1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bold and risky: Trade Wandy for a haul?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FLASH21, Sep 28, 2009.

?

Trade Wandy?

1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

2. No Worries

No Worries Member

Only if we got someone to overpay for him ... which is unlikely.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

they should consider everyone available; but i think the guy is dreaming if he thinks wandy's going to fetch us a major haul. he'd return *a* decent, higher-level prospect... maybe a lower level guy. i doubt any studs.

4. rockets934life

Wandy is 30, in his prime, under club control for one more year and LEFT HANDED so I think he can get you a nice package back but also agree not to expect 3 or 4 studs like Halliday would have gotten but MAYBE something like what Lee got minus one prospect.

I say do it as we are not going anywhere next year as it looks right now but if McLane allows Wade to get us a quality 3 to go with Roy and Wandy then NO as with Norris looking better and better we could have a nice little rotation.

5. studogg

studogg Member

I think you could probably get a high-level and a mid-level prospect for Wandy. Not a haul, but still may be a move worth making. This season from Wandy has one-hit wonder written all over it. While I won't be dissapointed if he's back, I would absolutely determine market value for him.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do it. Hell send anyone and the train conductor dude. Blow it all up and start fresh, young and fast.

7. Major

Major Member

What part of it screams one-hit wonder? His last season was pretty close to this one, though with many fewer innings du to injury. I think a low 3's ERA is a realistic expectation from Wandy - he's actually been better than that this season outside of a few terrible starts.

To me, the one-hit wonder aspect is that he stayed healthy all season. He's struggled with that in most of his MLB seasons.

As far as the original post - if you can get a lot for him, you absolutely trade him. That should go for any of our players. If you can't get a lot, you keep him and maybe re-evaluate at the deadline.

8. msn

msn Member

Really? Because he's shown progressive improvement every year of his career. What on earth suggests to you that he would do anything but maintain or slightly improve again?

I wouldn't be upset with a trade if they got something good to build on for the future. This team is a zero going nowhere. Zero * Wandy still = zero.

9. juicystream

juicystream Member

I've been saying for a while now that Wandy is the guy to trade by next years deadline. Trading him now is a lower risk, but Wandy could greatly enhance his value by the deadline if he shows he is the real deal, and could fetch a Cliff Lee type haul. Best case scenario for the Astros is to trade Oswalt and Wandy in July(assuming both are pitching well).

10. DieHard Rocket

Yes. Wandy just had a career year. I think he'll be good for a while, but from the looks of it they'll just go to waste (since we won't be competitive all around). Trade whatever we can to gather young pieces, and have them all grow up together so we actually have promising talent and tradeable assets.

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

How much does he make next year? Is he arbitration ?

12. rockets934life

He will Arbitration eligable and this year he made 2.6 million so id look for 5-6 million which still a bargin for a sub 3 ERA left handed pitcher.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

In that case I'd still rather try to trade Roy. As much as I love him, he'll fetch us more, and it'll shed more salary.

14. studogg

studogg Member

maybe i overstated it a bit as a one-hit wonder, but given that he is thirty and just now put together his first great/healthy season I would think odds are even that he reverts to previous form (oft-injured/gives up big inning) over giving another year like the current.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

he's made quantum leaps these past two years - my red flag would be his age. it's uncommon for guy to suddenly get it, and in a big way, at 30. along with the health concerns, i think he'd definitely have a "buyer beware" tag on him. that's why i don't think he'd fetch us anything substantial. i'd still shop the hell out of him.

16. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure he suddenly just got it, though. He's been improving his ERA by about 1 run each of the last 4 years, so he's been slowly putting it together more and more each year. And his crazy home-road splits over the last few years suggested that at least a good part of it was simply mental. For a soft-tossing lefty, that seems to be a relatively reasonable path. He probably has peaked - it's hard to get much better without dominating stuff - but I'm not sure he's going to start a downhill trend in the near future.

17. MadMax

MadMax Member

i think the astros should be willing to entertain nearly any offer. i can't imagine saying anyone is off-limits at this point.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

his ERA+ in 2007 was 96, which is ever-so-slightly below average. last year, 120; this year, 140. those are pretty sizeable jumps. especially given his age.

another red flag. if a general manager trading for wandy doesn't at least consider the possible mental ramifications of ripping him from his comfort zone.....

and thus, why would you give up a clay buchholz, as the blogger suggested? he'd fetch you, maybe, a decent higher-level prospect.

maybe not. i'm 100% on board with shopping him and them finding out.

19. Major

Major Member

Certainly - but they are consistent jumps. Over the past 4 years, his ERA has gone from 5.64 to 4.58 to 3.54 to 2.97. That doesn't suggest someone that suddenly got it as much as someone that slowly has been figuring things out. His age would be more of a concern to me if this happened mid-career. But he's been improving yearly since he stepped into the majors (outside of his rookie year).

But he's gotten over that - that's another sign of progress. The fact that he's been good for a few years at home suggests that he has the stuff and know-how to do it. The question was whether he could do it consistently, and this year, he's done that (his road ERA is inflated by one ridiculous 10 run start in Milwaukee).

I certainly wouldn't give up Buchholz because he's under club control for several years whereas Wandy will be a free agent in a year or two, and Buchholz has shown that he's major league material. But prospects? For a team without lots of money that's on the verge of contention, it makes a lot of sense. It's pretty rare that #1/#2 type pitchers are available without coming with $15MM type salaries.

maybe not. i'm 100% on board with shopping him and them finding out.[/QUOTE]

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I put trade for Wandy. He has turned into an ace and is better than Oswalt. The Astros need to try to build for the 2012 season.