1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blu-ray is officially doomed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 11, 2007.

1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Can't get any more resolution from the source than what it begins with. There are some GREAT doublers and scalers out there but the source is still the same. Watch a DVD with progressive scan turned off(if thats possible on today's players) and then watch it turned on. There is a huge difference in the picture quality. But its still the same source.

Also, most older(mid early 90s) projection TVs used to have 900 lines of resolution on them, but they would still upscale the sources to that. So technically they made VHS display 900 lines....but it was almost quadrupled which is why it looked crappy on some of those really big screens.

To understand what I am talking about, watch a youtube video in its native resolution, and then blow it up 2 or 3 times and note the PQ reduction.

2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I disagree, an upconverted DVD does NOT look as good as a full 1080P blu-ray disc.

3. sook

sook Rookie

HD- DVD is basically dead, go to fry's and you can find the HD-DVD xbox drive which used to be $150 for $30 b.c they are useless.

Who gives a crap about HD-DVD p*rn?

The internet is blessed with countless hours and for free! :confused:

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

But does this new technology close the gap to the point you can't tell the difference ? People will always go for the cheaper product if it is comparable to the more expensive item -- standard dvd' along with the players are significantly cheaper.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

You can put 1080p res on a standard dvd, but there is only about 20-30 minutes worth of space on the disk.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Upconverted DVDs aren't in the same league as even a mediocre looking HD-DVD/Blu-ray title. And don't forget the lossless audio tracks also. Those blow away what DVD has to offer.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Doomed, I say!

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you have the equipment to take advantage of that.
    not many people upgrade their sound and just stick with tv speakers or a cheap HTIB.

9. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

That's what you call some Pr0n on-the go for the dumb@$$ man.

10. count_dough-ku

I have crappy speakers from a home theater in a box in my bedroom and when I A-B a lossy track with a lossless/uncompressed one, I can easily notice a difference in quality.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For a good number of people, Blu-ray isn't a compelling upgrade over DVD. Hopefully Toshiba is very successful and it puts downward pressure on Blu-ray player prices.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

not worth the price

id rather have my regular dvd for half the price

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

14. tinman

Supporting Member

of course you do. but what about the cheapskates?

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You can get most bluray disks from amazon for $15.

16. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

There aren't enough "wah wah wahs" in the world for this thread.

17. count_dough-ku

Definitely. I watched a few minutes of Transformers on HBO-HD last night and it was a mess. Aside from the cropped aspect ratio(16:9 instead of 2.35:1), the artifacting made the climactic battle in the city almost unwatchable. The HD-DVD(and I assume the upcoming Blu-ray release) doesn't have this problem.

I thought a "home theater in a box" was geared toward the cheapskates.

Not really. Some of the Lion's Gate titles(Total Recall, T2, Stargate) can be had for that much. But most titles range from 20-27 bucks. Ever since Blu-ray won the format war, those discounted prices and 3-for-2 sales are very rare.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

there are people who don't even get HTIBs. TV speakers.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Good Article

http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2008/8/20/3847175.html

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

From my preview yesterday I can tell you that the XD-E500 certainly does offer an improvement over existing upconverting players and that the technology itself has shown an astonishing range for improvement.

______

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7CFoJuRcjHU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7CFoJuRcjHU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>