1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boston Herald] Celtics "very interested" in Mutombo; Rafer not wanted?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hoopgod13, Aug 1, 2007.

1. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1014584

Free agents come calling the Hub
    By Steve Bulpett and Mark Murphy / Celtics Notebook
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - Updated: 07:04 AM EST

In a rather amazing turn of events, Boston has suddenly become a desirable city for NBA free agents. Agents for legitimate veteran players were actually calling the Celtics [team stats] yesterday, looking to place their clients in Boston as news of Kevin Garnett’s arrival spilled out further.
    Presently, agents and league sources confirm that the Celts are looking at four point guards and five big men as they try to find the right players to support their talented trio.
    Eddie House, Troy Hudson, Brevin Knight and Charlie Bell are reportedly on the point guard list.
    Bell is a restricted free agent, which makes his situation a little different (Milwaukee can match any offer he gets). Hudson had his contract bought out by the Timberwolves yesterday, making him a free agent. And while the C’s were previously steering away from Knight because of alleged locker room issues, a source said, “Hey, just about everyone that’s out there now has (a few) spots.”
    As for big men, Doc Rivers said the Celts are “very interested” in Dikembe Mutombo as a backup center, while P.J. Brown, Michael Ruffin, Calvin Booth and Scot Pollard are also under consideration.
    With money tight as the Celtics head into the market, rookies Glen Davis and Brandon Wallace may get larger roles sooner than expected.

Big 3 all smiles

The Celtics couldn’t have scripted a better infomercial than yesterday’s press conference. Their three stars walked out to their seats smiling broadly.
    “It’s official,” said Paul Pierce [stats].
    When he, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen were holding up their jerseys for the cameras, Garnett kissed his new threads. . . .
    When the show was over around 7:30 p.m., some of the Celts staffers went back to their offices to return calls to potential season ticket-holders.
    Ray remembers well
    The good thing about Allen’s age is that he can remember when a game between the Celtics and Lakers stopped time. With the addition of Garnett, Allen believes the Celtics may be heading back to that time - sort of.
    “I have great respect for this organization,” he said. “I remember when this team battled against the Lakers, and (the Lakers) were afraid to walk into the Garden. And we’re headed back there. Everyone here wants to win and the most important thing is that everyone is a good person. We share the same philosophy. We all played on teams last year with young players that had to mature. It’s such a great opportunity now to know what I’ll get every night.”

Better with age

Whoever said that a team based around three 30-something players is a team begging to break down obviously never spoke with Danny Ainge.
    Now that his core includes Pierce (30 in October), Garnett (31) and Allen (32), the Celtics director of basketball operations actually believes that these players will get stronger with age.
    “My feeling on this whole aging thing is that the Clippers had one of their best years ever two years ago with a 37-year-old point guard in Sam Cassell leading them,” said Ainge. “I don’t see any reason that Ray can’t be a great shooter at 36 or 37. If we spread the wealth, then there’s no reason why we can’t prolong all of their careers.”
    Much has already been made of Ainge’s friendship with his former teammate, Minnesota general manager Kevin McHale, and how it facilitated yesterday’s trade.
    “The reason we were able to make the deal is not because of Kevin’s and my relationship as much as that we were in the market for a great player in Kevin, and they were going young,” said Ainge. “That, more than anything, is why this worked.”

Rajon ready?

On the one hand, Rajon Rondo [stats] will be sliding behind the wheel of the Lamborghini Garnett alluded to yesterday.
    On the other, there are serious questions about whether the second-year point guard is ready to drive this powerful offensive machine.
    “My biggest concern for Rajon is him getting overwhelmed by the three stars,” said Ainge. “We need Rajon to play like Rajon. But in time he is going to feel more and more comfortable.” . . .
    Chiarelli chimes in
    Bruins [team stats] general manager Peter Chiarelli says that he doesn’t feel the need to make a big splash in order to keep the B’s relevant on the Boston sports scene.
    “I don’t really think about it that way,” Chiarelli said yesterday. “I’m happy that the Celtics [team stats] have improved their team. They’re partners of ours, so I’m happy for that. It’s also a little consistent to what we’ve done. They’ve traded one, possibly two, young players who are going to be significant players, plus a couple of draft picks.. . . They’ve done a little bit of that. I’m not saying that validates what what we’re trying to do, but we’re probably in the same ballpark with that. I don’t really think about it that way. But I guess you look around and see the success of the Pats and the Sox, and it makes you want to do better. And (the Garnett deal) is another one of those instances.”

