1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobby Jackson coming up next on 610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mattj, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Mattj

Mattj Member

That is all...

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads-up...tuning in...

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

thanks for the heads up Matt!

4. francisfan4l1f3

Adam i know you got the scoop on which way Brent Barry is leaning, what is your gut feeling on which way hes is going?

5. tracymcgrady001

Thanks, listening now.

6. francisfan4l1f3

Sorry i meant Matt :)

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

He's on now...

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

On already knowing the Adelman offense
    I think it gives me a lot of advantage. The hardest part for me is trying to figure out these guys individual strong points are, and when to give them the ball and not give them the ball. Other than that I think I'll be fine.

On what he thought of the Rockets before he came here
    Great defensive team. Now that Rick has come, a little bit more of an offensive team, but a great team overall. When you got Yao and Tracy, especially when those guys are healthy.

On if the offense has some new things for him
    Nah, I kind of know everything. There are some wrinkles. It's all about making reads and how the defender is playing you. It's all about making reads, because the defense is going to give you certain angles and you got to take it and make the best of it.

This is like my first practice I went through with the guys. They're getting it. This is their first year in the system. Whatever I can do to help them out, I try to give them advice.

On what he can bring to the Rockets
    My playoff experience, my veteran savvy, because the game slows down when you're in the playoffs, unless you're playing a team like Phoenix that likes to push the ball.

On the West
    The West is extremely strong. Anybody can win the West, and it's proven that if we finish strong, we can win the West too.

On if he knew the trade was coming
    I had no idea about this trade, because we were the #1 team in the West. As a player you feel like you don't need to make any changes. They felt like they could get better and Houston felt they could get better and at the end of the day, I'm very happy to be a part of a team with a 12-game winning streak. It was wild, that was the first time in my 11 years that I've seen that many teams [make trades at the deadline].

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

thanks for the recap, clutch

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Another side benefit of signing Bobby Jackson- Aaron Brooks will see how this offense is supposed to be run and he will learn a lot!

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Jackson is gangster, he is an old school player who was around in the 90s when basketball was different.

He is what we needed, a tough little sob. James is that player but Jackson is 1000 times better in this system. You let the Scola's and Jackson's of the world do the talking and Yao and T-Mac carry the load in the playoffs

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Thanks, Clutch.

BTW, I guess the biggest difference between the current rockets and old kings is Yao (super center). I think the biggest challenge for BJ (as a pg) is How to pass the ball to Yao. Last night, I didn't see him to do that.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Not to rain on the parade, but that seems like a pretty gross oversimplification to me.

Yeah, Yao has more impact than Vlade, but Vlade was a great low-post threat in his own right, and he was one of the best passing centers in history. And as productive as our PFs are, Webber occasionally played at MVP levels. Even when he wasn't, he was such a ridiculous passer it was like having a point guard at the PF spot. Then you had the best shooter in the league at the time (Peja), a guy who was #4 overall in DPOY voting and #1 among guards (Doug Christie), and a point guard who was waaaaaay better than anything we have (Bibby). Then you had BJ and Turkoglu coming off the bench... and for awhile, Gerald Wallace. Not to mention Keon Clark and Scott Pollard, when they were actually still good.

That was a really good team.

14. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Love his attitude. Instead of being bitter about being traded from a top team, he looking forward to contribute and improve this team. He take it as a challenge/ a chance of winning the ultimate prize. I can see him as a leader when it comes to playoff time cause there is a lot of fight in that dog. :cool:

15. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

1. thanks clutch
    2. bjax is awesome. i don't think it has ever occurred to rafer that he is supposed to accommodate and figure out strengths and weaknesses.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Haven't had a chance to watch him this year but I was impressed with what I saw on Sunday. I heard him say that he felt like he was 24 not 35 and he definitely doesn't move like someone who is 35. Faster than Rafer, better ability to penetrate and finish than Rafer. Adelman is going to find more minutes for BJ than the 16mins he would get backing up Rafer. This guy is going to be huge for us on the offensive end, add his points to Scola's and Landry's and I think that we have a 3rd and 4th scoring option now that we have been looking for the last couple of years.

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I was short-sighted when I first heard the trade. BJ adds veteran experience during the playoffs and will help the new team adapt to Adelman's system (which probably won't totally come to fruition for awhile). Both of these aspects will be extremely beneficial to the team for the remainder of the season.

18. rocketswinitall

He is a great pickup and help us in our offense. Bj to head (no pun intended), alston, tmac, and battier. tons of quality shot opportunities become available now

19. The Hungarian Rocket

Good point.

Thanks Clutch.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Agreed, even though, right now, Rafer is passing the ball better.

#20 RocksMillenium, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2008