1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[book] Ready Player One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by lue03, Mar 25, 2013.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Serious post. I don't enjoy reading because I am a slow reader. I usually tell people reading is lame, although I spend a lot of time reading on the internet and stuff. I just cant sit down and read a book knowing itll take me like weeks to months to get the full story. Is there a way to read faster, or perhaps motivation for me to sit through the reading of a book? I usually wait for movies to come out based on the books I think I'd want to read.... I'm lying, I dont look at books at all. But still, I feel like I am losing some potentially awesomeness here by ignoring reading as a side hobby.

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

I've heard mixed things.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I could see hearing mixed things. I wouldn't say that it's an exceptionally well written book by any means. The content, plot, and ideas are awesome. I loved it. The dialogue and writing style is somewhat simplistic, but the story more than makes up for that, in my opinion.

Plus, the fact that Cline actually hid an easter egg within the book itself (and had to announce that he had done so...10 months after the book was released), and used his money to buy a DeLaurean off eBay and gave it away makes it that much more awesome.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Title is Armada. The production company did Ted and Safehouse.

That's all I really know.:cool:

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Usually reading speed is improved with practice. (whadda ya know..)

I was the same way until I found something interesting and short. Once you finish one book, your 'reading confidence' will soar and you will be looking for another read if you enjoyed the first.

1 person likes this.
  6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Get audiobooks and listen to it on your commute. This book is available in audiobook format. Also, if you like classics, there are free audiobooks of it, read by volunteers, and totally public domain at www.librivox.org.

1 person likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Even if you're a slow reader, reading speed should improve as you keep reading, as another poster has stated.

Plus, in any of the books I read, I'm desperate to find out what happens by the end of the chapter / book, so that's extra motivation to keep reading.

Just keep at it. It's the same with video games. Some people beat games fast, some people beat games slow, but the playtime is still the same for many people - it just depends on how motivated you are to find out the story.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Honestly Harry Potter screwed me over. Couldn't get past page 10, it was so detailed and such a bore. But I LOVED the movies! I'ma have to try and find me a quick read (150-200 page) book and see how it goes from there. Any suggestions? Sorry for hijacking this thread.

9. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I started with Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. A little different than the movie, easy read (short chapters, medium text), interesting.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Listened to the Audio Book (read by Wil Wheaton, which was pretty perfect casting).

12. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

i read this awhile back and liked it (but didn't love it). i think my favorite part was the the last line:

"It occurred to me then that for the first time in as long as I could remember, I had absolutely no desire to log back into the OASIS."

#32 111chase111, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loved this book....

DD

14. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

What kinds of books are/would you be interested in.

15. Ashes

Ashes Member

Agreed. Read it in about 5 hours on my kindle. Really good.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Outstanding book. Way too long & complex a book to be a single movie, even with Spielberg at the helm.

Must-read for any Gen-Xer.

17. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Read this book earlier this year. Absolutely amazing read. Kept me hooked and thoroughly entertaining!

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The easter egg in the book was great/hilarious. It was a really cool thing to do.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Try Armada (his next book).

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Thread resurrection! I think this could make a good movie, and its kind of cool that Spielberg is at the helm.