1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bonzi Scores 48pts & 11rbs in China Debut

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Dec 28, 2008.

1. yobod

yobod Member

Lock If Posted

Bonzi Wells scores 48 in China basketball debut

Dec 21, 11:47 pm EST

BEIJING (AFP) - Former NBA bad boy Bonzi Wells scored 48 points and snared 11 rebounds in his Chinese league debut, helping the Shanxi Zhongyu to a 107-106 win over Tianjin.

Wells shot 17-37 from the floor, including 5-15 three-pointers, and had seven steals in Sunday's game, giving his new club a glimpse of how the 10-year NBA veteran can help them in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) season.

"I was really nervous before the game and I was only thinking about turning my nerves into energy," Wells said through a Chinese translator.

"I never thought that today I would score 48 points," he said. "That is not my normal style."

Wells averaged 12.5 points and 4.6 rebounds in his NBA career, spent with Memphis, Sacramento, Houston and the Portland Trail Blazers--who became known as the "Jail Blazers" for their frequent run-ins with the law.

In Shanxi, he is teaming up with former NBA coach Bob Weiss, hoping to boost Shanxi's chances of escaping their last-place finish in the 2007-2008 season.

Shanxi is currently in seventh place (9-7) but Wells is expected to turn the club into one of the CBA's elite.

Wells played 45 minutes on Sunday night. Last season, each team's two foreign players were only allowed to play a total of 60 minutes a game, but this year both foreigners can play the entire game.

Besides Wells, four-year NBA guard Kirk Snyder, former Indiana center David Harrison and one-time Golden State Warrior Chris Porter are just a few of several Americans playing in China.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketchnnbawells&prov=afp&type=lgns

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

3. Problem-Chyld

Problem-Chyld Member

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

shouldn't CBA talk be in the college/international section?

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I agree. Chunky Bonzi Accomplishments should not be posted here. :D

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Bonzi's NFL equivalent =

[​IMG]

7. tsunami

tsunami Member

who cares. It only proves one thing: Chinese basketball is horrible, an ex-NBA player could beat the sh!!t out of CBA.

8. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

does anyone have that quote from van gundy last year during one of the rockets games? one of the announcers said something to the effect of how mike harris dominated the china league and had a 48 pt game or something and van gundy was like my grandmother would go to the china league right now and dominate so dont give me useless stats like that