1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobby excited to be a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vivid, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Vivid

Vivid Member

Link

HOUSTON (AP)—Bobby Jackson believes he was at his best in the five seasons he played for coach Rick Adelman.

The point guard hopes he can return to form after the trade that sent him to Houston and reunited him with his former coach.

Jackson was introduced Sunday in Houston after the trade Thursday that sent him from New Orleans to the Rockets for Mike James and Bonzi Wells.

“I think over the years where I played my best basketball was with Rick, and I’m happy to be back in his system, around a group of great guys on a winning team that is pushing for the playoffs,” Jackson said. “I’m looking forward to coming in and playing hard and doing the things I’ve been doing throughout my career.”

Jackson spent five seasons with Adelman in Sacramento, when the Kings experienced their greatest success. Jackson averaged a career-high 15.2 points in the 2002-03 season, which marked the team’s fifth straight playoff appearance.

He’ll move into Houston’s backup point guard spot behind starter Rafer Alston.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey believes Jackson’s playoff experience and familiarity with Adelman’s system will help Houston’s push for the postseason.

“Bobby is going to add a lot of toughness and of course his playoff experience,” Morey said. “As Rafer told me, this guy is teaching all of us how to run what coach runs. He was one of the best at doing it over many years, with many successful runs in Sacramento.”

Jackson, who played one season for Memphis before joining the Hornets in 2006, doesn’t think his last two teams used his skills as well as Adelman can. His 7.2 points a game this season is his lowest average since 2000-01.

“Now I’m coming to a system where I know I can thrive and get back to where I was at,” he said. “Rick, he caters to everyone’s needs. He understands players’ weaknesses and their strong points and he’s done that for me. He just kind of lets you go and play your game.”

The 11-year veteran, who turns 35 next month, has a reputation as a high-energy player. There are questions about whether he can continue that style of play at his age.

“It’s not going to change,” he said. “I’m healthy … Coach has a lot of confidence I still can get it done, and Daryl has a lot of confidence I still can get it done or they wouldn’t have traded for me.

“I’m 34, but I feel like I’m 24.”

Also introduced on Sunday was Gerald Green, whom the Rockets received Thursday from the Timberwolves in exchange for Kirk Snyder. Green made the jump to the NBA directly from Houston’s Gulf Shores High School when the Celtics chose him 18th in the 2005 draft.

Green averaged 10.2 points in his second season in Boston before he was sent to Minnesota as part of the Kevin Garnett deal last summer. He struggled in Minnesota, averaging just more than five points and two rebounds in limited action.

While Green said it is “a dream come true” to play for his hometown team, being traded so often has gotten to him.

“Sometimes it makes me feel like I wonder why I’ve been traded so much,” he said. “I’ve just got to keep working hard and just use that as motivation to … be the best player I can be.”

The athletically gifted Green, who won the 2007 slam dunk contest, probably won’t see much playing time in Houston either. But the Rockets want to see if he can blossom under their tutelage.

“I’m not coming in here thinking I’m going to play a lot,” he said. “I’m coming in thinking I’m going to develop and buy into what is going on with this team.”

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

35 is not that old. I think he's gonna be a nice addition.

3. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

cool. thats a good sign that their all happy.

4. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I like what I'm hearing.

5. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

wow. I like hearing that.

I'm warming up to these trades.

Bonzi was going to be gone at the end of the season. He's been erratic, and probably hit his ceiling and value, while TMac was injured. I like having him as a Spurs killer, and potential for taking off in the playoffs, but, then he'd go looking for the payoff.

James just didn't get Adelman's system. Maybe he'll get Byron Scott's. But, for whatever reason, he wasn't able to adapt, and we had his 6m/yr contract.

