1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Book] A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice & Fire V)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck 4, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Yeah, he was terrible! The good news is that the guy who did the first three did this one. So it will be listenable.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Dudefail!!! Where is the pic of said 9-1 line?!?!

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

Listening to Roy do book 5 right now. He sounds great. The guy is such a pro.

4. Xerobull

Supporting Member

TWO freaking solicitors at my door today when I'm waiting on UPS! I get maybe two a YEAR.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

That's almost as bad as it being the most random busiest day at work ever when I'm trying to slack off and read the book.

Oh, and the pic of the 9-1 ratio thing...I didn't want to seem THAT creepy.

6. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I was about 300 pages into AFfC before I gave up and just read the chapter summaries. It just wasn't that captivating and I could care less about any of the POV characters besides Arya and Sam.

Bought ADwD this morning and about to start reading now.

7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

8. firecat

firecat Member

I am doing the same and couldn't agree more. It's awesome to have him back for this one.

9. Xerobull

Supporting Member

Fantastic read so far, with some nice potental foreshadowing if you're reading closely. I won't drop any spoilers yet.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Wow...just read a chapter
    Bran II
    that was better than ANYTHING in A Feast For Crows. Ho. Lee. ****E!

11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

How bad is A Feast For Crow? I was so disappointed when it came out with terrible reviews so I didn't bother to read it or attempt to. Since My favorite Character are Jon Snow, Arya, Asha and Tyrion. Will I really miss anything cool/epic/must not miss from AFFC if I just read the summaries instead from that site? I really want to start reading this book. Already downloaded an illegal copy of the book but this will be excellent for backtracking/searching/discussing if I misses anything. Still plan on owning a Hard Copy of this like I have always done with all the books that I love. ****, I might have to find re-buy A Clash of Kings on ebay just for the cover because someone lost that beautiful cover of mine.

12. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Dude, spare yourself and read the chapter summaries. Nothing major happens and it's a tedious read throughout. I think I'll eventually go back and read it but I wanted to jump ahead to the juicy stuff.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

No way. It is worth reading just for Kevin Lannister alone...

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Feast is good. The events of King's Landing alone are well worth the read, and I think fairly important. People were too focused on what characters they were missing rather than what was offered up; I did the same thing. On rereads I came to appreciate it *much* more.

Also, skipping a book in a series like ASOIAF makes no sense.

15. Xerobull

Supporting Member

I would say that there are a few MAJOR happenings in the book.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could skip an entire book out of a series that they like.

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Would you read Return of The King if you hadn't read The Two Towers? Sure, the chapter summaries on TotH will suffice, but you'll miss a lot of little things that could be very important later. FFC is my least favorite of the series, sure. But it's still a must read.

17. dharocks

dharocks Member

I though AFFC was pretty good. I think the biggest problem with it was that after A Storm of Swords, basically everyone's favorite POV characters were Jon, Bran, Tyrion and Arya, and only Arya makes an appearance in AFFC.

If you're that apprehensive about reading it, just get the audiobook.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

AFFC is like the Houston Rockets from the last couple of years: still solid, but hard to achieve greatness when your big stars are missing. I enjoyed it, but others not satisfied.

GRRM should have tanked the book for a chance at a #1 pick. Why is Rockets not fired Murray?

#58 Carl Herrera, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  19. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I didn't really feel like I missed anything that important. It was getting extremely boring reading about Brienne's wild goose chase and I could care less about any of the characters besides Arya. I'm sure it was easier to read AFfC when ADwD wasn't sitting there staring at you and full of secrets you've been wanting to uncover since day one.

20. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I just finished Chapter 20
    Davos III
    and

I STILL freakin' hate the Frey's!!! :mad: