1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Board Games: List your own and make recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jun 24, 2010.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The SwoLy Family and I have many board games and we like to play anything from games with trivia ("Scene It!"), to memory games, to classic board games like Monopoly and new games like "Hit or Miss!". :eek:

Here are names of games we play... I was wondering if you could share or recommend some that would be good and appropriate not only for adults, but for kids (I have 9 and 11-year-old daughters)... we enjoy all kinds of games...

Connect Four - the classic game to connect four of your red or colored checkers before your opponent does
    Bananagrams - create words from a pile, get points on larger words a'la Scrabble, play in teams, etc.
    Charades - (for kids) spin the wheel to get either an animal, person, or object to act out and have others guess (yes, the classic game)
    Cherry-Ohs - (for kids) spin the wheel and pick cherries from a tree into your basket... I think... I forget, it's been a long time since I played it.
    Cranium Zooreka! - (mostly for kids) move around a board tobuild your zoo in by collecting and trading food, animals, and shelters to create habitats. The first one to create a complete circle (from quarters) wins.

Here is one I highly recommend for players ages 12 and up:
    Hit Or Miss! - players get a car with hit or miss on either side. With pencils in hand and notepads, players will write items as instructed by a card from a pile within 1 minute. As you take turns, roll the dice to read items written for "hit" or "miss"; players get points if they write an item no one has (miss), and others get points for an item they wrote that the player had.
    For example: If the card has "soda flavors", and someone writes "Coke" or "Manzanita Sol", upon rolling "hit" the player will read "Coke" so that if everyone has it, they'll get "hits". It's a lot of fun!

What are board games you and your friends/family play that you would recommend? :cool:

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A long time ago, but not so far away, I read A Child's Garden of Grass (1969). What was new and exciting about the book, from my perspective, came in a line that said (more or less), "If this book does nothing else but introduce you to the ancient game of Go, it was well worth the purchase." Truer words were never spoken, or written, for that matter. Although it took me some months to track down a Go game in Houston, in 1969, I eventually did and turned all my friends on to it. Those friends of mine who loved chess immediately became big fans of the board game. Check it out! :cool:

Of course, Risk is terrific.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

4. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

Settlers

Puerto Rico.

End Thread.

5. B

B Contributing Member

Dominion and it's various expansion - Best game I've played in years, probably gotten over 300 plays this year already. Games can take from 10 minutes to an hour, plays 2-6, and each game can be drastically different from the previous one.

Pandemic - 2-4 player, fun yet challenging co-op game where you try to cure diseases before too many outbreaks occur

Ticket to Ride - 2-5 player, easy to learn, build train routes across the US (or other countries with the various expansions)

Carcassonne - 2-4 player, tile game where everyone is building a area together, and you try to claim farms, roads and towns as you go

I'd recommend checking out BoardGameGeek.com . They have reviews on almost every board/card game in existence. I tried to only list entry level and family friendly type games. You might be surprised how many great games are out there you have never heard of and will never see in a large chain/retail store.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Risk

Monopoly

7. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Pin the Tail on the Donkey. Of course you will have to go into your driveway for this, so I suggest playing when the sun goes down.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Axis and Allies

[​IMG]

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Mexican train dominoes are pretty fun, as well as bananagrams

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ouija board.

Great fun for the whole family.

[​IMG]

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

LOL @ that pic.

Ouija boards are evil. Stay away.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Risk is the only way to get everyone involved, even strangers...

[​IMG]

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Scattergories and Trivial Pursuit are my two favorites.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

As a family, we like to play Monopoly, Scene It & Life...

when playing with friends, I like Taboo...with the ladies, naked twister...

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

settlers of cattan (and after you get used to the base game, start using some of the expansions..)

carcassone--slightly easier than settlers to master, maybe better if kids are involved

16. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Teen Werewolfs?

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Sorry!
    Candyland
    Chutes and Ladders
    Fireball Island (Don't think they make it anymore).

My favs as a kid.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

At work we've played this game nearly every day at lunch for a year. I'm not even a big sci-fi type guy and used to make fun of the dorks that played Magic and D&D. But this is a ton of fun if you're looking for a game sort of like that to play with friends: Treasures and Traps

At home every so often we'll have friends over and play some board games while having some drinks. Usually on those nights we'll play games like Taboo .

19. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

More votes here for the big "gateway" games.

-Settlers of Catan
    -Carcassonne and expansions
    -Ticket to Ride

Pandemic is a really fun co-op game.

20. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Clue Master Detective - modification of the original clue with more rooms, weapons and characters

Stratego - fun two player war game

Dungeon Dice - 2-4 players compete to tunnel out of prison - great for kids

Guess Who - two player game to guess which character card a player has through process of elimination questions. - great for kids