#1 hoopgod13, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The Celtics don't have anything to offer. I don't see how we could do a profitable trade with them. Even draft picks are destined to be late first rounders at best.

Maybe... but I just don't see it.

3. battousai

battousai Member

Well, it depends on how much Boston willing to pay for Deke and how much do the rockets still want Deke.

I think at this point in time, Rockets may of lost interest in deke, or at least not as hot as before on him. we just have too many players on the roster now and last thing morey wants to do is adding a veteran player.

I think we may still have a shot in trading with Boston. Since morey still have connection there and hope in good relationship. Boston needs a PG that can pass but not necessary a good shooter. Rondo is great, but he isn't much of a passer or a play maker. He is a dump down version of tony parker. since no one else can play the playmaker role, Alston is a good choice.

which we may be able to send them alston plus JL3, and maybe bring in wolves as a 3rd trading team. we trade away alston, JL3, and sura plus filters.

4. n8rox06

n8rox06 Member

Isn't Deke a FA and can sign w/o having to trade?

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

First, I don't think the article ever said they didn't want Rafer. He just wasn't mentioned because he's not a free agent.

Second, the Celtics can have Deke. I'd rather give Butler the minutes at center when Yao is out. He's still young and developing. Let's see if he can earn that 2.5 mil of his.

Deke played well for us in a backup capacity last season, but when Yao went out for an extended period of time, you could really tell that it took a toll on Deke, especially by the end of the season. Deke is more than servicable in a backup capacity, but if Yao were to go down again, for any extended period of time, I'm not sure Deke could handel it.

I'd let him walk if Boston wanted to pay him more than 2 mil.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes. I'd assume he'd get vet minimum from either the Rockets or Celtics. I can see him going to the Celtics so he can go out with a bang. But, I also think it is more likely he sticks with us.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who says he can't go out with a bang with us..

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Literally. No TE's or players to make up enough salary to get anything from another team.

10. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Yeah, he could go out there "with a bang" but he KNOWS how old he is. Playing behind Yao is something he really considers great because it didn't take a toll on his body. He even said it after a game while Yao was hurt, that him playing limited minutes in the first half of the season was the main reason he was rested and ready to play the 2nd half.

If anything, Yao's his "fountain of youth".

Deke playing as Perkins back up just doesn't seem right. They'd probably split time eright down the middle and that's not gonna be good for Deke's old body. Regardless, if he goes to the C's, best of luck to him. That guy's got alot of class and deserves a ring. (Though his chances of having his ring are FAR better here imo... :) )

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I would be pretty sad to see Deke leave Houston. He deserves to retire here.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think Hudson is heading to the Cs for the backup pg position. Kevin and him seem to have a bond and he can be had cheap without losing a player (which they are short on) or pick.

Alston is running out of possible homes and JL3 is closer to becoming homeless. There seem to be a lot of pgs available out there. None I'd really want, but they won't cost the signing team anything but cash so the value of our 2 pgs is dropping. We might be going back to Miami and see if that Doleak deal is still available.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't remember about TEs... but agreed about the salaries... their other players either make too little money for salary matching purposes, or are in fact much needed given they just lack bodies with any kid of experience/skill, they really HAVE to look primarily at free agents rather than trades.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

brevin knight would be great for that celtic team. he is very underrated.

but like someone else said, celtics dont have much to offer.

15. pelbeaini

pelbeaini Contributing Member

I think Deke is still a free agent. The Rockets didn't sign him yet. Boston can sign him for the veteran minimum, and the league will pay a big portion of his salary. That's why they are interested in him, They are trying to fill the the roster with the least money, because they have about 52 mil invested in their big three.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Being a big Red Sox fan, I read the Boston Globe from time to time and I think it is more than the Celtics not having anything to offer us for Alston but also the fact that Rafer's contract is such a damn albatross. The Celtics need bodies and they would like to get them cheap so they won't have to pay much of the luxury tax. Taking on Alston's contract would put them over more than they would like on the luxury tax.

17. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I don't think Deke will go to Boston. He said he was going to retire after last season with JVG as coach. He thought about it when he learned Adelman was going to be the coach and decided on one more year. If traded I believe Mutumbo would retire.

18. Barkley

Barkley Member

It would be but I'm pretty sure it won't happen

19. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Keep Deke please, RESIGN THIS DUDE, HE IS STILL BETTER THAN HALF OF THE STARTING C's IN THE LEAGUE!

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I had a funny feeling when the Garnett deal went down that they were gonna try to dig up Deke. It'll be interesting to see what Deke does. He can still bring it for 15 minutes a nite.