1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Book] A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice & Fire V)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck 4, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Probably. :(

Did you guys see this thread of 'easter eggs' in ADWD? It's pretty cool, though I think a lot of it still falls under various 'theories' rather than actual spoilers. This about Jon was pretty interesting, though, I thought:

End of book spoilers:

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Wow!!!

3. Chopped

Chopped Member

anyone else think the book didn't live up to the hype? i found most of it to be stagnant until the end.

Also, wayyyyyy too many cliff hangers.

4. val_modus

val_modus Member

Can anyone tell me whether Arya's "dance" teacher comes back up anywhere in the story? I mean it never shows him die..

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

I didn't think it was stagnant at all. Quite a bit happens in this one.

The cliff hangers don't bother me, I think it's pretty much in line with the series as a whole.

Yeah...
    I went back and looked it over to see just how well it fit. The knight that dies is Ser Patrek, but his sigil or whatever is *blue* stars over a silver field. Though, he is the Queen - and therefore Mel's - 'man' of the 'red' god, and Martin's description of his death is quite clear about the red mash his head becomes and the blood. So, I don't know....

Everything else fits though

6. Chopped

Chopped Member

speaking of Patreks sigil...

[​IMG]

according to a story, the character was created due to a bet on a cowboys vs giants football game. think about who ended up killing Ser Patrek...

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

hahaha. That's kinda awesome.

Yeah, I saw something about that on some Google searches on Patrek (apparently the guy who he was named after has a blog or something) but didn't know all the details.

8. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

It's a pretty good blog for Science Fiction and Fantasy. The guy reads a ton and posts some pretty good reviews as well as post updates and interviews with a number of top authors.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Just finished it this afternoon. Not pleased with a certain characters fate. But that has come to be expected with all things in this series...

10. firecat

firecat Member

Has anyone seen a preliminary release date for the next book?

I finished ADWD today and started over to catch some stuff that I might have missed. I'm putting off going back to the Wheel of Time series.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Would you agree that, the best part of the book is
    Theon
    ?

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I wouldnt expect the next book for awhile, I think I read in one of his interviews that he wont be starting on it till next year. :(

Though I agree that POV were interesting and well written, i thought there were way too many of them. I just would've rather he reduced the number of POV, focused more on the plot of the White Walkers, as well as John, Tyrion, Bran, Danys and Arya. I expected this book to follow the progression of Storm of Swords, but instead it was more similar to Feast in that it focused on too many details, monologues, motivations, travel, side characters and diverging plots, instead of advancing it more. There are just too many stories and characters at this point and the resulting lack of plot progression between the ending of Storm to Feast to Dance is much slower than I would've liked. At this rate, the series might exceed 7 books as Martin has seemingly hinted at by stating "he's no longer certain."

I didnt like that he created another Targerian, nor did I enjoy all the chapters that took out from the book. Nevermind the fact that we still have no idea whats happening with rickon, shaggydog and Osha since storm. I did however liked Wun Wun, Penny. Brans story, as well as most of John's, Tyrions and Danys POVs.

My favorite part of the book tho, has to be the execution of Ser Janos Flynt. I had to read that part twice!

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Dammit i meant to spoiler the last sentence. Apologies

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

nm i guess i did lol.

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

Is Syrio Forel dead or alive? We are never told of either and hints are made that Meryn never killed him, anyone wanna put in their 2 cents?

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm not a little more than 1/4 of the way finished with it. I'm dying read all these spoilers. I may have to do without sleep for a while.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

So... do you think that
    Theon
    still has
    his wang
    ?

This was apparently a big debate topic on some of the fan sites. My thinking is "no."

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

defintely no. didnt he make several remarks alluding to that?

20. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I was so damn pissed reading the last Jon chapter, but I had a feeling that it wasn't it for him... I thought he might be Azor Ahai since Melisandre kept seeing him in her fires, but aren't they making it obvious that Dany is Azor Ahai?