1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Boston Herald) BC's Smith has promise

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by xiki, Jun 21, 2006.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bucks have promised Smith the #39. Danny Ainge has said he wants a 2nd to select him. Hmm, #7 for #8 + #32 -- if the 'right' guy is there at '7'?

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=144769

BC’s Smith courting an NBA future
    By Jeff Goodman
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - Updated: 06:44 AM EST

Craig Smith’s first contact workout apparently went well.

According to an NBA source and confirmed by Smith’s agent, Louis Lookofsky of All Pro Sports, the 6-foot-6, 250-pounder performed well enough for the Milwaukee Bucks in a workout last week that the team has given a verbal pledge to draft the former Boston College standout with the 39th overall pick.

Smith tore a ligament in his left wrist in Boston College’s season-ending loss to Villanova in the NCAA tournament. It looked as though Smith wasn’t going to be cleared to participate in team workouts prior to the NBA draft.

However, Smith was cleared for contact a week ago and the next day the Bucks flew to Houston, where he has been working out with former NBA player/coach John Lucas for the past month, to watch the forward in action.

“At first, it didn’t look like I was going anywhere, but I just kept at it with therapy and I got good news from the doctors,” Smith said. “I was kind of nervous in the first workout, but it went pretty good.”

Milwaukee is trying to move big man Jamal Magloire and the Bucks could be an ideal fit for Smith.

Despite the interest from the Bucks, Smith will fly to Sacramento tomorrow. He’ll work out for the Kings, who hold the 19th overall pick, on Friday. Then he goes to Seattle on Saturday, Golden State on Monday and the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday, the day before the draft. Seattle has three picks (Nos. 10, 40, 53), the Warriors also have a trio (Nos. 9, 38, 52) while the Clippers own the 34th overall selection.

According to NBA executives, Smith is projected as an early to middle second-round pick largely because he’s considered a ’tweener forward.

“I’m excited to have the opportunity to work out and move my stock up,” Smith said. “I didn’t know if I’d be able to do this. I feel confident, but at the same time I’m nervous because I haven’t really played against anyone in three months.”

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Maybe I'm blind - where does it say anything about Ainge/Boston? All I see is Milwaukee.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ainge has said it several times. Sorry, no link(s). Accept I've heard it or ignore it. Whatever.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Fascinating, Boston is targetting another undersized PF. Soon they'll be the new Knicks. Luckily their perimeter game has a great future.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If we're entertaining a trade with Boston, I would consider McGrady and #8 for Pierce, Gerald Green and Boston's unconditional #1 in 2007.