1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Book] A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice & Fire V)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck 4, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Seems like it...but then again, there are the human sacrifices you see in the Bran flashback. GRRM said in the interview Commodore posted that the Old Gods were based on Wikkan/Pagan gods (think Celtic gods).

2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Regarding gods, I will be disappointed if
    there are no real gods, just magic wielded by humans mistaking them as tools of higher powers; greenseers/Children of the Forest using weirdwood network= Old Gods, Drowned God=no such thing, The Seven=no such thing (they seem useless), Many Faced God=generic sorcery, R'hllor= Valyrian spells/generic sorcery).

You'd think the meaning of a Song of Ice and Fire = epic showdown between two kinds of Gods. As if all this plotting and scheming by people has been secondary to the real war between good and evil. I think the Others are foot-soldiers to the evil god. Unless they're just an unexplainable malevolent force that opposes the world of men without a leader. :confused:

3. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I think I'd actually prefer the opposite.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I finally finished today.

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't believe that Jon is dead. I understand that he could be and is brought back to life, but somehow the folks that are brought back to life by the Red Priest seem less than whole.

I don't think George RR Martin would want to make Jon a less than whole character continuing, but it's possible. I would almost rather he actually be dead than brought back by Melisandre.

Either way I'm dying to know what's going to happen. That's true of so many of the characters.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

You just might assuming both you and GRRM survive for another 6 or so years.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

That's wild. I just finished it today also. Really great book. I think best in the series so far.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Beheading was so, freaking awesome...

8. mateo

mateo Member

So does Ser Robert Strong even have a head?

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

on the 2nd, pretty good.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

he definitely is coming back....I re-read the last few paras of his chapter yesterday because it was such a big moment. When they stabbed him, his wounds were smoking/steaming.....guess what other thing had smoking wounds in that book....could just be a red herring, but...

11. dharocks

dharocks Member

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

I think I'm going to avoid samples this time around. Good to see that chapters are already popping up, though.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't waiting near as long as most for Dance with Dragons. Did chapters like this arrive years before the book was released? I'm trying to gauge how high to get my hopes that we are already seeing fruits of GRRM's labor.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

the 4th book sucks. I hated a feast of crows, reading a dance w/ dragons right now . its pretty good. I hate how George RR Martin just extends everything and keeps sprouting lose ends. Whenever something significant happens its followed by endless twists with no ends.