1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boston Herald] Celtics "very interested" in Mutombo; Rafer not wanted?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hoopgod13, Aug 1, 2007.

1. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

Mutombo may not be that useful anymore.

Rockets are a high paced team now like the suns when Yao is on the bench.

I think Mutombo might leave its 50/50 now.

2. aamir

aamir Member

I love Deke, and would love to see him back with us next year, but I don't see it happening.

Boston would be a great spot for Deke. I want him to get his championship. Unfortunately, that would make things a lot harder for us. Garnett and Deke would be a terrifying match-up for Yao and Scola/Hayes should the Rockets meet the Celtics.

3. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Heck if Boston gets Mutumbo, it could come back and bite the Rockets in the Butt if both teams reach the Finals.

Which I'm expecting both Boston and Houston to be very likely teams in the Finals.

A remach of Houston and Boston.

Yao
    Scola
    Battier
    McGrady
    Francis

vs.

Perkins
    Garnett
    Pierce
    Allen
    "Point Guard"

Keep Mutumbo away from Boston!!!!

4. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Am I the only one who thinks its too early for us to start worrying about finals matchup problems with the Celtics? :rolleyes:

I'd love for us to be in the finals - but I'm not about to count on it yet and I'm certainly not ready to give the Celtics a pass into the finals yet. I want Deke to come here because I think he was a great backup - not because I'm worried that the Celtics will get him and thus beat us in the finals. If he doesn't come here, I don't care which team he goes to as it'll just be disappointing regardless. Let's not put the cart before the horse just yet...let's work on finishing off a team to get us to the finals - not a team that will beat who our current projected finals match up will be.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Rather keep Deke, really, with Ming pullin 'double duty' concerning both NBA and China, I think we gotta have enough fallback options so the guy doesnt get totally burnt - Yao +Deke +Butler fits that bill. That said, hey if we can get a first rounder (even late) - then ya gotta do it, as unfortunate as it would be. Hey, since Dream seems to be back in the loop, I bet he could STILL be a serviceable backup option, if heaven forbid the injury bug bites.
    Raefer on the otherhand, we just wanna get out from under his contract. Ditto for JL III. With James, Stevie, and Brooks, in the mix, any other point guards are just superfluous. Expiring contracts, draft picks, 6 pack of Bud, whatever, we just gotta move 'em and free up some cap room for the future.

6. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Boston has no tradable assets that they are willing to part with. They don't want to take on Rafer type of contracts either, considering how much they will pay the big three. There is no deal between us and them.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, I agree - I have been looking over the rosters back and forth, but I don't see anything that would work and make sense.

8. The Brian

The Brian Member

deke should stick with us.

we can finally get him a championship this year. :)

9. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Ideally, I think Rafer would fit in well with Boston. The only problem is his salary, which Boston will not want to pick up after the Garnett trade.

10. Guru

Guru Member

Boston needs a cheap back-up PG to split minutes with Rondo, and looks like they are close to signing eddie house. Let's see now Heat (check), Celtics (check)...ummm, how about the Magic?

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

maybe sort of unclassy to trade Mutombo at this stage in his career.

12. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Celtics just added guard Eddie House. That makes a Alston deal look less likely.

13. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

ur not alone man. some people here are wayyy too optimistic. I just hope all these additions we made gel together and we can get out of the first round.

14. AGBee

AGBee Member

News flash : nobody wants Rafer or his contract.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Rondo is a terrible 3 point shooter, and relative to Rafer he actually scores very little overall and is careless with the ball (higher A/TO ratio). Knight has a good A/TO, but also makes Rafer look like Mike Bibby in terms of jump shooting range and accuracy.

A Rondo/Knight PG spot is one sure way to put the breakes on the Celts trio and insure they are not going to make the finals. Rafer at least is adequate in a spot up 3 point shot. Rafer is also safe with the ball and plays good defense. He is a much better option at PG for that team than Rondo or any FA I can think of, unless Boykins is still available.

But we would have to take Scalabrine with Tony Allen to make it happen. If I were Boston I'd definetly do the package I mentioned last page over the options I am hearing. I'd be sick if I were KG, Ray and Paul, drew the double, and had to pass to Rondo or Knight for a jump shot and just kill all the hard work in creating space. Yes Rafer is much better by comparison.

16. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

maybe we trade with the and1 team and pick up Hotsauce, AO, or Da Professor

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd take that deal. Scalabrine is an absolute write-off scrub that I'd be tempted as a gm to tell him don't bother packing because I'm going to pay you to stay home. But Tony Allen is totally worth it. In fact, I'd even take their poison pill (Brian) and even sweeten the pot more with their choice of JL3, Novak, the rights to Landry, or a second. I might even throw Luther into the choices. Tony would be a great backup and give Tracy more rest.

Plus the C's wouldn't have to have an R. Allen and a T. Allen.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What exactly has Tony Allen do with his life to make him worth anything?

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I think......

1. Re-read the article and the thread title. The premise of the free agent section of the article, aside from talking about the Celt's interest in Mutombo, was to discuss their plans for attaining a point guard. Marginal players like Eddie House, Troy Hudson and what not were discussed when in reality we all know that Rafer is better than any of those guys and right now Boston probably needs a PG more than anybody. Sure, I saw that they just signed Eddie House who is basically a homeless man's unathletic version of Luther Head but whatever....

My point was to talk about out how I think a Rafer-to-Boston play is all but pointless now due to Boston having such a scarcity of tradeable contracts. I think i'd roll over and vomit if we pulled off some form of Rafer/Scalabrine deal or anything along those lines.

Alston was discussed in this thread and I simply suggested an alternative. It happens all the time in these forums. Don't give me this "wrong thread" crap.

2. Why do you think the Rafer-for-Doleac rumor was even discussed in the first place? Because we need a fourth center, right?! Or...could it be that we want an expiring contract in return?

In my suggestion we get the expiring contract we're seeking and perhaps more importantly we re-acquire Cassell. This move would have Rockets fans doing backflips. No, we don't really necessarily need Cassell but at the same time we don't need Rafer or JLIII either. We have our PG rotation set and Rafer is the odd man out. Cassell doesn't have much left and the best option at the point the Clippers have is fresh off of this......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_-tRHqo1TnI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_-tRHqo1TnI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Point being the Clippers could use Rafer and the Rockets could use Cassell. Cassell would be valuable not only as an expiring contract but also as a key piece off the bench for our hopeful deep playoff run. If the game is tied and the clock is winding down there aren't many better options in basketball than Cassell. Bring him home.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

As a healthy player he is a underrated sg that could start on some teams but would make an excellent backup for any team. However, I forgot he blew out his knee in Jan 07 and may never be the same.

I take back my gm approval seal.