1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blum and Ensberg gotta be in that lineup!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jauquinsux, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Jauquinsux

Jauquinsux Member

I know that Geoff Blum extended his hitting streak to 16 games today and Morgan Ensberg is the teams co-leader in homeruns. I was shocked to see that Ensberg wasnt in the line up tonight. He just had 3 days off!! Blum is our utility infielder...Play him at SS (Even though Everett's bat is coming around.) If the astros make the playoffs it'll be interesting to see Jimy's Line up card...the bat of Blum or the glove of Everett. Thats all I got.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

how about no. Adam Everett is a better shortstop. There is a thread that was talking about this. Everyone knows Jimy Williams, Geoff Blum will still get plenty of playing time.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Defense is severly underrated. The Astros, generally, have been a pretty good defensive team this year, and, imo, that helps win games. For that reason, Everett needs to be in there. Blum should be playing, though, but as a somewhat regular utility man - I don't see why he can't sub in at nearly any position on the field (other than pitcher, catcher and maybe center)??

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Blum's bat isn't good enough that we stretch the limits of his defensive abilities to stick him in the lineup, regardless of cost. Everett is no great maestro with the stick, but (Everett's D - Blum's D) >>> (Blum's O - Everett's O)

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

preventing/saving runs from scoring for the other team is equally important as scoring runs for your team.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If not more important.

7. Buck Turgidson

For the love of all that is good and holy, can we stop this insanity, or at least post it in the fantasy forum where it belongs.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, but it was Ensberg on the bench last night.
    Ensberg's O >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everett's O

I think Everett and Blum should platoon SS, with Everett getting most of the playing time. Blum should play when resting Lance, Hidalgo, and Kent.

There's no way Ensberg should ever be on the bench!

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

blum should be on the bench...as a utility guy and pinch hitter. but i wouldn't remove a legitimate everyday SS, something few teams really have (and the astros have RARELY had in their history), for a guy like Geoff Blum.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There is not a single manager in the entire major leagues who would regularly platoon Blum and Everett. It's not going to happen. If Everett went down for the season, Blum would not be the everyday replacement.

Where were all of the folks who think Blum should platoon with Everett 2 weeks ago? Blum is currently on a nice hitting streak. That doesn't justify him splitting time with the Astros best defensive infielder.

11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I know, but I can't control our whack-job of a manager. Engsberg should be ann everyday player, because he's mashing it.

But Blum isn't a great hitter, and there's no reason to try and jimy him into a lineup spot for the sake of his anemic bat.

Blum's a solid utility player off the bench - good for pinch hitting and relieving the corner infielders and outfielders and giving them a rest day now and again. But he shouldn't be getting any kind of platooning action, and he shouldn't be starting anywhere.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

In Jimy Williams defense, Blum has been on fire. He played a hunch and it paid off.

I think Blum is starting for Kent tonight.

13. JPM0016

normally an injured player returns they will

play 1 game
    take a day off

play 2 games
    take a day off

play 3 games
    take a day off

then after that they are ready to go

Richard Hidalgo followed this pattern earlier in the year

14. bobrek

Not true about Hidalgo. After coming off the disabled list he played a game, sat a game and then played 9 games (all starts) before sitting out again.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ensberg on the bench 2 days in a row. Hmmmmmmm.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Supposedly there are rumors of an Ensberg for Kris Benson deal in the works.

I like Benson a lot, but the pirates won't get that much for him. They'll settle for less.

17. JPM0016

i don't buy any Kris Benson for Ensberg deals. It doesn't make sense for the astros really. Their pitching is a lot better and you don't trade a guy making the league minimum who has 17 home runs and a 300 batting average.

my bad Bobrek, i remember hearing Bill Brown talk about Hidalgo returning to the lineup and he said that Jimy was going to follow that pattern but apparently he didn't need to follow it.

18. bobrek

No problem. I had also heard that they were going to sit Kent tonight, but apparently that planned changed. It's hard to sit a veteran once they feel healthy.

19. bobrek

I suspect he'll be back in the lineup now that Blum's hitting streak is over. It was perplexing why they brought Hunter up to pinch hit Thursday night instead of Ensberg.

20. haven

haven Member

...and Blum sucks even w/the hitting streak. He doesn't walk, doesn't hit for power, and I can't tell that he's much better than Ensberg w/the glove.

What on earth does Jimy Williams see in him? Ensberg is having a much better season, yet the preference goes to the old guy who's been mediocre his entire year. It isn't just that Ensberg has played better - he's been an entirely different kind of player. If he had the at-bats, Ensberg's a probable all-star. Blum has been below average over the season.

It's frustrating :(.