1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Sura complains to NBA Offices about Rockets!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Dec 24, 2000.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

According to the Sunday edition of the Houston Chronicle, Bob Sura contacted the league offices to file a complaint against the Rockets. The complaint stems from the Rockets public address people playing Eminem's "Slim Shady" song when Sura attempted free throws.

Apparently, Sura has a bonus clause in his contract that is based on free-throw percentage and he obviously believes that the playing of this song hurt him in that department.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard and I just wanted to pass it along.

LOL!

------------------

[This message has been edited by countingcrow (edited December 24, 2000).]

2. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I didn't know that you could play music while free-throws. Can you?

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

They probably played it rite before he attempted the free throws. But that **** is hilarious! Personally I think J-Dubb is a much better Slim Shaddy then Bob Sura [​IMG]

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    Rudy T SUCKS! The man needs to figure out:
    -That its okay to play Shandon in clutch situations.
    -Mobes doesn't have to get the ball every single time at the end of the game.
    -That its okay to actually give the ball to Steve or Mo at the end of the game.

4. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Bob Sura plays for the Warriors? I though he was still with the Cavs....

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

5. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

this is quite funny...he's probably just mad that slim shady shoots betters free throws than his 66.7% from the line.

i remember sura compared generously compared himself to clyde drexler when coming out of college. guess he was wrong about that one...

------------------
    purvis was never short.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

A similiar post on the Warriors BBS has not received ONE response since mid-day 24.12.2000! Here's the responseless post:

Will the Real PA Guy Please Stand Up?

Brad Weinstein Sunday, December 24, 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Sura had a simple message for the Rockets personnel in charge of the loudspeaker: Stop the music.

The Warriors guard was angered that the Rockets played a riff from rapper Eminem, who has a dyed-blond haircut similar to Sura's, over the public address as he attempted, and subsequently missed, a free throw with 6:04 to go in the third quarter. In fact, each time Sura checked into the game, the lyric blared and triggered a laugh from the Compaq Center crowd.

"I have substantial free-throw bonuses in my contract," said Sura, who went 2-for-4 at the line to lower his percentage for the season to 66.7. He declined to elaborate on the bonuses.

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited December 25, 2000).]

7. Mr.Clutch

Mr.Clutch Member

Well, in a way, Sura is right! How would you like it if one of the Rockets is shooting a free-throw while music is been played?

------------------
    "If you have to pick a player, I don't know that (Karl) Malone would be the one to pick. Muggsy (Bogues) would be my man. Muggsy would probably hear that and come and kick my butt"

-- Rudy T on Don Nelson confronting Karl Malone after Malone's usual dirty tactics bruised up Shawn Bradley

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Music can't be played DURING the shot. I think he's talking about the music they play during timeouts, or right before he's shooting.

Maybe if the Warriors lost by a couple of points, he could argue it. They won! He's just trying to get a Christmas bonus. At the year's end, I'd like to see if these 2 free throws would've made a difference. It's more feasible that only one would've made it. Assuming 100% on free throw shooting is not very accurate.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh man this is funny . [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] . The Guys all ready worrying about not getting extra money for bricking Free throws instead of getting W's

Dubya : I credit my sucess to hanging Chads .

Press: You mean the votes in Florida?

Dubya : no i mean killin all the people in Texas who i hate named Chad .

------------------
    "Its a good thing they don't make posters of European players"

-Walt Williams after getting "posterized" by Zan Tabak .

10. Old School

Old School Member

Re-check your tape. I'm 99% sure a quick bit of "Slim Shady" was played when he DID have the ball in his hands on the first free throw. I immediately thought "they can't do that" (even though they did).

It was funny and I was amazed at how many fans actually put two and two together.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

11. MManal

MManal Member

"Re-check your tape. I'm 99% sure a quick bit of "Slim Shady" was played when he DID have the ball in his hands on the first free throw. I immediately thought "they can't do that" (even though they did)."

Yup, I attended the game and noticed this. Sura had the ball in his hands, was in the shooting motion and all of a sudden they song went on. It was as if it was accidental b/c it went off in the middle of his shot, and he missed. I didnt think this could happen and figured Sura would be pissed about it.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I was at the game they played the song about 3 times and it was never while he was shooting, it was either when he checked in the game or right after they announced his name for free throws

------------------

13. Old School

Old School Member

Looks like it's gonna be a draw until someone comes up with a tape of the game...it did happen on the very first free throw. It was only a few quick notes but it happened. I was there, too.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What is he complaining for? His team won, is that not enough?

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

15. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

countingcrow said that he'll get a bonus for good ft shooting

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

16. GATER

Sura's whining. I replayed my tape of the game and there was very little music played period. There was absolutely NO music played while the ball was in his hands. The PA system ceased as soon as the Ref started to hand him the ball. Instead of collecting himself, he put up a quick heave.

Maybe the lack of touches and 0-fer defense Langhi whipped on him is the real problem!

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited December 25, 2000).]

17. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

well...WILL the REAL slim shady please stand up!!!

what a wuss... what a punk... what a wanna be.

oh, poor baby, 2 for 4 from the line.
    If he really has a FT clause then he should be a really good FT shooter and anyone knows that if you're THAT GOOD nothing, absolutely nothing, outside of shooting that ball should bother you. Concentration is the key.

SURA IS A PUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cry baby cry....

like someone else posted, you're team won what more do you FREAKIN want!

rH

------------------
    *** THIS SPACE FOR LEASE ***

18. cson

cson Contributing Member

Yeah ,I too was at the game & wondered....a bit of the Shady was playin' when he shot...So ANYBODY....what are the rules, it seems like they have to be pretty strict or the "dj's" @ the games could mess with them hardcore.....Soooo what's the rules?

------------------
    C-son

19. GATER

This is what I was able to find in the official NBA Rulebook:

Section 1, Part g:
    An opponent shall not disconcert the free thrower in any way, once the ball has been placed at the disposal of the shooter.

The only other items I could find were:

VII: Conduct

a. An official may assess a technical foul, without prior warning, at any time. A technical foul(s) may be assessed to any player on the court or anyone seated on the bench for conduct which, in the opinion of an official, is detrimental to the game.

*And later in the same section:

d. A technical foul shall be assessed for unsportsmanlike tactics such as: (1) Disrespectfully addressing an official (2) Physically contacting an official (3) Overt actions indicating resentment to a call (4) Use of profanity (5) A coach entering onto the court without permission of an official (6) A deliberately-thrown elbow or any attempted physical act with/j no contact involved (7) Taunting

I guess it might be Taunting from the bench, but there were no Technicals assessed by the officials.

IMHO, all Sura has managed to do was put Rockets fans on notice that he has "rabbit ears". Watch the noise level go up in the future just for him!

------------------
    GATER

20. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

I thought it was one of the funniest things I ever saw at a game. I applauded and laughed out loud. Lotsa the people around me seemed to have no idea why it was so funny, but I LOVED it.

I haven't "checked my tape", but they were playing the music after they announced "Bob Sura, shooting 2". The music was definitely over before Sura took his first dribble at the line. Maybe just before the ref threw him the ball, or while the ref was throwing him the ball. I loved it, but I really don't think that sort of thing should be allowed.

BTW: The one song I REALLY wanna hear played at a game is "Cry Baby Cry". Maybe right after a Karl Malone flop-n-whine.

(off the top of my head)
    "Cry Baby Cry
    You make your mother sigh
    you know you should done better
    now cry baby cry yy yyy"
    (c) Lennon/McCartney 1968