1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bose Lifestyle Home Theater system

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Mar 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Just curious if any of you guys have a Bose Lifestyle system. After doing much research I think I am going to get the Bose Lifestyle 28 Home Theater system.

Can anyone tell me the sound quality difference between their regular dual speakers and the even smaller jewel cube speakers?

Is it worth the price difference to go with the jewel cubed speakers?

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

There's a reason Bose doesn't publish their speakers' frequency response.

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

For the love of all things sacred and pure, please do not buy Bose.

An objective look at Bose...

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

(I'd be more than happy to give recommendations regarding home theater equipment, if need be. I've helped all my friends -- and co-workers -- buy their systems...)

"No highs, no lows... Must be Bose."

4. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

No need Bose Sucks Infinity is way better Bose is just too expensive and the name is what carries the price.

That new surround system they have that has only 2 speakers is garbage and looks cheap but by far is not when it comes to the wallet.

Hell Ide buy a Sony system before Bose.:cool:

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I can't speak to the Home Theater portion of the Bose system, but as far as audio, you'd do better with something else, although to get awesome sound, you'll pay more with separate components . . . assuming you go with stuff that is all very high quality. I just finished my AWESOME audiophile system (designed for listening to music), and I've probably sunk a grand into it easy. And I'm looking at buying 2 more speakers (Sansui SP-X9000s!!!).

Bose has done some great stuff, and the Bose speakers from the 70s rock (I have 2 myself), but I know they are not highly regarded in the audiophile community (other than the 70s 601s and 901s). But then again, none of that Best Buy crap is . . .

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

FOR HEAVENS SAKE DONT BUY BOSE!!!!!!

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Okay a Bose 28 system goes for over $2500.

You can get a system much more powerful then that for probably a lower price.

Go for a Pioneer Elite VSX-37 or 39 (probably around a $1000)
    Energy Encore Speakers ($700-$800 on ebay)
    Toshiba SD 5109 DVD player ($300 or less on ebay)

That right there is what I have and it is much much better then any thing Bose can put together for that price range.

Bose is for (I'm sorry to be so blunt) stupid people. People who really dont know that much about home entertainment system. They just hear the name "Bose" and thinks it automatically equates to being the best. I mean Bose 28 is a pretty decent system, but not worth anywhere close to $2500 or even $1200.

Please do some research before buying Bose, you wont regret it.

Check out this site:

www.audioreview.com

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bose is decent, but overrated for the price you pay. You can probably build something better than that Bose system for about the same or less. Go to people that know about home audio (ie, not Circuit City or Best Buy) and ask them. I'm willing to bet 75-85% would snicker when you mention Bose. :)

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Outlaw 1050 6.1 Surround Sound Receiver $500

http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/1050.html

1 pair Klipsch SB-3 Main's $450 a pair
    1 pair Klipsch SS-1 Surrounds $400 a pair
    2 Klipsch SC-1 center channel speakers $560 for the two of them
    1 Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer $400

http://www.klipsch.com

Toshiba SD-5700 $250 or less.

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/dvd/current/SD5700.html

Klipsch is pretty tough about selling their speakers at list, but you can find them cheaper if you don't mind using the merchant's warranty instead of Klipsch's. That's what I'm going to do in my new house. The price for the DVD player is typical retail price, not list. Ypu'll probably have to pay the full five bills for the Outlaw, but it's worth every penny. It's not even funny how far superior this system is to the Bose, and it costs about the same---cheaper if you do some looking. This comes from someone who owns 6 bose speakers (and they were bought in the good 'ol days) and 7 Klipsch speakers...as well as a bunch of others.

10. coma

coma Contributing Member

Yes Klipsch is VERY nice.

I have (1) SC-1 center and (2) KSF 8.5 floor standing for sale if you're interested.

I'll let it go for cheap. They've been used for less than 40hrs.

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

OMG!!!

I just tallied up how much I spent on my total entertainment system . . . GOOD LORD!!!

Sansui 9090DB Tuner - Mint condition, cleaned and re-built, with Shipping - $600
    Kyocera DA-810 Audiophile CD Player, with Shipping - 300
    Re-Coning of Bose 601 (free) (1977 model, so they don't suck) - 120
    Sony DVD Player (don't remember which model - bought it refurb . . . nice one tho) - 200
    Cables - 150 (I will buy better interconnects later, but right now, the ones I have are great)
    Kickass TV - 400
    Shelving - 70
    Dreamcast with games and 4 controllers - 200
    Kickass, silent PC to TV and Stereo with wireless keyboard - 600

OH DEAR LORD!!!

It adds up so quickly . . . 2600 about

But then consider that the Bose 28 costs that much, and I have SO SO SO SO SO much more than that system provides.

The actual music part of it was about a grand to 1200.

But oh does it sound incredible!! I'm looking to buy 2 more speakers, and then it'll be fully complete . . . for now.

I think, when you're looking at a system, the first thing you need to do is assess what your desire is. Mine was to have a virtually perfect music-listening experience. Therefore, all the 6.1 surround speaker systems and such were not important to me, as they are not ideal for this. That's why I went with the older, sonically better (for music at least) components. If you want a home theater experience, Pole has the right idea.

Look into some Nakamichi stuff. I have a friend who's selling a Nak DVD player on ebay that is AWESOME. If I hadn't spent enough money buying stuff off him already, I'd already own it :)