1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boston Herald] Celtics "very interested" in Mutombo; Rafer not wanted?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hoopgod13, Aug 1, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nice to see you emerge from the "BBall laboratory", too bad you are completely unable to think logically about this one.

You are the gift that keeps on giving, space cowboy.

2. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

I say sign Old Mo as a player/coach, if you sign him at all. If he does sign to play, this has got to be his last season playing. I'm not saying I would want him to be a coach for the Rockets forever or anything like that. But I would really like to see him work with Scola and Butler on a few things.

With this roster we already have, I don't see him on the playing roster unless Yao is hurt. Otherwise he's on the practice squad. Just one man's opinion.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Let the Celtics sign Mutombo for the minimum amount it takes to do a one for one trade -- Deke for Rafer. Everybody wins!

4. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Not sure if they are still interested in Deke, they just signed Scot Pollard

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/08/07/celtics_pollard_agree_on_deal/

The Celtics agreed to terms with free agent forward/center Scot Pollard yesterday, according to executive director of basketball operations/general manager Danny Ainge. The 6-foot-11-inch, 265-pound Pollard got a one-year deal believed to be worth the veteran minimum ($1.2 million for 10 years service). He adds a much-needed big man to the Celtics' frontcourt and raises the number of players under contract to 12, one shy of the league minimum.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Don't know if he is a space Cowboy, but he is dead on this one. We don't have a legit back-up C unless Deke returns. Popovich is among the most liberal and wide use of bench players in the league, stresses defense, and no big has an easier job than the one playing next to Duncan. If Butler couldn't get PT on that situation (remember a Denver throwaway in Elson starts at C there), it doesn't look like a good idea to count on him here. Of course we hope for improvement, but don't bank on it.

6. Rowdie Brandon

shame on those who still don't think we could use Deke as a backup.....

7. pillage

pillage Member

i think its a mistake to let go of deke, applying money ball theory, he brings a lot of value for the vet's min.

i'm indifferent about alston, i don't want to tradee him for peanuts, but then again i don't want him taking minutes from brooks

8. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

i know the celts hav interest in deke but how much does deke hav for the celts?

I hope he stays. Rockets wouldn't be the same w/o him.

And rafe ... I uno how high his trade value is. I still think we could get decent players with him, but if we were to trade him, I dont think we should give him up for just a so-so player that will only play 10-15min a game. Maybe I just have a problem of letting go of our guards. Really don't wanna trade him or head.

9. battousai

battousai Member

nah, we want deke back.

they can have all the trash no one elses wanted.

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I never wanted to let go of Deke. Butler is unproven. Scola unproven. Reed also unproven. We got a lot of unproven bigs with Scola maybe with the most mileage under his belt.

If Yao goes down that means we gotta play Butler at the Center position. Not real sure...no scratch that, I'm pretty sure I don't want to see Butler starting at the Center position. I think Deke is more than serviceable in case Yao goes down for an extended time. From the time that we first saw big Yao in a Rockets uniform...the prospect of watching him go through an entire season without an injury is not good if history is any indicator. If you can make a trade for another seasoned backup Center I'm ok with that. But that means picking up someone like Nene or Camby. Either that or Alonzo Mourning. Even at the risk of incurring the wrath of this board, I'd be ok with Dampier backing up Yao.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

With Garnett, Pierce and Allen in the roster, Mutombo knows he will be a great fit in the center position and his search for an NBA ring is closer to his grasp. Not only that, I'm sure Celtics will use their MLE and not their veteran salary. :mad: Hope we can keep you in Htown, Deke!! :confused:

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets don't neccesarily need to have Mutombo, but Morey said they are looking to get veteran help... whether it's Deke or someone else.

In fact, I'm thinking even if Dikembe returns, they might still go after another backup PF/C type in case age finally gets to him.

13. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Well if Morey can get us Nene I'd say he was the greatest GM in the history of the Rockets hands down!

14. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Nene is he on the trading block? I didn't know that :confused:

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

LOL anyone is on the trading block in the NBA. It's just a matter of situation/money and what you're willing to give up.

16. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

That being said, there's no way we are gonna get Nene..he signed a 60 million contract last year. However...this from the Denver Post

You think?" said an NBA executive, when asked if the league has buzzed with so much talk of blockbuster trades.

And the Nuggets are open for business.

Teams are actively trying to pry big men Nene and Marcus Camby away from Denver, according to NBA sources.

Nene, who averaged 15 points and nearly eight rebounds per game against San Antonio in the playoffs, i...

17. foodworld

foodworld Member

Celtics just signed Pollard for the vet's minimum, so I don't know what they can offer Mutombo.

18. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

We have a much better chance of getting Camby and Denver is actively shopping Camby around just like we are shopping rafer around.

19. Jd1

Jd1 Member

[​IMG]
    :eek: sighting of J.Oneal in Rockets uniform... maybe it's a hint?

20. Barkley

Barkley Member

:eek: It would be really great not only for us but I think for JO too