1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"blood libel" = too far this time?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

She wasn't comparing the two events, she was using the same phrase, which is not exclusive to that context.

2. Commodore

Your conflating smearing (lieing) with fact-based criticism.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama was not friends with Ayers. They knew each other (not really that well.)

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Since it is a modern phrase that you are familiar with, can you explain then how it exactly applies to her context (what the false rumors of ritual sacrifice are, who the sacrificial victims are, and what the pogroms are in this context) - again, I'm not clear on this.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i'll warn you, it involves tittie milk.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

but does invite the comparison. That's why the phrase is used.

7. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Can't we just ignore Palin for now? It's not like she has any political position other than being a former governor who quit her job.

I think we should be done with this thread and remove her from our daily thoughts.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I agree wholeheartedly - I don't really take her that seriously.

I actually started this thread not really to discuss her, but to raise the idea that we might finally be done with her other than in a non-Snooki/Kardashian context after this incident. I figured even some of her supporters might say "this nutjob is pretending like she's a holocaust victim - I'm done with her" or something like that. I guess not.

Though I must admit it is bearing other fruit currently.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that's how i view her too. i wish snooki/kardashians/lohans/palins, et al would all be removed from anything i ever see. but until then, i can certainly have fun making fun of them.

10. ChievousFTFace

The difference between snooki/kardashians/paris hilton/etc and Palin is that she holds a large influence over a base of disgruntled voters. The more we bash her and make fun of her (rightfully so due to her out-of-touch quotes and views) the more we prop her up and increase the size of her base.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he ghost wrote The Once's memoir.

12. Commodore

now this would qualify as a smear, there's no evidence for such a claim

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Here is some more Palin out of touch quotes and views,....wait, O man, I sent you Obama. sorry about that. I greatly apologize...

UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? It's the Post Office that's always having problems." –attempting to make the case for government-run healthcare, while simultaneously undercutting his own argument, Portsmouth, N.H., Aug. 11, 2009

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly." —commenting on a white police officer's arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. at his home in Cambridge, Mass., at a news conference, July 22, 2009

"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." --in remarks after a health care roundtable with physicians, nurses and health care providers, Washington, D.C., July 20, 2009

"It was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of -- I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing." --confusing German for "Austrian," a language which does not exist, Strasbourg, France, April 6, 2009

"No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something." --making an off-hand joke during an appearance on "The Tonight Show", March 19, 2009 (Obama later called the head of the Special Olympics to apologize)

"I didn't want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any seances." --after saying he had spoken with all the living presidents as he prepared to take office, Washington, D.C., Nov. 7, 2008 (Obama later called Nancy Reagan to apologize)

"I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." -- defending his tax plan to Joe the Plumber, who argued that Obama's policy hurts small-business owners like himself, Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2008

"What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith..." --in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, who jumped in to correct Obama by saying "your Christian faith," which Obama quickly clarified (Watch video clip)

"I'm here with the Girardo family here in St. Louis." --speaking via satellite to the Democratic National Convention, while in Kansas City, Missouri, Aug. 25, 2008

"Let me introduce to you the next President -- the next Vice President of the United States of America, Joe Biden." --slipping up while introducing Joe Biden at their first joint campaign rally, Springfield, Illinois, Aug. 23, 2008

"Just this past week, we passed out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee -- which is my committee -- a bill to call for divestment from Iran as way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don't obtain a nuclear weapon." --referring to a committee he is not on, Sderot, Israel, July 23, 2008

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change." --Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008

"How's it going, Sunshine?" --campaigning in Sunrise, Florida

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

"Hold on one second, sweetie, we're going to do -- we'll do a press avail." --to a female reporter for ABC's Detroit affiliate who asked about his plan to help American autoworkers (Watch video clip)

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon (Watch video clip)

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" --after being asked a foreign policy question by a reporter while visiting a diner in Pennsylvania

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." --explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, you know, there's a reaction that's been bred in our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society."

"Come on! I just answered, like, eight questions." --exasperated by reporters after a news conference

"You're likeable enough, Hillary." --during a Democratic debate

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/barackobama/a/obama-isms.htm

#93 ROXRAN, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  14. ChievousFTFace

[​IMG]

Sarah Palin is irrelevant... love her all you want... she's not going anywhere.

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

"Jonas Brothers are here, they're out there somewhere. Sasha and Malia are huge fans, but boys, don't get any ideas. Two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I'm joking?"
    - Obama

Blood libel vs. predator drones...the battle of two words versus two words...who will win? Predator drone does,..cuz you..never..see..it..coming...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/05/obama-drone-joke-was-it-offens.html

16. ChievousFTFace

We could go into Bushisms. When put under a microscope, anybody will say things that are ridiculous. With that said... we need to respect the office of the president. This is something the right has a hard time dealing with although they used to scream the same thing when people criticized Bush for the Iraq War.

Obama > Palin

Commander in Chief > Governor that Quit

Most powerful man in the world > irrelevant woman

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh, there's plenty of evidence, albeit no definitive proof.

18. ChievousFTFace

This is great news for McCain!!!

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lol.

Yeah, a funny joke written by Obama's speech writer is certainly comparable to Sarah Palin using anti-semetic terms.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

hahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahaha!!!!!

Do you really believe that to be the case?

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2009/10/07/ayers

I'm laughing so hard right now. I can't believe it.