1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BMW 335i vs. M-B CLA45 AMG vs. Audi S4

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kevC, Aug 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

2. The Stig

The Stig Member

CLA. Just kidding. Why don't you look at the C-class sedan/coupe if you're looking at a CLA?

I had a S4 before and I quite like that car. Maybe look into a S3 while you're at it. It's not much smaller than the S4.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Man and gods alike. It's alluded to in several ancient religious texts.

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Ah yes, I remember in my World Religions class in college, we read about it in the Badcarbad Gita.

5. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

As someone who used to own a 2012 S4, I agree with this. (I now drive an Infiniti Q50S).

Audi makes beautiful cars, but there's a reason why you don't see very many older models on the road.

6. red

red Contributing Member

Have an 08 S4 Avant. love it. i don't drive it much so havn't run into any high maintenance work yet. only sitting at 51K miles. 08 was the last year of the 4.2L V8. so it's a gas guzzler.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

There is no wiring in a camshaft. If part of your engine harness was damaged, they would have had to replace the entire harness which is huge and goes to every single sensor. I'm still curious why someone think you need to take apart "a large chunk of the front apart".

8. Bandwagoner

You agree with something that makes no sense. If you want to complain about reliability, that is something different from the post.

The reason you don't see many old ones, is they didn't sell many in the USA 10 years ago, and sold even less 10 years before that. Audio sold 83K cars in all of 2005, Ford sells that many in 10 days.

I don't even like Audi, I think they attract the assholes who used to drive BMW's. But don't pretend they are some complex quagmire to repair.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

i don't think they're more difficult to fix

but euros in general are more unreliable and costlier to repair - breaks down sooner/more frequent, more expensive parts, more expensive labor

I test drove a BMW before and brought it to a BMW service shop. I told the guy I was worried about frequency and cost of reports and deciding between a BMW and a Lexus. He told me get a Lexus

OP have you very looks at the Lexus IS F? Not sure what your price range is but here's one 2012 $32K 27K mi

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/668180648/overview/

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Wait for Tesla Model 3

11. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Make no mistake, german cars are super high maintenance and require a higher amount of money to maintain properly, but to me they're absolutely worth it. From the driving dynamics of the BMW, to the amazing interior and finish of the audi, and the class of mercedes. Just know going in that buying german will cost more overall, but they're great cars to drive.

Instead of the CLA45, i would look at something like the C450 AMG which is the comps to the S4 and the 335. I personally am not a fan of the CLA, in both driving dynamics and finish when i test drove one. I'm admittedly a pretty big Audi fan, and both the S4 and S3 drove amazing. Also a big Merc fan, and the C63 AMG S is a beast, and the C450 is a good drive.

Also if you can, go CPO. Audi's 6 year / 100k CPO, or Mercs CPO program do offset some of the worries about long term reliability.

Either way, ENJOY!

12. Bandwagoner

most of them have the price of maintenance included in the sale price for the first few years.

13. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Usually I will try to have them include the maintenance plans with the purchase, audicare etc. I believe only BMW has the included maintenance, but it goes in 12k intervals which feels a bit long in between.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

:) it's the secret wiring the mechanic can rake you over for... Haha

On a side note The mice weren't attracted to sweet wires, They'll do that **** in ****ty cars too, they also will build nests in the air intake (squirrels/mice/rats) etc... I've seen it in both foreign and domestic and it's most likely to happen in winter months or leading up to it if the car is left/stored. There's tricks to prevent it... so definitely look into it.

Anyway for future reference you can easily trace wires and fix the problem... Most likely the mechanic thought buying the whole harness and charging a nice chuck of change was an easier alternative :) and a way to make money. I'm thinking maybe the wiring for the harness for camshaft/crankshaft position sensor (maybe??). But if it was just chewed wiring you can fix it... And Even though audi likes to act like their mechanics are the only people There's plenty of forums and engine/wiring diagrams online to beat the rodent problem and save money.

On a side note I'm not looking forward to fixing a headgasket.. Yes, I can do it and have the tools. I'm just procrastinating but a few hundred (or less) vs some silly price from mechanic wins any day :) + I know it's done right. I've seen some ****ty mechanics that will say anything to get a buck.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry meant to double reply on mobile (I was agreeing with you on cam and explaining rodents)... Oh well

16. Bandwagoner

Rats can nest in anything and are actually more of a problem in rural areas, or if you don't have a garage. I agree they are no joke.

I'm sure it was some sensor or something to detect position of the camshaft. Most all cars now change the camshaft timing to improve performance/efficiency.

No legit mechanic would be splicing wires or mess around with the harness on a late model S5. They would all just replace it, I don't think you got taken. Any problems with those splices and you could fry the ECU, entire harness or even worse. Like brakes or a car fire that makes the house catch.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, a mechanic at legit shop wouldn't splice in for sure (not worth liability). I'm just wondering if he could have got lucky on harness/wiring from legit place/dealer and could get price way down from labor, but obviously it'd also depend how much rodent screwed up and how willing you are to work on the car yourself (and depending what skill and tools/friends you have access to).

Haha, ****ing rodents on car I'm about to fix stored all kinds of **** under the hood. Chicken bones from wings, acorns etc. Luckily nothing crazy and it didn't pass filter... redoing a lot of engine anyway.

18. sw847

sw847 Member

handling i would say the audi...

but interior and comfort I would go with the AMG...

I never owned a 335, but have test driven it...

like someone else have said you can't really go wrong with either...

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know if its your style but the 16 camaro is great performace for the dollar, remodeled this year with an upgraded interior.

Isn't as luxurious as the other cars, wont have the same tech, but I'd reccomend going to test drive a 2ss if you can just to see.

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I had a 2010 Camaro before. I liked it but it was just so uncomfortable as a daily driver with my commute I had back then. I don't have much of a commute any more and I'm sure they have made some improvements to the comfort, so maybe I'll look into it. Might even look into a ZL1?