1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Blueprint for Rockets success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 28, 2003.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If you don't like our power forwards -- and incidentally, I do -- then you should think about attainable ones with futures like Zach Randolph of Portland or Troy Murphy of Golden State or even Kwame Brown of Washington.

Griffin (and Ming for that matter) is too afraid of fouling out. Both Griffin and Ming should just "damn the torpedoes" and get aggressive going to the basket and for the ball. The Rocket backups are quite capable of taking over once their six fouls (but not stupid ones) are expended.

2. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Actually, I do like Griffin and think that he has a future - I was just suggesting that if we were going to trade him, we should get a substantial benefit to the team. Brand is an available commodity - he turned down a $10 million offer to play for the Clippers and we all know how their management is.

Btw, I don't blame Brand for turning it down. I'd be looking for the first bus out of town or a max contract if I played for them too.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just about everyone agrees that's a great post. Me too!

Except Jalen Rose is better than Francis. Jalen Rose can score more and is a very good passer and ball handler as well. He was important when they got to the Finals, playing a lot of point- forwards. Yet he is selfish and he didn't fit with the new Pacers, that's why he was traded.

My point is Steve Francis can be traded. People think he is better than he is because of his amazing explosiveness.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I like that he taked with Jordan. At first it was a business discussion (moving to the Wizards). But it later changed to "What does it take to be a leader" conversation.

I just hope that Francis doesn't want to "be like Mike" in terms of athletic ablity. It wont happen. That's why Kobe got into a lot of trouble when he was younger. He would drive to the basket, tring to mimick Jordan's moves and end up turning the ball over. No one can do those moves today. Once Kobe started playing "his game" he flourished.

Francis'es game seem to be simliar to KJ's and Isiah's. Maybe a little Nate "Tiny" Archibald too! :)

Not sure if Francis can ever develop the passing ablity that Isiah did, but I'm sure he can have flashes of brilliants like KJ! KJ had a lot of games in which he had 12+ assists and only 2-3 turnovers (the whole game, including any overtimes!).

Francis just needs to get those turnovers down!! :mad: He's 4.14 today.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The only reason Indiana is successful is that they play in the East. They're 23-7 against the East. In the West, they'd be right where the Rockets are. The Rockets beat them at home this year and lost in the closing seconds at Indiana.

Another big point is their team leaders have experience:

J. O'Neal has played 433 career games (including 29 playoffs). Francis has played 257. That's a big difference right there. Let Francis play that extra 2.5 seasons and let's see where the Rockets are. And don't try to minimize Miller's impact -- he's playing 30 minutes a game and putting up 14 points on 47 percent from the field.

And the main point is that the Pacers will never win a championship. The Rockets have a chance with Ming. That's the goal, right? Or is it to get the #6 seed this year and lose in the first round?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Pacers will never win a championship? I think they have a good chance. They have big men who like to bang, a smart point guard, and a very scary defense. That is going to be a scary playoff team. I think they are way better than the Celtics and a very good match for the Nets.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Wow. I haven't heard that he turned down an offer all ready. If the Clips still are losing by the tradeline hopefully thay will look at offers. The Rockets should look to trade anyone whos name is not Francis or Yao. Cato and Mobley would be players I see the Clipps wanting.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Really? They are currently 9-5 vs the West. If they beat SA tonight at home they're 10-5. That's a lot better than 23-19 the way I compute it. :)

9. trugoy

trugoy Member

Indiana's record against the west is the same as Sacramento's against the east, what does this mean, not a whole lot. The rockets split the season series with pacers, pacers have beaten sacramento 5 out of the last 6 times they've met, what does this mean, not a whole lot.

Amazingly for someone so experienced, JO has played nearly 1000 less minutes than SF in the NBA, your point is well taken however, for someone who is younger than SF, JO's game and leadership is far more mature at this particular point in both their respective careers.

Reggie certainly is important to the Pacers, they are however 10-2 without him this season. The pacers are so deep that one player's absence does not effect the team as much as most other teams.

you are entitled to your opinion, I have to disagree, since you like stats, i'll throw a couple out for you to ponder, the pacers are 29 -4 when leading after 3 quarters, 5-1 in overtime games, 12-3 in games decided by 5 points or fewer. What that says to me is killer instinct, and good offensive execution at crunch time. Which is really what winning championships are all about.