1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobby Simmons to be Arrested

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by apostolic3, Oct 3, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/oct05/360443.asp

Woman alleges Bucks player fondled, punched her
    By JOHN DIEDRICH and BOB PURVIS
    jdiedrich@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: Oct. 3, 2005

Milwaukee police said today they plan to question recently acquired Milwaukee Bucks player Bobby Simmons following an early morning incident Saturday in which a woman said he fondled and punched her.

Simmons is accused of fondling a 25-year-old woman around 2 a.m. Saturday morning in a car after leaving a downtown bar, said Lt. Mark Ciske, of the department's Sensitive Crimes Unit.

After leaving The Jungle, 618 N. Broadway St., the woman asked for a ride and got into Simmons' car, Ciske said. Another person also was in the car, he said.

The woman told police Simmons fondled her and then punched her in the face, Ciske said. The woman then got out of the car, which was not moving, he said. She reported the incident a short time later, he said.

Officers plan to arrest Simmons on suspicion of misdemeanor fourth-degree sexual assault and misdemeanor battery, Ciske said.

Simmons, at the Bucks' media day this morning, said he's "very confident" he'll be exonerated.

"I’m really not talking about it. I’m cooperating fully," Simmons said. "I came to Milwaukee for basketball, not for anything like this."

Bucks general manager Larry Harris said the team would support Simmons through the legal process.

"Certainly we’re aware of the allegation," Harris said. "It’s an ongoing process and hopefully this thing will get resolved shortly."

Simmons, 25, was one of the most sought-after free agents on the NBA market this summer. He was named the league's most improved player after averaging 16.4 points and 5.9 rebounds in 37.3 minutes per game with the Los Angeles Clippers last season.

Team workouts across the league start Tuesday.

Bucks general manager Larry Harris targeted Simmons early in the free-agent negotiating period and reached a verbal agreement with him on July 8. He signed a five-year, $47 million free-agent contract in August and is expected to play a major role in helping the Bucks bounce back from a 30-52 record to make the playoffs this season.

Simmons was introduced as a Buck at a news conference Aug. 8 at the Cousins Center. At the news conference were Simmons' fiancée and 5-year-old son.

Simmons was a high school and college standout in Chicago where he attended Simeon High School and spent three seasons at DePaul University before entering the NBA draft as an early entry candidate in 2001.

Last year was a breakout season for Simmons, who finally landed a starting spot after being taken by Seattle in the second round of the 2001 NBA draft, and being dealt to Washington the same night.

He played in only 66 games during his first two seasons with the Wizards and started just five. But he played in 131 games during the last two seasons with the Clippers.

He shot 43.5% from three-point range last season and 84.6% at the foul line, and he had a career-best 106 steals.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I guess he wants to be traded to the Blazers?

:confused:

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

or the Kansas City Chiefs

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Not taking saying Simmons didn't do anyting wrong, but if a women gets into the car with him at 2 a.m. in the morning willingly, it's hard to make a he said she said judgementm especially when it's just fondling.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I bet the Clips are happy to have Cat now.

6. SlizardOO

SlizardOO Member

It still says he punched her in the face.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

So if a woman gets in a car with a guy at 2 a.m., she's automatically giving him permission to feel her up? :rolleyes:

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No, she takes the risk of being fondled, or even raped and not believed. What is a woman doing getting in a car with a man at 2 a.m. that she doesn't know beyond his name and face???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Although it would not be her fault at all if she did actually get fondled and assaulted, but her willingness to get into the car isn't going to help her case much. Just glad it ain't a Rocket...

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

It doesn't say she didn't know him, or he didn't know her -- it merely says she asked him for a ride home. Yeah, she was just asking for it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. wizkid83

I don't think it gives him the right to fondle her. However, I think situations like these are extremelly difficult gauge, especially terms like fondle. I think the fact that he punched her is extremely stupid, though we really don't know the extent of what happen in that regards either.

I think it's probable he's making his move cuz he thinks she digs him and then she told him no and he got mad and punched her at which point he committed a misdameanor (not to mention did something very stupid). I think if that's what happened (once again we don't know) he should get in trouble for battery but sexual assault sounds like a little far.

Here's what I think, he hit her, committed a misdameanor battery. But the fact that she seemed to leave with out too much incident just shows that maybe he picked on the wrong signs, got mad when he realize he wasn't as smooth as he thought he was, and did something EXTREMELY stupid. However, I don't think there was not any intention forcing sexual assaults on any body.

#11 wizkid83, Oct 4, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I hate this blame the victim mentality. It's simple- if Bobby Simmons hit and fondled the women against her will then he needs to pay the consequences. Let's see what actually happened before jumping to conclusions.

13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Ah, the age old argument.

Men shouldn't do things to women that they're not supposed to.

vs.

Women deserve everything nasty that happens to them.

I love watching these unfold.

14. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

is he still worth all that money now???

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

ride or...

ride, ride?

Because of this ambiguity, We CLEARLY... do not know if this was a ride of the transportation, or of the sexual variety. Bobby should be cleared of all charges under the clutchfans article v5 section 3 clause 5 aka 3814''s law.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Clearly this is simple a WAIT and SEE Mentality

I'm not ready to ruin a Man's life on some he said she said sh*t
    until all the facts are in evidence

I ain't saying she deserved it
    I ain't saying he did it

I'm saying
    She asked him for a Ride at 2 am . . . . unless u know someone
    really well . .that generally is not wise
    HE is a famous basketball player with alot of money . . . unless u know someone
    really well . . . then it is generally not wise to put yourself in this position

I question her judgement
    I question his judgement

He needs to learn he is not allowed to even have the situation
    where there is even a question about inproper behavior
    because folx automatically assume he is guilty

Rocket River

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I understand what you're saying. Believe me, I do.

Problem is, "her judgement" wasn't in doing something illegal.

His (allegedly) was.

18. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Name and face is plenty info for a woman looking to steal the guy's $$$.

I bet she planned it.......settle out of court, yadda yadda ya... :mad:

19. wizkid83

Look I'm not saying blame the victim, I just want to say that some times, signs are hard to pick up. If he wasn't a basketball player, a woman he met at a club, was friendly with him, asked for a ride home, he makes a move and she says no, if he stops at that point, I see it being ok. Now if he hits the woman, he's an idiot and should be charged for misdameanor.

But I don't see how it's sexual assault especially if he let the woman go without an incident. I didn't say it's the womans fault, I'm just saying in that situation, it's hard to assess the blame (if any) unless you're actually there, and even in that situation, miscommunications can lead to misundertanding.

I think by hitting the woman he should get the battery charge no matter what. But I don't know about the sexual assault. It's just hard to make that judgement unless you get further details of what happened.

#19 wizkid83, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He said She said, who knows?

A woman should always expect men to be horndogs with the potential to be forceful, that's right always. Getting into a car with a man at 2 AM and not knowing that is just stupid.

NBA playas should always expect to be the target of goldiggers with lawyers. Getting into a car with a woman at 2 AM and not knowing that is stupid. That's what possies ar for...witnesses.

Sad but true.