1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blowout game with starters still in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Dec 10, 2016.

1. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yep and Defensive drills I'm thinkin...it looked like a pick up game out there

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

I would like to see the deep bench players actually get some playing time in the last few minutes of a game (especially since it was a blowout still with a few minutes left.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

good. i kinda like the rockets stepping on their throats. these aren't your grandfather's rockets!!

vince and Pen15clubber like this.
  4. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

It is a valid concern

5. vince

vince Member

Some people just don't get get it. A team has to have the killer instinct. The great teams play under control regardless if the have a 2 point lead, or 30 point lead. The Rockets tend to relax with a lead and lose the intensity. I like MDA playing them with these leads, for too long we've had coaches pull the starters as soon as a game seemed partially decided. But the team never learned to play with a lead, and would be susceptible to big comebacks, which demoralized the team for future games.

This is the NBA, every player is among the best in the world. You can't send the message you are going to take the foot off the accelerator, it gives false confidence to the players for future games.

All I ask is they don't taunt and act like fools if they are running a team out of the building. Which luckily This team has seemed very gracious when leading.

ramotadab and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  6. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

damn must we b**** about everything

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Nobody is saying for the 4th quarter... but the last 3-4 minutes of the game with a huge blowout lead. We have beaten Dallas 3 times now this year so this was not a statement game by any means.

8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think MDA left the starters in long tonight because:

1) For the first time we won't have to go fly anywhere for a week

2) Our next 2 games are against Brooklyn and Sacramento

ramotadab, Stormy1234 and jayfree like this.
  9. jayfree

jayfree Member

^ THIS, I like this answer

DonKnock likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Carlisle agrees

DonKnock likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Or maybe this

Stormy1234 and DonKnock like this.
  12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

ariza's high minute log is underrated. same with bev at 30. these guys are going all out on defense and supposed to hit clutch threes? not gonna happen every game, one of the main reasons we sucked last season.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Any chance they're working on game endurance?

DudeWah likes this.
  14. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Because the Rockets are BFF with Kevin Gates

15. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Wasn't there a game like 3 years ago against the Mavs at home were we cleared the bench with 4 minutes left and had a 15+ point lead, then Jae Chrowder hit like 4 threes in a row while our offense got stupid. I think it got within 3 points even though it was a blowout the whole game.

I remember everyone was freaking out why McHale didn't put back the starters when they got within 10 with 2 minutes left. McHale stuck with the scrubs till the very end lmaooo

#35 RocketsJumer, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    ramotadab likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I feel it's because our starting group still has kinks running the offense, unlike our bench who runs it to a perfection.

ramotadab likes this.
  17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Well it helps that the 2nd unit has someone that is shooting like 8 3's a game at 60% the past couple of weeks. Then you have 4 hustle guys in Bev, Dekker, Harrell and even Brewer pushing the tempo.

I wish Harden would push the tempo a little more often though. Too often he walks the ball up then dribbles it out to get the offense moving.

ramotadab and DonKnock like this.
  18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

You wanna see kj ennis and bobby play? LOL

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Lol THIS. We already have a deep rotation every game; there isn't much more love to spread around. Oh, and we no longer have Bobby so our pine-warmers are literally down to KJ and Anus. ;)

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I forgot about that game lol. And the lesson of that was, while it is important for starters to perform their jobs full time every game to keep killer instinct going, it was a learning experience for THE BENCH to learn how to win games and deal with adversity. Reserves are people too, and might need to get counted on. Engaging them once in a while wouldn't hurt