1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Globe: Austin Rivers at peace with how his career has turned out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Mar 9, 2019.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...-turned-out/k077XJOVxNpNUKuWQds7NN/story.html

GARY WASHBURN | SUNDAY BASKETBALL NOTES
    Austin Rivers at peace with how his career has turned out
    [​IMG]

Austin Rivers is averaging 10 points for the Rockets, mostly in a reserve role.
    By Gary WashburnGLOBE STAFF
    MARCH 9, 2019
    Austin Rivers didn’t plan for his NBA career to turn out this way. Four teams in seven years, waived by the Suns, looking for work not even a year after the Clippers traded him to the Wizards in what was supposed to be a fresh start.

But there he is, in the Rockets’ locker room after signing a contract to provide scoring punch for an oft-injured roster, trying to make the best of what has been a bumpy ride.

Doc Rivers’s middle son was supposed to be an NBA star. He was a high school phenom in Orlando, then moved on to Duke to play for famed coach Mike Krzyzewski, before leaving after one year to enter the NBA Draft.

Austin Rivers’s career has been series of flashes of approaching his potential, followed by slumps, injuries, and being cast as an offense-only player. Rivers came to Los Angeles to play for his father, and it worked out decently, but then he was shipped to Washington for Marcin Gortat, as the Clippers wanted to add a big man.

Rivers was never a fit with the Wizards and was then dealt to the Suns, who never had any intention of using him. Rivers was waived and then signed by the title-seeking Rockets, for whom in 32 games he is averaging 10 points, mostly as a reserve.

He feels comfortable, but he knows that feeling is fleeting in the NBA.

“It’s been a whirlwind to be honest. It’s been the toughest year of my career, to be completely honest,” Austin said. “I haven’t been used to change. I was in New Orleans for a couple of years and then I really adjusted to LA, and then you get traded to D.C., it’s not that big of a change, and then you get traded [to Memphis] and the trade doesn’t go through, and then you get traded, then waived, and then you come here. It’s a lot to deal with, physically, mentally, for my family.

“Where I was lucky where some guys aren’t is you get to land on a good team, in a good situation. The way I played, I knew I wasn’t worried at all about when I got waived. I’m happy I made the right choice.”

Rivers said he wanted to stay in Phoenix because of the perception that could result from being waived. He didn’t want to be a free agent during the season, a discarded former lottery pick looking for work.

“It looks bad because I’m sitting here thinking about my ego and my career,” he said. “This is my seventh year in the league. I need to be on a playoff team. I want to be on one of those teams. When [the trade] happened, I questioned what are we doing, and it was a lot mentally. Those four days I was waived, it was like two years. I’m watching people play basketball and I’m sitting here at home, like what the hell is going on?

“When Houston called, I was like, ‘I think this could be a great fit.’ I knew it was going to work, but I didn’t know it was going to be this [good].”

Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni asks his players to shoot when open, try to play defense, and give the ball to James Harden when he wants it. Easy.

“It’s been such an amazing fit,” Rivers said. “I’m very thankful.”

Rivers said he is at peace with his career not turning out the way he planned. He was thinking All-Star Games, scoring titles, and stardom. Instead, he has been with five organizations and played on four teams in seven years. Rivers is averaging 9.3 points for his career, including 15.1 last season with the Clippers.

“You just try to maximize who you are. I’m not caught in up trying to be better than the guys I [was drafted] with,” he said. “I’m trying to be the best me I can be. So whatever that is, that is, and I’m OK with that. I was the 10th pick, people were thinking could be an All-Star, but I turned out to be a pretty damn good pro. I’ve been here seven years. I’m a solid [expletive] player. On any team I’ve played for, I’m going to play good minutes.

“Am I an All-Star? No. Doesn’t mean I can’t be in the future. You never know. There’s been guys like Kyle Lowry, guys who been in the league for six or seven years and they go somewhere and it clicks. No one thought D’Angelo Russell was going to be who he was this year, and then he goes to Brooklyn and turns into an All-Star.

“I’ll never count myself out, but in terms of accepting who you are, I’m fine with that. I love where I’m at. I was 19 years old. I thought I knew everything and things don’t work, which is the first time in my life it didn’t work. Even at Duke it was easy for me, I was better than everybody. I come here, and I didn’t play well.

“I had to stop trying to point the finger and take ownership and figure it out myself. Once I did that, I did a complete 180 and every year I continue to build. I’m OK where I am at.”

Rivers said fatherhood has changed him. He and his fiancée, Brittany Hotard, had a son, Kayden, in August.

“I think [becoming a parent] changes us all,” Doc Rivers said. “It matures. I definitely think it’s helped him, no doubt about that. That was a blessing for him in a lot of ways, not just having a child, but I think it takes your eye off of other stuff, and none of that other stuff means anything anymore. It’s just the health of your family and doing your job, so I think that’s refocused him, for sure.”

Said Austin Rivers: “It’s given me an understanding of what’s important and not to overreact. Bad games. Good games. You come home and you’re still Dad. He don’t know nothing else. It gives you a perspective on life. It changes you. You have a kid and realize what’s really important. It actually takes pressure off everything. Nothing will come before fatherhood for me, ever in my life.”

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Austin is a valuable role player for us. I feel his defense can be very useful against Klay and Curry in the playoffs.

Go Austin! Go Houston Rockets!

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can’t believe how much I disliked this guy

Go Rockets!

4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Very real. Very raw. I appreciate the self reflection and the new found self awareness.

Also, doesn’t like change? Maybe come on back next season then.

5. rockets13champs

All Austin needs is a ring

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m hoping he becomes the next Kenny Smith

chadyang and Tfor3 like this.
  7. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I have no idea why everyone hated him before coming to Houston. I never hated him, but I felt he wasn't so likeable before. I guess people (myself included) had the wrong idea about him. Seems like a nice guy and I hope we retain him for a long time.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Good read and wish him continued success here in Houston

Hope he rings this year!

saleem and clutchdabear like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

What I can't understand is why PHX waived him. Rivers is young, defensive-minded and has some playmaking skills, he woukd have been a perfect fit alongside Booker have 0 clue why they waived him.

chadyang, BigM, Tfor3 and 7 others like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think what's funny is how different it is playing in Houston vs LA. There is absolutely no drama between Paul and Rivers at all like LA media want it to make it seem.

D-rock and BallSoHarden like this.
  11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

12. rockets13champs

We kinda have that Clippers team plus James Harden. Which probably should’ve won that 2015 NBA finals if not for them choking. U add Harden to the mix and u actually win that chip. That clippers team was actually one of the more fun teams to watch from 2012-2017

AnHero and D-rock like this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Nepotism, most likely. As if he'd be out of the NBA if it wasn't for Doc.

Jontro likes this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

i just wanna say... fukk kenny and his bday

15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

This what I always wondered?

16. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

LOLLL that will do it!!!

saleem likes this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Just to refresh everyone's memory...

18. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Paul said Shump has dog. Austin has it in spades as well. We are fortunate to have him.

D-rock, saleem and xiki like this.
  19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

We all love him for the same reason we hated him in another uniform: he got dog, and he irritates the daylights out of opponents because he makes you work for yours, and takes your lunch when you are not watching.

D-rock, Tfor3, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I used to hate him so much but seems like a humble guy who knows his role. I like this kid hope he kills it for us in the post season

D-rock, Tfor3, Roc Paint and 2 others like this.