1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BoB showed loyalty, he rode the ship down with Hoyer.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Jan 9, 2016.

1. conquistador#11

:( won't believe it til it happens..

2. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Why the hell has this fear been the case for Texans fan the last couple of seasons?

2013 - Schaub
    2014 - Fitz
    2015 - Hoyer

everyone was scared ****less that we were going to have them as starter going to next season. This shouldn't have to be the case 3 years in a row.

It's time for a QB, McNair. ffs.

3. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Didn't BoB say that benching Hoyer was a mistake? I thought he did.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This

Obrien did okay with what he had, but he had what he had because of himself.

He also didn't have Savage because of himself. .. what a foolish decision to IR him.

Like Fitz, props for extracting their best seasons (Hoyer), but that's not saying much.

A real QB is coming... hopefully

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Quick reaction fans suck.

Hoyer was terrible tonight. Absolutely terrible. I wouldn't mind him as a backup, but not starting. He can't start next year.

BOB is fine. He will continue to grow into his job. He's got the makings of a great coach. Those calling for him to be fired are silly. Just plain silly.

This loss hurts badly. Real talk says that we had no business being in a game against playoff level teams. We lack the quarterback and the offensive playmakers.

Get ready for the ride boys, draft time is gonna be fun. We will probably be linked to any and every quarterback. Good thing is we'll finally figure out who is going to lead this team for at least a few years. Hopefully we hit.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

damn brah thats raw. stay classy my friends.

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Confirmed: Hoyer has and will always be mentally weak in the game of football.

Everyone in the stadium should have known what Hoyer does in crucial games/spots... anyone want to take a guess?

He chokes!

I'm glad the fans booed him and O'Brien after he trotted him out there for the second half. These types of decisions should get a coach fired but it won't happen.

The team needs a shake-up... aka fire O'Brien, Smith and search for a franchise QB.

8. justafriend

justafriend Member

Why? I'll admit that now that I've cooled down about, in my fantasy land where I own the Texans I'd be willing to give BoB another year (at the leisure of w/e new GM I hired) but there's stacks of red flags with this guy. Today was beyond brutal. We can talk about other teams being bad also until we're blue in the face, but no, let's stop acting like what goes on with the Texans is normal. 30 point playoff shutouts at home are NOT normal.

The decision not to pull Hoyer was dreadful. Let's forget about the performance for a second. This is a guy who's coming off multiple concussions, and oh hey there's a new left tackle in. The backup's really not ready to play at all? Didn't get any snaps? Was Watt going to run the wildcat the rest of the game if Hoyer went out? This isn't a too-quick reaction or a hot take, you literally just can't exaggerate how embarrassingly awful this was. Hoyer was clearly a deer in the headlights on that goal line pick, he was not ready for this game, was taking baffling risks and just had no business staying in. You even already had pretty definitive evidence that he couldn't handle this Chiefs team back in W1. Weeden certainly played well enough in his time here to think he could have given us a chance. to stay in this one.

And just in general, what are the things to like about BOB? He's a supposed QB guru who's had no feel for evaluating the position. Yea, it's not easy, but I think it's safe to say most teams can find a guy who can put up more than 0 points in a home playoff game. The playcalling is terrible and completely regressed this year. The special teams has continued to be abysmal. We've continued to either mostly whiff in the draft or fail to develop players that have been drafted. Other teams also whiff in the draft, but occasionally make up for it with impact undrafted guys. O'Brien hasn't done that. We're literally giving tons of snaps to multiple WR's and TE's that cannot effing catch the football. Other teams aren't doing that, or if they are, it's b/c they're incredible athletes like eg. Heyward-Bey. No one's putting a gun to his head and making him play Shorts or Griffin, there are other players out there on practice squads and on the street who can catch a damn football.

You could give him credit for getting decent production out of a bunch of middling backs, but I'm not going to do that, because it's not unusual to find legitimate solid, if not good backs from nowhere. There's things to like about Blue & Grimes, but the Chiefs pulled West & Ware out of thin air. The only thing really to like about this team is the defense, and that's Crennel's gig.

