1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Board Games: List your own and make recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jun 24, 2010.

1. AustinBriggs

AustinBriggs Member

settlers of catan most definitely!

we've started playing this non-board game when 7+ people are around... not sure the name, but maybe detective and killer--> it involves lying so really fun.

also, speed scrabble is a stable in my house. (i.e. bananagrams but we just use the scrabble pieces).

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting for the poor b*stard brave enough to play me in:

[​IMG]

None of my friends/family will play me. I guess the reason I love trivia games is because I win them so often.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I think you're talking about Mafia.

There's a pretty cool card game based on the idea called Bang!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang!

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Cranium

Quelf

5. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

To me, this is one of the best family games out there. I have lots of great memories of this when I was younger and everytime I come home to visit, my sisters mom and dad are always ready for a rematch....

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

my three faves.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ Is Taboo suitable for pre-teens or teenagers? (middle-school aged) :confused:

8. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Only if they're knowledgeable about people, places, things. Lotta old references to presidents, actors, etc in there. But in terms of overall content, ya.

Here's my favorites:

1) Monopoly
    2) Risk
    3) Scrabble
    4) Taboo

Also played this the other night:
    [​IMG]

It's a card game version of monopoly. Moves alot quicker, and sorta like Uno in the sense that you have wildcards, etc that can make or break you depending on when you use them. Had fun, and got a chance to get in 4-6 games in 2 hrs vs. not even thinking about finishin a game of monopoly in that time.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Played the new Civilization Board Game this weekend. It's really, really fun. If you like the PC game, you'll like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

It has already been said a bunch of times, but do yourself a favor and get Settlers of Catan. It's a little more expensive than most board games, but its worth it. Go ahead and buy the expansion at the same time and save yourself a return trip.

Once you get addicted to that check out some of the other games Klaus Teuber has come up with.

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you have 5+ people (although the more the better) Balderdash is a lot of fun. Basically one person draws a card with a word on it that most people have never heard of. Everyone has a minute to write out their own "definition" of that word, and the person that drew the card also writes out the definition of the actual word. They then turn in the definitions to the person that drew the card and they read them out. You then go around the board and each person guesses which definition they think is correct. The object of the game is to move your piece around the board and be the first to reach the end. There are 4 ways you can move. 1) someone chooses your definition as the correct one, 2) you choose the correct definition, 3) you wrote the correct definition, 4) you were the one that drew the card and nobody chose the correct definition.

It may sound kind of complicated, but it's a lot of fun, especially if you've had a few drinks. Some of the definitions people come up with are hilarious.

Pugs

12. no_answer

no_answer Member

Last Word, because I always win! Ok, almost always. :grin:

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

no you dont

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

As a certified pack-rat, I've got tons from over the years, often in multiple versions from different eras...

In addition to nearly every game mentioned so far, I have multiple Scrabbles, several chess sets, all the regular kiddie-baby games (Candyland, Chutes/Ladders, etc.), Battleship (electronic/non electronic), multiple versions of Monopoly, Rummicube, Guess Who, Stratego, Mousetrap, Twister, Jeopardy, Password (with the green/red glasses), Connect4, several Yahtzees, Rebound, Clue, Rock'em Sock'em Robots, a ton of one-off games that my kids bought that I have no clue what the names are/were, several Avalon Hill war games in the Squad Leader, Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, etc. genre,...

Now that I think about it, I got too many to name and could go on for a while. I probably need a shrink.

Outside of the Avalon Hill games that absorbed a lot of my college years, my all-time favorite is:
    [​IMG]

15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Risk is nice, but if really want something awesome, try Diplomacy.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

A better, cheaper version of the game that Balderdash was based on:

"Dictionary": all you need is a dictionary and a stack of notebook paper. pass the paper around, and each person gets 2 turns with the dictionary. pick a word that is agreed upon that nobody knows the definition to. write a made up definition, person picking word also writes down real definition. read them aloud, vote. 2 pts if your fake definition is guessed, 1 pt if you guess the real definition. highest score after 2 rounds (or whatever) wins.

great, great game and great fun.

17. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Ahh, sounds easy and just as fun and, as you said, cheaper.

I saw it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but thought I'd mention it again. If you have enough people, Scene It is a lot of fun. I have 2 versions of it and am always trying to get people together to play. Usually we end up playing the movie one because I can't get enough people together that have decent sports knowledge. Hmm....Clutchfans Scene It - Sports contest? :grin:

Pugs

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Stratego... awesome game. We used to play tournaments in college, made more even more interesting by playing two or more boards at a time. Easy to play, but allows for some degree of strategy.

Another great board game is Sequence. I have seen game boards using cards and using dice. My father-in-law made a great game board by cutting and gluing the cards in place.

[​IMG]

Rummikub is another fun game...

[​IMG]

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Isn't scatagories a game about poop? Do not want.

20. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

^^ Sequence is awesome fun! This past December spending the nights in san antonio with my grandparents staying up all night playing sequence drinking hot chocolate... Good times.