1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boston Herald] Celtics "very interested" in Mutombo; Rafer not wanted?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hoopgod13, Aug 1, 2007.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Don't you guys know that other GMs are reading this thread? If we want to get riddy of Rafery, we need to be pumping him up as the next Stephon Marbury.......wait........errr.........

We need to be spreading the Reefer, I mean Rafer, love. :D

2. javashot

javashot Member

LETS TRADE DIK FOR KG

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

not useful like last season when yao was out and rockets sped up their play?

4. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

They didn't really run fast breaks

so i don't know what you are saying they did some when Chuck was out there though.

5. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

That's what we all thought about Juwan but we have since learned that Morey is a wizard. Ye have little faith.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Celtics still have a large portion of there MLE.. i could see deke getting big minutes there. he's only competion kendrick perkins.

7. likethis

likethis Member

they just signed Eddie House
    according to celtic-nation.com

i dont think they want rafer
    they just found their "shooter"

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

They signed house?. for how much?.i assume there goes there portion of the MLE they had left.

9. awo86

awo86 Rookie

the Celtics need a distributing PG. They've just signed eddie house, who is more of a 2 guard. If they can't get brevin knight to budge to a minimum contract, they will have to look at Rafer Alston. I really think Rafer's game is an even better fit to that roster than Knight's game. Rafer is really undderated as a defender as well as a spot up shooter, especially on this board. Underrated, period. Stupid fans would say how rafer shoots bricks all the time. Sure, his floaters suks and his penetration suks, but his shot up shooting is above average. That's what the celtics need, a PG ho can shoot it, has some leadership, can hold his own against super stars, and a guy who can bring the ball up and be a spot up shooter instead of a distrbuter on offense. the three star will play the role as a playmaker in offense. Brevin is more of a playmaker on the offensive end. I doubt his defense is as good as rafers. I doubt his handle is as solid as rafer's.

I don't care if we receive only one late first pick for rafer, because they need him and we don't.

10. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Sign Deke and keep Rafer. The way the injury bug has hit us the last two years they are insurance for me. The added benefit would be to reduce the season minutes for Yao, Tracy, et al for the playoffs which is where we all want to be in April '08. Why not have everyone fresh for the main event.

Hold our aces till mid-season, and if there is a need then we try to fill it then.

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I rather keep rafer then trading him. i dont trust james and francis with the ball.rafer is the only capebale Ball handler.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Well put, though Rafer is better than Knight for them. Rafer is a better defender and has 3 range.

For what I can figure they can offer, Scalabrine (terrible contract) + Tony Allen (some talent but in their deepset position, mid low expiring contract), Rafer and change is as good as they can do I would think. Or if the have a TE, Portland's 08 2nd rounder should do.

Other options for teams trying to dump PGs for next to nothing could include Watson, Banks, Lue, A Johnson, Stoudamire. Alston is better than those guys though one could make a case for Watson, except his contract and shooting are both worse.

13. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Link

these Deke to Boston rumors are really annoying :mad:

14. chrispaul3

chrispaul3 Member

I think our trio is rather:

Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, and Shane Battier....

It was supposed to be Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, and Bonzi Wells last year...

but instead, offensively, its Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, and Rafer Alston :(

I really think Steve Francis has a lot of game still in him he is just reaching his prime, and he can still score in bunches, so he could still be our 3rd scorer...

15. chrispaul3

chrispaul3 Member

Oops, wrong thread...

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Boston don't have a TE. Trading Rafer to the Celtics doesn't look possible in their current situation. They're in a state that they need Scalabrine.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

How about John Lucas III to the Celtics for the Portland 2008 second rounder? I know Lucas isn't as good as House, but at least Lucas actually plays point guard. House is a designated gunner off the bench. Lucas could give them depth at PG.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Until Bell, Knight, Boykins, Hudson, McInnis, and Pargo are all signed I doubt any team will want to trade for Lucas.

19. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Go to the Steve Francis thread, there is an interview where Morey says he wants to resign Deke. Now this is something I"ve thought about. Deke hasn't been signed yet? Why? Ok Deke is in Africa overseeing the Hospital project. He's not signed because he's over there and not yet come back. I guess he could sign if he did it by fax but if you look at how Scola was signed, he came to Houston first and signed. When it's time, I really think Deke will sign a deal and be a Rocket to end his career.

20. BBall Scientist

They really need to re-sign Mutombo. If Yao has another 30 missed games Butler is starting and who even knows backs him up, Hayes probably, which moves another PF like Landry (a rookie) or SF/PF Novak (he's 6-10 234 now but still) to Scola's backup.

I mean it would be ridiculous if the Rockets let Mutombo walk, especially considering there's a good chance they face Boston in the finals. Scola and Yao against KG and Mutombo at the end of a game in the finals should not be allowed to happen, because in keeping Mutombo the Celtics just would not have enough.

Also on the Spurs' fan forums they are all hot to trot about adding Mutombo. You have one of the top 2 probably backup centers in the NBA, with a starting center that has missed a lot of games the last two years, you definitely keep that backup center.