Sure it's nice that he's gone 9-7 twice and made the playoffs once and we're not as bad as the Titans or Jags, but being in a division with those awful teams may be the only reason this team hasn't gone 6-10 both years. I'm not that impressed and no one else should be. The only reason to stick with O'Brien is a bet on marked improvement from him, and I honestly just don't know if that's a good bet.

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Hoyer will never be successful. He is too mentally weak for this game.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, or at any of several other times after that. A case *could* be made that given how he had played in the previous couple games, and how inconsistent at best Hoyer had been all year, that Weeden should have started the game. There isn't really much excuse at all for not making the switch at some point during the game, other than obstinance.

Not sure Weeden would have done better, but he had been playing very well, and had the Houston offense scoring going into the playoffs. Hoyer ain't Manning...he didn't earn a 'you are the starter if you are healthy' hall pass.

11. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Many of us knew from day 1 what we're getting with Fitz and Hoyer. If BOB is going to get another journeyman backup QB and thinking he's good enough to get the Texans to the playoffs, then ***** that noise. :mad:

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a little shocked that people are so devastated. I hoped for the best like everybody, but did people really not see this as a posibility?

This is pretty clearly a team with serious holes that squeaked into the playoffs. Even when they were winning, the holes on the offensive side were pretty obvious, right?

Did people really see this as an elite team? From where I sit, it's been looking like a mediocre to average team thats outperformed its talent level since they were 2-5.

Did people really expect the Super Bowl? They did a great job getting into the playoffs. They weren't in the same stratum as real contenders, like the Pats or Denver from where I sit.

13. yo

yo Contributing Member

I think it's more about showing up and not embarrassing yourselves and your fans on national TV as the Texans too often do.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Makings of a great coach? Based on what exactly? I am not saying he should be fired (he needs to stay out of the draft room though); but I didn't see anything they foretells greatness. He deserves credit for not letting his players quit, but he made a lot of mistakes.

As far as the QB spot goes, we had our QB (Derek Carr) but passed on him for garbage. Hopefully the Texans find a competent QB in the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked if they over pay for mediocrity like AJ McCarron in trade...

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Couldn't even squeeze any garbage time points out. In the most important game of his HC career, this offensive specializing, dynamic gameplan guru couldn't even get a measly 3 points.

This morning I was thinking it's nice to be in the postseason no matter how you got there, but wow they put out the kind of game where even that silver lining is obliterated. It's one of the worst franchise losses, and I'd rather this game not have existed and the Texans had even 1 spot better draft pick.

There's probably signs of BOB showing growth as a coach from the start to the end of the season. There has to be, just because the Falcons-Dolphins b2b losses felt like rock bottom. In-season performance is a mix of schedule, gameplanning, health, locker room management, travel, and more. But if postseason performance is a separate characteristic in coaching ability, there was nothing positive to squeeze out of this game. I can't equate not quitting with anything because they didn't even get garbage time points. Did they not quit because they were still passing until their last possession?

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Cowboys couldn't get one win all year with Weeden starting a QB. BOB did.
    Yates couldn't make the Falcons team and was a street FA and BOB got a win with him.
    Hoyer is a choker and career backup and BOB was able to have a winning record with him under the helm.

Take all of that and realize that we only have one single weapon on offense and that is an amazing coaching job. Of course the defense had to carry us most of the way, but that is expected considering how they've built the team.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Are we supposed to believe that one of the ten most valuable sports' franchises in the entire world can't do better than BoB?

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

When I read statements like this and similar in regards to what BOB has done, yes we lost Arian, but I think "we only have one single weapon on offense as a direct result of BOB/Rick's decisions/development of players". Arian was pre-existing, but BOB's only developed one offensive weapon. He stuck with Blue and Washington, barely squeezed production out of the TEs, one of whom was a 3rd round pick and refused to draft a serious QB prospect the last two years.

He made do with what he had, but it's fault that's what he had in the first place. Yates winning against the Bengals and Jets was definitely praiseworthy. But then he had a healthy squad and those two embarrassments against average teams so I can't tell what he can do.

19. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Deserve? He must hate his teammates then. What did his teammates do to 'deserve' that?

20. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Delusiojal.

Hoyer was 4-5 in regular season under BoB.

4-6 if you count that horrible playoff game