1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boston Herald] Celtics "very interested" in Mutombo; Rafer not wanted?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hoopgod13, Aug 1, 2007.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They can't have our Mutumbo!

2. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

I'm not so sure Deke is still a fit here. We can let him sign for a contender like Boston without hurting his feelings.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Since the Rockets are already over the luxury cap and are unlikely to get under it,they should target P.J.Brown with the LLE. He can be insurance if Deke doesn't sign with us and also as a veteran defensive PF. Getting a younger player like Foster is going to be much harder.

4. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I think...

1. Wrong thread

2. With Francis, James, Brooks, Head, Bonzi, and McGrady still on our roster after your proposed trade, another guard is not what the team needs.

5. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Forget it. Mutombo will stay with ROX. Period.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What Celtics need to do is surround KG-Allen-Pierce with shooters. Shooters that can consistently make open jumpers to open things up for their trio. The last thing they need is someone like Rafer who will be left open time and time again to help on the Celtic stars. Rafer's shooting will single handedly bring the Celtics down.

Having said that, I would be ecstatic if Rockets unload Rafer to the Celtics for some nice picks or TE or whatever if the Celts want to commit suicide.

Hey! I am a Rockets fan, not a Celtics one.

PS. It will be interesting to see if Ainge is really that stupid to add Rafer's substantial contract to keep inflating that luxury tax payroll. I hope he is.

7. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Man, but Boston sure has a better shot at winning it all... There is no better selling point than that... :(

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

How about Scalabrine and Tony Allen for Rafer, JL3, Novak and the rights to Landry. It works.
    http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4153235

Or, if Boston has a TE from the KG deal (some have said this might have happened I'd take their Portland 08 2nd rounder and the TE coverage for Rafer.

In truth Rafer is better than Rondo and better than any FA point guard available. Heck, JL3 is about as promising as most the guys discussed. Rafer would be a good signing in their effort to win with their key 3 players. Tony Allen is their only person after their big 3 of any trade value, but he does play their deepest position--so to gain a vet PG, some other bodies with a little potential, and get rid of Scalabrine's terrible contract, it might be worth it.

9. intersync

intersync Member

there's always a chance for a Dark Horse candidate, right? ;)

10. intersync

intersync Member

...what?

11. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

1) Deke is an unrestricted FA. He can sign with whomever he wants. I hope he signs here. Until he proves otherwise that he's too old, he's worth his weight in gold, and we couldn't spend any money better than having him as a backup to Yao. He was the best backup center in the league last year. Geez. The only way Boston could trade with us for Deke is if he did a S&T, and then we'd have to take back something from their roster.
    2) Boston may need a PG, but there's no one on their roster that they would trade, other than Rajon Rondo, (who they will not trade), who I would want in return for Rafer, including TEs or picks. They've traded away all the good stuff, sortof like where we were at after the McGrady trade.

Even though Morey is from Boston, and would certainly know their roster, and have a good relationship for trading, I don't see Boston as a good trading partner now for anything.

I have a feeling our next trade will be with New Orleans again.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Rafer IS better than Rondo (at least right now), particularly with that vet team, and he is better than Eddie House, Troy Hudson, and Brevin Knight. Charlie Bell you could make a case for, but he is restricted, and more of an SG anyway. Amd yes, I could easily see JL3 become an Eddie House junior. But that is more because Eddie House is a schrimpy undersized 2 chucker who isn't even that good at that (at least Boykins is good at that).

13. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

time to buy out alston boys and girls..no one want him at his current cost

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Can I have a toke?

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

We would be idiots not to sign Deke. JVG misused him in the playoffs. The guy used to be a former All-Defensive Player. He could have blocked some of Boozers shots.

Lets not forget this run when Deke actually got minutes. Look at the stats, the guy was pretty decent.
    [​IMG]

16. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

Celtics are probably planning to sign Brevin Knight.

Brevin Knight is very underrated but injury prone.

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Give us Garnett...

18. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

lol gotta give ya that one.. Garnett for Deke :D

19. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

As much as I like Deke, I'd prefer to let him leave and keep Jackie Butler around. I think Butler could be a nice role player for years while this is the last go around for Deke.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You guys are overestimating the value of mutumbo, especially in the new system.

He hit the fountain of youth for a little while last year but tailed off in the end and looked like he did in 2006: done.

Great guy but from a basketball standpoint, not a huge loss.