Here's the pros I'm seeing:

1 - Jackson could resurge under Adelman, and give us a veteran backup with playoff experience. If Alston got injured, he could step right in and take over, knowing Adelman's system. If Alston goes through one of his historic slumps, he could pull up the slack. Now that Brooks has hit the rookie wall, its all the more important to have someone like Jackson. This gives us valuable depth where we haven't had it for so long, which we had hoped Francis and James would provide. It fixed our biggest weak spot, and hopefully Alston won't have to play so many minutes, increasing his quality of play.
    2 - I love that Jackson is teaching the guys how to play Adelman's system from a player's perspective. They might advance much quicker, and get better, as a whole team, as a result. Almost like adding a player/coach.
    3 - This definitely puts us in a position this summer or winter to use Jackson's contract to pick up another quality player, to upgrade the team. James contract was worthless to us, limiting what we were able to do.
    4 - Getting a couple million lower gives us the ability to add someone like Barry. If that happens, it would make this a great trade, since I think Barry is an upgrade, in terms of what this team needs, over Bonzi.
    5 - I liked the Green trade from the start, but love hearing what he's saying, that he's not expecting playing time, and just wants to fit in, and develop his game. Great attitude, with phenomenal talent. If they can get him focused, and learn the system, he'd be a great asset. I love it when we are picking up younger players with potential, to go along with our veterans. He could turn out to be a steal, but if he turns out to be a bust, it's ok, since all we lost was Snyder.

#5 Sherlock, Feb 24, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  6. Mr. Clutch

Sounds like he's put the brawl with T-Mac behind him.

He better not put up jumpers if TMAC is open.

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well Gerald... maybe that's because the teams trading for you are enamored with your athleticism, and the teams trading you away realize you suck?

Just a thought...

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Hopefully his special pass for T-Mac won't be to throw it as hard as he can at his face.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

pretty much exactly what i expected to hear from jackson. he can help the guys understand what coach wants. as a vet leader and PG, he's the perfect guy to be a floor general here.

what i'm happy to hear is gerald green saying that he doesn't expect much PT, but rather his focus will be to buy into the system and work on his game.

once he learns the defense, he will get PT. he's so quick and athletic that he can stay in front of anyone. shane and jackson would be great tutors for him.

10. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Great Great Read! Hope Green can earn his time into the rotation even if he gets 5-7 mpg realizing we are a deeply talented team. One of the reason we're playing so well is because of the energy and excitement we get from the bench, from players like Hayes and Landry and I'm happy we also added Jackson to that list and the fact that we also got a healthy, experienced backup veteran PG who feels 10 years younger. :)

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Ofcourse he's excited, who wouldn't :rolleyes:

Altough he's 35,34 he seemse like a much younger person to me.
    Hope he fits well, wish him luck.

12. Dei

Dei Member

Shiet. Yeah, right.

13. Mr. Clutch

OK, it's old. But PGs often still contribute in their mid 30s.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't care how old he is. the guy is still quick as hell and can shoot and defend.

who cares if he's not a long term solution, we have aaron brooks waiting in the wings.

the truth is, he's here for the end of this season and the begining of next, then he'll probably be traded with other expirings in a gasol-esque trade. i think he's more than capable to play well until then.

15. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

thanks i just choked on a waffle.

yes it's 5pm and im eating a waffle.

i'm real excited about this team. i trust morey more than i've trusted any GM. he has not made a mistake yet in my eyes.

16. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

I remember he played well with Adelman! Hope he will continue to play well with Adelman.

17. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

dont get me wrong i like morey being our gm as much as the next guy but to say he has not made a mistake yet.....that might be too far for me...see mike james and steve francis......but he did get rid of mike james' contract so he does know when to correct his mistakes and thats big

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The Mike James trade was basically set up with CD last year... trading one bad contract for another... Francis was a low risk investment. I wouldn't call them mistakes.

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

What else could he do with Juwan's contract? I'm glad he got James for Juwan, it was a pretty good gamble. We would not have gotten BJax if we offered Howard instead of James. Landry wouldn't have been able to get PT with Juwan in front of him.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Juwan Howard when he was here as a locker room leader. But it was time for him to go, and it's a good thing he did.

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I worried about how tha Jackson addition affects Rafer. I mean, i hope he dont starts lookin over his shoulder and not playin up totha player he can be.

A trade like this can affect a player if he not's confident about himself.

Rafer has been ballin outta this world lately. I hope he continues to get better.