1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blue October *stoked for* new cd release (foiled)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by peleincubus, Mar 24, 2006.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ok normally i wouldnt start a new thread for just any band or group that has a new cd coming out. but this band is different, They have probably been more important then any other band out there ever. With the possible exception of Pink Floyd.

There lyrics are nothing to mess around with. Most of the things that they write about are easily related to, but not in a overly contrived way.

There new cd comes out soon. Try out some there older stuff on there website.

They also have cd release parties in dallas april 4th, austin april 5th, and houston april 6th. they will be playing a few acousitc songs and will meet everyone that shows up. and its free!

Also has anyone here ever seen this band live? What have you thought about there performances? One of the better bands i like live, right up there with Ministry, Tool, and a few others.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I also meant to say most important band out there for ME then Pink Floyd.

;)

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The first time I heard about these guys was in highschool when a lame classmate of mine had one of their CD's and told me about this "really good local band" and that he or his brother knew all the guys in the band. That made them lame to me before I even heard a song and so far, I've stuck to my guns and not given them a chance.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Thank you for your correction.

I saw them play live once, and I walked away thoroughly unimpressed.

Nothing worse than pomposity on a club stage, IMHO.
    Save it for when you go platinum and play in arenas.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about them.

I saw them once in college and after hearing so much about them, I was expecting a LOT more than what I got.

Wasn't there a lot of hype around them at one time for being "Houston's next great band"? Then they got a record deal and then it fell apart or something like that. Maybe I'm thinking of a different band, maybe no.

Playing in an "inde-band" is cool for a while, but after 15+ years and pretty much nothing to show for it except a small regional following and a few CD's, it might be time to move on to another project...*

*unless the name of your band is Ten Hands.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well looks like i have struck out on you guys. but there is no reason not to give a band a chance if you have never heard them.

and as for your lame connection to the band. ive seen them quite a few times and i have seen plenty of non "lame" girls there... :)

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I can't wait for the next The Hunger show....

What were we talking about again?

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

actually there probably about to blow up in terms of popularity. there about to appear on jay leno, and have there video play on vh1 per there myspace website.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2617396

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Lead singer is an a-hole. Few friends of mine were in a band (Last Wish) with him back in high school, and his ego was out of control then. I can only imagine he's worse now that he's actually had some success.

10. surrender

surrender Member

They're no Duran Duran

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

dang wasnt anticipating all the negativity. but rest assured (im hoping) someone around here likes this band... :(

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You've been here long enough to know what a bunch of musical snobs we are, you should have seen it coming! ;)

They're just not my cup of tea, no big deal.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah im the same way about music mostly. usually not much middle ground for me, either like/dislike something.

and nobody really ever wants to hear bad things about something they like a lot. of course unless you like brittney spears, or creed a lot then you come to expect it.

14. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

If you are looking for positive Blue October feedback...try a board with a larger percentage of 20 something women...A lot of women I know are fans of Blue October...I can't think of any other males who are particularly stoked about em.

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im totally stoked for blue october!
    [​IMG]

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I used to know one of the guys in the band YEARS ago. They've really worked hard to get where they are and I'm happy for them. It's good for Houston music if they do well.

That having been said, I don't personally care for them that much, but that's me.

17. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Be sure and catch them at the:

[​IMG]

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Fear not...they've grown on me as I've heard more and more of their music. I'm thinkin of checking out their last album.

19. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

My wife went to college and hungout with them, so I have no choice but to hear their music all the time... It is kinda neat that when we see one of their shows they still remember my wife from Southwest! I didn't believe her for the longest time until we saw them at the Coors tent at the Superbowl party downtown, and they actually pulled her and her best friend aside and BSed with us for about 30 minutes... Yeah Blue October! :rolleyes:

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I like Blue October and I'm not gay or a 20 year old woman so err... yeah. I've never seen them live and in fact never even heard of them until an acquaintance introduced me to their music about 2 months ago. Apparently she went to high school with one of the band members. Hastings maybe?

Anyway, the lyrics for Razorblade are pretty brutal so I definitely agree with you on some of their lyrics. I'm looking forward to the new CD. I've heard Hate Me and X Amount of Words from their MySpace page and it sounds pretty good. Hopefully the rest of it is as good.