1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bonzi for the MLE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beenz, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Beenz

Beenz Member

Hey for those salary cap experts and wannabe GM's on this forum...

Is it possible for us to sign Bonzi for the MLE, or for 4 years on the MLE? Do you think Van Gundy will take him back for another 3-4 years, vice versa?

2. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

What could the Rockets offer Chuck Hayes? What do you guys think?

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

bonzi has a player option after this year, and if he can play for the rest of the season the way he played tonight there is now way he accepts the mle.... brotha is looking to get paid.

4. superden

superden Member

Brotha is looking pretty bad.

edit: I mean for most of this season not just this isolated game. Just wanted to clarify.

5. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Member

I am a big Bonzi Wells supporter. I would love it if the Rockets could somehow sign him to a long term deal. This guy is a proven scorer and was money in the playoffs last year.

6. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

If Bonzi keeps playing like he has most of this year, then he would be LUCKY to get the MLE, but if he plays like we all know he can (and like he did tonight) then we'd be lucky to get him at the MLE. Either way, I'd say there's no chance we get him at the MLE. He's either going to play so good that we can't afford him, or he will have such a down year that he'll pick up the 1 year player option on his contract (there is a 1 year player option on his contract, isn't there?). I guess the best we can hope for is that he has one amazing (contract) year in Houston, and that we win it all this year, right?

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

well i agree with that, but like i said... if he can play well in the 2nd half and playoffs, the guy will more than likely get a few decent offers.... more than the mle at least.

we definitely got lucky that an all-star talent like bonzi pretty much fell in our laps.... that doesn't happen very often anymore in this day and age.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I'd like to re-sign Chuck Hayes.

9. BMoney

BMoney Member

I don't know if brotha gonna get paid any more than the full MLE. The free agent class for 2007 looks pretty stacked, certainly more than it was this past off-season when Bonzi was dominant in the playoffs.

10. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

I would love to keep Bonzi Wells. I think he's a great player but to tell you the truth - I don't think he'll accept the MLE.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Member

I would love to see Bonzi staying in Htown but his got some big bucks that he will be waiting from other teams when season ends :confused: . This home boy wants to get paid!

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bonzi can sign for the MLE. Many here say he is going to get more than MLE money if he performs, but lets all be realistic here:

-He played for a coach that most players don't complain about.
    -He is going to be 32 (if he isn't already, not aware of his age)
    -He showed up to camp fat and lazy.
    -He thinks he will automatically get playing time because of his rep.

In reality, teams look at these things and aren't stupid. Bonzi is not going to get more than MLE money. There is some pretty good free agents in the market this year, and I doubt Bonzi ever sees a 36M, 5 yr deal ever in his lifetime again.

What am I trying to say?

Bonzi should of taken the offer given to him by the Kings, but instead he opted to be selfish and test the market even though the teams with cap had very little interested in another SG, or better yet in an aging SG which has had his share of problems in the past.

It's safe to assume Bonzi will get MLE money. I doubt he plays for the Rockets next year since him and Van Gundy don't really see eye to eye, and there are teams out there that need a player like Bonzi willing to give him the same money the Rockets would give him. What I see here is another case like Mike James. Knows he will get MLE money but will be looking for who offers more incentives (Trade clause, raises, guaranteed years, etc.)

Hope this helps.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Another reactionary thread, but at least it's on something positive.

No way I want him long term. He is on the downside of his career and when the ink is dry on the new contract he will own the team that signed him.

I like what Bonzi did tonight and hopefully it continues. But looking at what's happened since he signed proves to me you don't give him long term guaranteed money.

14. awo86

awo86 Rookie

fat and lazy!
    aint gonna happen

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

sports writers in general noted not much money was available last free agency.

i don't think bonzi was greedy, he did fire his agent over the kings debacle. most sportsmen would trust their agents enough to sign a contract to play antarctica if need be.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think Bonzi was greedy. His agent thought he'd get more money elsewhere. I know agents have a lot of control over a player, but come on, Bonzi could of made this judgement himself. All it took was looking around the league and checking if teams needed him, which the teams with cap didn't.

17. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Bonzi will not make more than the MLE.

1) Bonzi is 32 and has not been in good shape throughout his career. You can't count on him to be productive very long.

2) To sign him for more than the MLE, you need cap space. Any team with capspace is a team that is going young and building character. Safe to say, no one with capspace will pay Bonzi more than the MLE.

3) We don't have full bird rights, so we can't even if we wanted to.

Bonzi will make the MLE for 3-4 years assuming he has an amazing season. Teams will not forget that the last time he had an amazing season, he showed up fat and lazy the following season and got greedy with money.

So assuming he kicks ass and doesn't clash with JVG, I think he will be back with us for a bigger contract next season (MLE) and will show up to camp in great shape knowing that JVG will expect nothing less from a returning player.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

even if the rockets don't extend van gundy i wouldn't want bonzi signed for more than 2 years.

19. SladeRider

SladeRider Member

I'd let Bonzi stay for next season and let him go after that, I don't expect him to improve so much that he is deserving of a new contract, he will start declining after next season.

20. amathie

amathie Member

we have t-mac, battier, Snyder, three decent players stacked at position 2 and 3, all of them are able and want to play 30+ mins, I don't see why Rox will spend a big chunk of money on Bonzi Wells, instead we should spend money to update our frontcourt, find a decent PF and a backup for Yao Ming, a good PG will help too.

If bonzi plays well and comes cheap, that's great. But if he demands MLE and more than that, I don't see why Rox will pay him, even though he might become a monster again.