1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BOOK] Thinking about reading Dune

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BonziWellsGOAT, May 22, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This. I read Dune when it came out (good old SF Bookclub!) and was blown away. Simply outstanding! Looked forward to sequels when I heard that Herbert was writing at least one, and boy, was I ever disappointed. I'd read Dune and then move on to something else, although you might have a different opinion about the first couple of sequels, which weren't bad, just not nearly as good as Dune. A classic is The Foundation Trilogy, by Issac Asimov, who also wrote I, Robot, the novel Will Smith's flick was based on (not a bad movie, either). A more recent novel is the Hugo Award winning Redshirts, by John Scalzi. It's a satire on Star Trek. That's all I'm going to say. Not remotely as long as Dune. Heck, below is a list of several really, really good SF novels, some may be listed by others.

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin
    Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein
    Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick (my mentor!)
    The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett
    Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke
    Sirens of Titan, by Kurt Vonnegut
    Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
    The Mote in God’s Eye, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
    Ringworld, by Larry Niven
    The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman
    Neuromancer, by William Gibson
    The Stand, by Stephen King (yes, King writes science fiction!)
    Shards of Honor, by Lois McMaster Bujold
    Old Man's War, by John Scalzi

That's a few really good science fiction reads that are all classic, in my humble opinion. There are so many more! Hope this helps.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You probably could have read 100 pages by now.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

I couldn't get into this book. I don't remember if I actually finished reading it.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Have you read them? Dune Messiah was very interesting. I really liked it, just as much as I liked the first one. Children of Dune was even better IMHO, the preacher was a great character. They weren't that focussed on other planets as the first one, but overal a great interesting read. I do have to ad that I was 16 when I read these books, so I have no Idea how I would like them now.

For people interested the Miniseries of Dune and of these 2 books http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287839/ was also great (with james McAavoy), but I liked the books better.

After Children of Dune the series became terrible.

1 person likes this.
  5. BonziWellsGOAT

Started last night. Getting ready to go to Arrakis right now

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I agree with all of the this. The Sci-Fi miniseries was surprisingly good and much better than expected. There were actually two Sci-Fi miniseries, one for Dune (first book) and one for Children of Dune (second and third book).

I tried to read the fourth book but it was dreadful and I could not make myself finish it.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The best Sci-Fi book ever Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Now I wouldn't recommend it for you right now, though, because it scratches a different itch than a book like Dune would.

8. Nero

Nero Member

People will probably laugh and point fingers, but L. Ron Hubbard was a great sci-fi writer before, as Cartman would put it, he went 'totally nanners'.

The single best sci-fi book I have ever read (and I have read a LOT of them) is Battlefield Earth. If you ever accidentally damaged your brain by watching that Travolta abortion of a movie, then forget about it, because the only resemblance to the book was the title. Literally, that was it.

The book is astoundingly good, a bit old-school, but an absolute epic ripping yarn.

Also, once you have digested Battlefield Earth, then I also recommend the 10-book series 'Mission Earth', also by Hubbard, which is kind a cross between serious sci-fi and very biting satire.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I had that feeling once. I was in the mood for some good, classic sci-fi. And, I figured Dune's got a good reputation, right? But, I couldn't stomach the prose. It might be good storytelling, but the writing is, well, not too great. I couldn't put up with it for more than a few chapters before I gave up.

10. BonziWellsGOAT

[​IMG]

Couldnt resist

11. Nero

Nero Member

David Lynch totally ruined Dune for me, like, permanently.

I read it in high school, it was trippy and all, but then the movie came out and it was stomach-turning in its awfulness.

12. BonziWellsGOAT

Never seen the movie but it cat be THAT bad can it? If you never read the book would it still seem crappy?

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Has anybody seen Jodorowsky's DUNE? It's a documentary about a Dune movie that never happened but looks like it could have been epic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GOaGoFqTWtw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. BonziWellsGOAT

It's definitely on my list but I want to finish the book then watch the Lynch movie (yes that one) first so I can maximize my disappointment that it didnt get made

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That was a box office disaster. Very few people saw that in the theaters.

The main problem with the movie was that Dune the novel has enough material for 3 separate movies. The Sci-Fi miniseries was five hours long and did the material justice.

Lynch had 3 hours of material for the release but the movie studio made him cut it down to less than 1.5 hours in run time. Recipe for disaster. I think the only people who "got" Lynch's Dune were ones who had read the novel and they were pissed that so much was left out.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Dune is good, but don't read the sequels, they'll ruin the first book for you.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not many films adapted from a book keep the tone and feel of the original. I thought Lynch did this very well.

Herbert hated it.