1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boomer Esiason and Matt Millen got High on MNF

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 11, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On second hand smoke.

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/sto...during-monday-night-football-broadcast-011114

Boomer Esiason once got high during Monday Night Football broadcast

Have you ever been at a game or a concert and smelled some weird smoke near you?

We're talking about, mar1juana, of course.

Well, that happened to Boomer Esiason back in 2000 when he was calling a Monday Night Football game on the radio with Matt Millen. And apparently it was some pretty potent stuff because Esiason said he got high from it . . . during the broadcast.

The former QB and current broadcaster told the story Friday during his New York radio show "Boomer and Carlton" on WFAN. You're going to enjoy this tale:

"Now here's the deal. What you're saying, for some listeners or some viewers now that are listening to us for the first time, what you're saying is accurate. I did get high. I did. I didn't realize I was getting high when I got high, but I got high — and I have to tell you that it was one of the best broadcasts I've ever had."

Love the honesty. Let's hear more from Boomer:

". . . The radio booth is like a lean-to in the middle of the stands. And it's a (December) game. It's the Chiefs at the Patriots, both teams have major losing records, it's raining outside, it's cold, there might be about 40,000 people in the stadium, it is awful. And there's this grim reaper outside of our booth, and he's got a hoodie on and he's got a big ol' puffy jacket on, and he's smoking weed. And he's blowing it into the lean-to."

Please, go on, Boomer . . .

"I mean, we're 3 minutes into the game and Matt Millen's already looking for something to eat. And Howard David is trying to keep us focused on the game, and Matt Millen and I are talking about everything but the game.

"We have the second-hand smoke going on. Now, we obviously know what's happening, but we don't necessarily know that we're reacting to what's happening. ... I was laughing my a-- off for the entire first half!"

And we're laughing now, too. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story, Boomer.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I read this story on Deadspin this morning and loved the way they put it. They compared it to the high school kid that had a sip of alcohol but then spends the next several months telling everyone about how he got "so wasted."

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it is kind of funny how Boomer seems almost proud of it.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You know someone's never smoked when they talk about getting high off secondhand smoke.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Is there any video or audio from that game? I'm curious to hear how different their commentary was when they were "high".

6. what

what Member

I've never gotten high by second-hand smoke. Is this a myth? My uncle, I already know, that he smokes some heavy duty stunk, but ive never gotten high from it.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is such BS you can't get high from one guy blowing smoke into a broadcast booth. I could believe 'yeah, we called the game right after the mar1juana law went into effect -- we breathed nothing but fog for 2+ hours'... However - one man blowing a little smoke into a booth way back in the year 2000 seems a little flimsy (broadcast booths were pretty robust/ climate controlled back then - so I hear from my great-great grandfather).

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Boomer and millen could've been in there with a crew hot boxing that booth and still wouldn't have gotten a "contact high"

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

10. Classic

Classic Member

Inspirational and riveting tale.

Road trip to Colorado anyone?

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Boomer might've been high...but Millen's just an idiot.