1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Boris Diaw is a free agent this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And he is exactly what the Rockets have missed this season: a big guy who can shoot the ball from free throw range out.

None of Houston's true bigs can really shoot. Dwight and Asik are no threat at all from midrange or long distance. Jones and DMo have the occasional game where they make a couple 3s, but otherwise raise very little concern from the opponent shooting 16+ ft jumpers. Each of them shot 30% or less from 16 feet out. Dwight, Asik, Jones and DMo are all bad free throw shooters, too. Guys who aren't good at making 15 footers with no defender and no time pressure generally won't be good shooting live-action jump shots.

In the series vs. Portland, the team often had to go small in order to get any kind of spacing on the court. And that creates its own issues: either a size mismatch with Harden/Parsons guarding a much larger man or Portland also going small with a lineup that the Rockets also had a hard time defending.

Overall, the team played well offensively both in season and in the playoffs, but there are still issues. Opponents, especially those who are good/athletic defensive teams, can exploit the lack of spacing to jam up Houston's offense, which forces the team either to live with this or go small and lives with defense/rebounding issues.

Last season's team had shooting from the PF spot with Patterson, Morris (before the deadline) and Delfino (not a "big," of course, but having him soak up these "small ball 4" minutes means Harden or Parsons don't have to guard a much bigger guy) . They are not great players but created the space to let the likes of Harden & Lin drive to the basket. Extra shooting at PF would have helped clear space for Dwight Howard to work, too.

The Spurs, as good and smart as they are, had those spacing issues in games 3 and 4 vs. OKC while pairing Tiago Splitter (not a range shooter) with Duncan (decent, but not elite, midrange shooter) up front. Spacing the court with Boris Diaw and Matt Bonner helped them win games 5 and 6. OKC was forced to either live with Ibaka being pulled out to the 3 point line or go small, which ends up with Boris Diaw backing down his defenders with his big ass.

If the Spurs win the title this year, will they stay together for another run or will Tim Duncan (and Pop?) walk off into the sunset? Either case, will Diaw stick around or go play "Big Shot Boris" for another team?

Morey should visit Boris at midnight on July 1st with an MLE offer and something to sweeten the deal.

[​IMG]

2. NotChandlerParsons

He'd turn back into a pumpkin the minute he left a Popovich coached team. No thanks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Play07

Play07 Member

we had a guy like him: Ppat

4. basketballholic

5. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

His passing is incredible.

6. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

I would love Diaw's talents on this team. An incredible passing big who sees the court well and knows how to create his shot for himself or others when a mismatch occurs and best of all he can hit the outside shot when needed.

7. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

You are crazy, Diaw and Patterson are NOTHING a like. Unlike Ppat, Diaw can create from the post for himself or others and he sees the court very well.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'd love Boris Diaw on this team.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

plus for pop he seems to be dominant fat, not eddy curry fat

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Diaw had crazy potential until he got fat. Pops must have him a strict diet.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would not disapprove

Rocket River

12. bmd

bmd Member

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago. Lowry and Diaw would make good additions.

Lowry
    Harden
    Parsons
    Diaw
    Howard

But I have no idea how realistic that is.

13. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

And unlike Dwight, dude actually passes out of the post!

Also he's actually good in the post....

14. vator

vator Contributing Member

I'd much rather have Boris Diaw than Patrick Patterson. Diaw used to be a guard and he brings an amazing skillset to the table and I don't just mean the dinner table which is where he is truly most dominant. There isn't a crepe out there that he couldn't make his biatch.

Unfortunately for us though, why would he leave the Spurs to come here? He is in a great system that suits his talents, plays for a great coach and organization, and his best friend and fellow Frenchy countryman Tony Parker is there.

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

+100%. The Spurs get the most out of a player. The rockets cannot do that. not McHale, and not the current team chemistry, nor there is a vet to do that as well. A lot of the players play until they die for teh Spurs, and have a lot more heart than the rockets. they took theri game to the next level. Rockets are still searching for that extra gear for the time being.

16. Play07

Play07 Member

Nawh You're crazy comparing what u saw in a pop system to what u saw with here with Mchale in Houston, throw ppat in that spurs system u will see same if. It better results... the shots they took was what I was comparing their game to, ppat is young & diaw is a vet

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I would rather Mobley attract Pau by selling him on the Med Center

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Pat's not the passer, post player(scoring or passing), Diaw's ass is absolutely elite.

1 person likes this.
  19. vator

vator Contributing Member

The other guy is right. Boris Diaw has played in several other systems than Pop's and his game is nothing like Patterson's. They are completely different players. Diaw can handle the ball and pass. The only thing they have in common is the spot shooting and terrible rebounding.

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I would love Diaw on this team. His passing would be so amazing on our team.