1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston College fires head coach for interviewing with NY Jets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jayou, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jayou

Jayou Member

I guess I'm shocked that a school finally stood up for itself after the last few years of Saban, Petrino, and others stepping all over them...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/01/07/jagodzinski.fired.ap/index.html

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Congrats to them, I wish all schools would have the balls like this.

Sad thing is, if no one else follows them.....they have really hurt their chances of getting a good coach.

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I went to the Music City Bowl.....I didnt think BC's offense was all that. Then again, it was cold as the bejesus that day.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Good luck finding someone decent to coach there now.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Stupid decision. Its the nature of the beast. Who does Boston College think it is? Its like a mad ex-girlfriend situation. Shame on BC.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Horse s***. Good for BC. There will be plenty of people interested in the job. It's a good team in a BCS conference. They might even find someone willing to be there long term.

7. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

The guy was there for 2 years and was already looking for more money. Is Boras his agent? BC has more backbone than the rest of college football.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thats simply how it goes. People want to move up. You didn't see me whining when Gillispie went to Kentucky. Its the nature of college coaching. BC needs to deal with the fact that its not the sexiest thing on the block.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

BC is very very stupid and arrogant to think they are a better job than the NFL. It's professional courtesy to allow a coach to interview for an upward promotion. No decent coach will be coaching at BC any time soon all over pride and self loathing.

10. Major

Major Member

It's nice in principle, but it sucks for BC. They lost their best coaching option. They still have to pay him his full salary. And now the coach gets to go elsewhere, get paid by the new team, and get a double salary.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

He was under contract. So it depends on if the contract has something relating to this.

12. Major

Major Member

He was fired "without cause" according to the AD. That means, unless the coach agrees to a buyout of some sort (and there's no reason to), he's owed the remainder of his salary.

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

Im happy to see BC layeth the smack down. too often, schools, players, and fan bases get screwed over because of an over ambitious coach who always views his job as a means, not an end. A school believed in you, and this is how you repay them? The coach shouldn't be allowed to interview for any better position that is available. If you tell your boss that you are actively looking for a better job elsewhere, you think he would be happy? He'd fire you in a heartbeat. I'm a UH fan, but I hope that Todd Graham gets whats coming to him from screwing Rice over the way he did after only 1 year (while not nearly as bad, same goes for Briles at Baylor). Karma.

Hopefully, BC doesn't get screwed for doing the right thing.

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I think Major is right. They owe him the rest of his contract. So not sure what type of smack down it is when you get paid for not working.

15. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Less the value of whatever the salary is at his new job, I think.

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This is true, this is why us Aggies were really hoping Fran would get hired by San Diego State a few weeks back, but he blew the interview.

17. Major

Major Member

I believe this is only the case if the coach mutually resigns. That's why so much coaches do that instead of being fired. The school gets the benefit of the offset; the coach gets to avoid the label of being fired.

If it's a one-sided termination, then if the coach is fired, he gets paid the remainder. If the coach quits, he doesn't get any of the the remainder. That's my understanding, anyway.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think BC was wrong for this, though they had every right to. He is trying to move up to a higher paying job in an entirely different league, for a job that wasn't available when he took the BC job. Coaches should have to pay buyouts to leave a specific job, but shouldn't be forced into never interviewing. He isn't going to get the Jets job, and probably doesn't expect to, but wants to get his name out there, because that will help him in the future.

BC can only lose by doing this.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm also not that sure if he gets the remainder because it wouldn't be a transfer within the NCAA. I know that it works if moving from NFL team to NFL team, but I wonder if it applies since there is no relation between NCAA and NFL.

But I don't think this was a good move by BC at all. I understand wanting a guy for the longterm but this is the NFL calling and almost every coach will at least want the opportunity to interview. And the way it became public before the intereview took place is bad publicity for BC IMO. They'll get a good coach because they're in a BCS conference but unless you're a USC, Florida, Texas, OU big-time program, coaches are going to move, it's the nature of the business.

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I agree.

1) This is the ACC. Resumes were probably filling the AD's mailbox before the official firing announcement.

2) This is only a dumb, ballsy move if they're on the hook for Jags salary even if he finds another coaching job.

3) They will find a good coach who will say the right things, but BC will never be a destination job. It's a private school in Boston!

4) This firing sounds like a war of egos. The AD told Jags not to interview with the Jets. Was it unfair to Jags? On one hand, the guy gets paid $1 million/year and is under contract...show some respect. OTOH, you can't do a mock interview for a NFL head coaching job...if you land an interview, you have to do it for the experience.