-A bashes them over their anti-gay stance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RedRedemption, Jul 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Noted:

As long as you are treated well personally, to hell with civil rights.

You would have loved the days of slavery. You didn't even need coupons back then.

2 people like this.
  2. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

what in the hell does a quality experience at Chick-Fil-A have ANYTHING to do with slavery?

I can't wait for some of you guys to actually own your own business...really.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

neg rep

just pure idiocy

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

sorry for the non-political correctness of this next item:

Q: You have two bullets in a gun. You have Hitler, Bin Laden, and Bud Adams in a room. Which two do you shoot?

A: Simple. You shoot Bud Adams twice.

(sure we've all heard that before)

5. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

This was my stance but the more I think about it, the more I'm feeling a slight guilt. True nobody will die from this but it's farcry versus Chick-Fil-A president simply stating his thoughts on the subject. They are using my money to fund other groups that ACTIVELY protest against SSM.
    BUT THAT GDAMN CHICKEN IS SO GOOD...

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

For what it has to do with slavery vis-a-vis civil rights and how the poster I replied to valued a personally pleasant experience with a business that spends money to prevent civil rights over the fight for civil rights itself, I direct you to the aforementioned poster. I was only replying to him.

As to your second sentence, I have successfully run two non-profit businesses over the course of nearly 15 years now. My businesses have counted people of all political persuasions among their patrons so it's not especially wise for me to be so outspoken about my political opinions, a thing I am most definitely outspoken about here, in print or online elsewhere, and in person, with people I agree with and people I don't. But I still do it. The difference between me and the guy in question is that I am on the side of right and equality and he is on the side of hate and bigotry. One of my board members is an avowed Republican and we have spirited debates often. I also do so with a major donor that is a Republican. Of course, neither of them are opposed to equal rights for all and they are both embarrassed by their party's position on gay rights. Interestingly, they each own businesses as well; one is a real estate mogul and the other runs a financial advisory group.

The difference between me as a sort of CEO (non-profits don't have that position on staff and only sometimes on boards) and the guy that runs Chik-fil-A is that I don't oppose equal rights for anyone and, though the law would prevent an organization with our tax designation from doing so, we don't donate money to companies employing lobbyists to oppose equal/civil rights.

So, if you can't wait for me to run a business, you're 15 years late.

And if you can't tell the difference between running a business and using revenues from that business to actively oppose equality among all Americans, I can't help you.

He's a bigot; I'm not. And, as I said previously, Marge Schott operated a far larger business than I do and that did not shield her from her status as a pariah once she began to spew hate speech.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . . it is ok . . . as long as it is not stated

Rocket River

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Menino shouldn’t block Chick-fil-A because of president’s views
    EDITORIAL | EDITORIAL
    THIS STORY APPEARED IN THE BOSTON GLOBE

July 25, 2012
    The president of Chick-fil-A opposes gay marriage. While this view goes against the grain in a state that made history by embracing it, it’s no reason for Mayor Thomas M. Menino to oppose a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Boston.
    The fast food chicken sandwich chain was reportedly looking at property near Faneuil Hall at the location where the Purple Shamrock currently operates. Then company president Dan Cathy stirred national controversy when he said in an interview that “we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.” In response, Menino told the Boston Herald, “Chick-fil-A doesn’t belong in Boston. You can’t have a business in the City of Boston that discriminates against a population. We’re an open city, we’re a city that’s at the forefront of inclusion.”

But which part of the First Amendment does Menino not understand? A business owner’s political or religious beliefs should not be a test for the worthiness of his or her application for a business license.
    Chick-fil-A must follow all state and city laws. If the restaurant chain denied service to gay patrons or refused to hire gay employees, Menino’s outrage would be fitting. And the company should be held to its statement that it strives to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation, or gender.” But beyond the fact that Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays, the religious beliefs of the company’s top executive don’t appear to control its operations.
    The situation was different when Northeastern University blocked a proposed Chick-fil-A amid student protests. In that case, a private institution made its own decision not to bring the company in as a vendor. But using the power of government to freeze the company out of a city sends a disturbing message to all businesses. If the mayor of a conservative town tried to keep out gay-friendly Starbucks or Apple, it would be an outrage.
    Ironically, Menino is citing the specific location along the Freedom Trail as a reason to block Chick-fil-A. A city in which business owners must pass a political litmus test is the antithesis of what the Freedom Trail represents. History will render judgment on the views of Chick-fil-A executives. City Hall doesn’t have to.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-07-25/editorials/32831191_1_gay-marriage-business-license-freedom-trail

1 person likes this.
  9. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

It is not okay, but I can not accuse an individual if I do not know it is true. I would be basing my accusation off of an assumption.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Civil Rights?

Is the company not hiring gay employees?

Is the company not allowing them to use their bathrooms?

Are they refusing to serve them food even though they are willing to pay?

Are they spending money to prevent them from going to the same schools as heterosexuals?

Oh, they give their profits to an organization that tries to define marriage as being between a man and a woman. You know, something that is 100% natural (penises and vaginas were meant for each other, granted, I choose to put it elsewhere some times).

Oh yes, civil rights indeed. Certainly a need to bring slavery into the discussion. What a horrible person.

2 people like this.
  11. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

very well said.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yup, it is from Refman's signature!!

13. Manny Ramirez

I would love for someone to ask Dan Cathy on how old he thinks the earth is? Also, does he think dinosaurs existed on earth?

1 person likes this.
  14. Manny Ramirez

And I wasn't planning on boycotting Chick-Fil-A because if I thought of every business and their stances on things, it would make my head explode. However, Chick-Fil-A sets themselves up for stuff like that. And then add to the fact, that one of their PR guys created a fake facebook account and pretended to be a female Christian teenager was just too much for me.

I can't understand why if 2 people, regardless of their sex, want to be married, why it is such a big deal? Yea, yea, I know about the definition of marriage but considering that 50% of all marriages end in divorce (including mine), most homosexual partnerships last way longer; seems to me that letting gays marry would help bring the divorce rate down.

15. Major

Major Member

This needs to be repeated over and over again. For anyone saying one party is wrong and the other is right, both parties are simply expressing their views and espousing their values.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Would his answers stop you from buying chicken from him?

I guess we should all make a list of Deal Breakers.

It is interesting. We talk about truth and need of it.
    But when people say their honest opinion . . they get punished
    then we wonder why people are deceptive and devious about their opinions and motivations.
    because honestly we encourage it.

Question: Is it different than not supporting the CEO because he is Anti-Palestinian Statehood?

I guess the next questions are

What are you list of DEAL BREAKERS . . .that if you found out the CEO of a company did not support it. . .you would not purchase from them.

Rocket River

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Most homosexual partnerships last way longer?
    What is the source of this statistic?

Also. High Divorce rate is not necessarily a bad thing. That narrative is getting old too.
    There are many reasons it is higher than it was before
    the most primary reason is that women are no longer economically trapped in unhappy marriages. . . .do we want to go back to those days????

Rocket River

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Has anyone ever confirmed who that fake profile was? How do you know it wasn't just a person who likes Chickfila? Why do they have to be affiliated with Chickfila?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The mayor of Boston should have picked a fight with a much less delicious homophobic fast food chain.

20. Manny Ramirez