1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Book-Readers Thread] GOT Season Five

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by shastarocket, Apr 14, 2015.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Create the wall*

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

There is no way mankind built that wall either. Too big. The children or white walkers are the only ones with magic to build that.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I found the passages... Ok so they had a pact. Then fought the others... But still... Why did they leave for the bad side of the wall.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Just like how there's no way mankind built the Great Wall of China. Amiright?

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are comparing a wall that is 5-8 meters tall to in that is 244 meters tall and made of ice. Let's not get started on how wide it has to be too. That is not something humans can do. And bran the builder? It is said he built it and winterfell... Either of those projects would take more than a lifetime or two.

So since this is a fantasy book... Magic. Amiright?

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

From grrm in his book about the series " ... the Starks of Winterfell contains a part of a ballad alleged to tell of the time Brandon the Builder sought the aid of the children while raising the Wall."

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Thanks crash for mentioning the relationship between man and the children. Found a lot of good info now.

8. malakas

malakas Member

for all we know the children of the forest may not be able to pass the wall either. Maybe it was creatwd by both the species magic with the first men appointed to guard it and keep both sides apart. Not likely true, but at this point our knowledge of the others And the children is so little to be able to turn this theory down.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Martin has said the others are not evil. By the same logic the children arent good either. There is no white and black in this world.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What we know for sure is that the magic that is infused into the Wall is that of the old gods which is essentially the magic of the Children. We know this based on Samwell Tarly's encounter with Cold Hands and his journey with Gilly into the Nightfort to get Bran. The gate that guards the entrance from the north side of the wall is a Weirwood. It required a man of the Nights Watch to recite his vows for the gate (Weirwood) to open. Even when the gate opened Cold Hands could not pass through do to the magic infused into the Wall or Weirwood Gate.

I assume this is the same magic that prevents the Wights from passing into the domain of the 3 Eyed Crow. The Children can pass through as could Bran and His companions but Cold Hands could not. As a result Bran, the Children, Hodor and the Reeds continue on to the 3 Eyed Crow but that was the last we saw of Cold Hands (a Wight).

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

GRRM has gone out of his way to demonstrate that most of his character are basically capable of both good and evil. At this point no one really knows what is driving the Others to invade the South. They may have a legitimate beef, we don't know. They may view people the same way that people view cockroaches, something that must be exterminated.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Dont forget cold hands isnt a typical case. He has some type of curse on him. And also we dont know if there are other gates from the other side based on the others type of magic.(too many others in one sentence lol. Hope you understand what i mean).
    im not quifk to dismiss any such theory because of our lack of knowledge at this point. Which is done by design by the author. He has purposedly avoided any insight on such an important enemy as the others. Or are they really an enemy? See where i mean? I think the author is trying to misdirect the readers on purpose to throw a punch later on.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Dish accidentally made the episode available earlier today. I stumbled on some spoilers through Facebook. I will avoid the internet this close going forward.

#253 bobloblaw, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not a book reader but I just read a synopsis of the storyline in the north to see how it compares to this episode...

Terrible. Show is way less interesting. Wish I hadn't done that lol. Traded umbers, manderlys, etc. for this lame story.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well, as a book reader, I personally find that most of the TV shows desicions are for the better. The synopsis makes it sound much more interesting than it was to actually read IMO.

Books 1-3 came out within 4 years of each other. GRRM had a clear plan, and they were collectively a masterpiece. Since then it has taken forever, and the last 2 books have been meandering, and focused way to much on side charcters that I didn't give a f**k about.

Book 4 in particular was almost impossible for me to read, wisely IMO to showrunners have decided not to use 90% of that book.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well there's only one way next week's episode can end. I'm really curious to see how the non-book readers take it.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

believe it or not, this is a future book spoiler based on the inside the episode

http://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthron...a_spoilers_all_before_you_all_crucify_dd_for/

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So, when/how is it going to happen in the book? Melisandre and Shireen are at Castle Black. Will Medlisandre decide to sacrifice here without permission from Stannis? Does it have to happen before

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

dunno but it sounds like something they got from GRRM