1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

blockbuster trade proposal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by link, Jan 6, 2003.

1. link

link Member

with everybody posting ridiculous trade rumors, i decided to try simulating a couple of trades that might help the rockets win some games.

here are a couple of trades that were accepted and might be doable. even though its highly improbable.

Houston trades: PF Eddie Griffin (8.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 24.3 minutes)
    PF Jason Collier (3.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.0 apg in 10.7 minutes)
    SF Terence Morris (3.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.8 minutes)
    PG Tito Maddox (1.7 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 3.3 minutes)

Houston receives: PF Elton Brand (18.6 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 40.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +2.0 ppg, -0.3 rpg, and +0.8 apg.

L.A. Clippers trades: PF Elton Brand (18.6 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 40.5 minutes)

L.A. Clippers receives: PF Eddie Griffin (8.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 29 games)
    PF Jason Collier (3.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.0 apg in 6 games)
    SF Terence Morris (3.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17 games)
    PG Tito Maddox (1.7 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 3 games)
    Change in team outlook: -2.0 ppg, +0.3 rpg, and -0.8 apg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

right after pulling off the elton brand blockbuster trade, i decided to try trading maurice taylor for a real power forward who can at least rebound. i have two different trade proposals. the trade is with the knicks. the main target is othella harrington.

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (6.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 18.6 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Othella Harrington (6.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 22.5 minutes)
    SF Clarence Weatherspoon (5.9 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +6.2 ppg, +10.9 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

New York trades: PF Othella Harrington (6.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 22.5 minutes)
    SF Clarence Weatherspoon (5.9 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    New York receives: PF Maurice Taylor (6.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 21 games)
    Change in team outlook: -6.2 ppg, -10.9 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (6.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 18.6 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Othella Harrington (6.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 22.5 minutes)
    C Travis Knight (1.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 8.4 minutes)
    SG Lavor Postell (3.2 ppg, 0.2 rpg, 0.2 apg in 6.7 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +4.6 ppg, +4.8 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

New York trades: PF Othella Harrington (6.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 22.5 minutes)
    C Travis Knight (1.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 8.4 minutes)
    SG Lavor Postell (3.2 ppg, 0.2 rpg, 0.2 apg in 6.7 minutes)
    New York receives: PF Maurice Taylor (6.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 21 games)
    Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, -4.8 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

depending on which trade proposal with the knicks gets accepted in real life. the rockets could possibly have a team like this:

C Yao /cato/knight
    PF Brand/othella
    SF Rice/posey/nachbar/hawkins
    PG Francis/norris/
    SG Mobley/posey/postell

or

C Yao/cato
    PF Brand/othella
    SF Rice/posey/nachbar/hawkins/weatherspoon
    PG Francis/norris
    SG Mobley/posey

who thinks ridiculous trades like these could actually happen? and what impact do you think it would have on the rockets team this season if trades like these were made?

2. jh3lau

jh3lau Member

get real
    clippers won't give up their all start PF
    with the likes of EG and a bunch of no-names
    at his point, EG still hasn't proved himself to be an all star

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

dude, what the hell are you smoking and where can i get ahold of some?
    with all due respect, your trade scenerios were rediculous. why would the clips trade their best player for eddie g and a bunch of garbage players (no offense to the afforementioned)? and why would we trade mo taylor for othella harrington. do you remember when othella played for the rockets. god bless the guy, but he sucks.

i propose that we trade francis and griffin to the warriors for earl boykins and mike dunleavy. that will solve all our problems at the 1 and 4. its become clear to me that francis will not pan out and griffin has had enough time to develop. im sick of waiting on him. he must go!

4. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

I think it is very hard to trade Mo Taylor for anybody. Mo had not prove that his game is back to the point before his injury. We are even not sure if he is completely recover from the injury or not. That along with his average 8million/year for the next 5 year will scare off any team from make a trade with Houston for him. The only scenario that any team would trade for Mo is if they want to get rid of some overpaid players or some big contracts. As far as Elton Brand go, I think the Clippers can get better offer than Eddie Griffin who is still an unproven commodity at this time. If we throw in Mobley along with Griffin, they might think about it.?

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No. Griffin +Mobley does not equal Brand. They already have Wilcox and Ely.

6. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

Yes, you're right. They don't need another young PF. On the other hand we are talking about the Clippers here. Who would guess that they would pick Wilcox and Ely when they already have Brand(unless they don't plan to resign Brand)? If they don't plan to resign Brand then they might explore a trade for some players with good potential and cheap contract. I think Mobley is a bargain and Griifin's rookie contract doesn't cost them much. Stranger things had happen. Remember Brand was trade from the Bulls for a first round draft pick (and it turn out to be Curry if I am not mistaking). So Mobley and Griffin might not be that far off. And who know in a few year Griffin might not be as good as Brand?

7. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

WHOA!! Let's try some of this joint!

(sounds of inhaling in the background)

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSS SHHHHHHHHHHHH*************T IIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN....

8. link

link Member

you should know. i borrowed it from you. ^_^

why would the clips trade their best player for eddie g and a bunch of garbage players. first i want to point out, that i'm not actually serious about any of the trade scenarios i posted. second, as ridiculous as my trade proposals were, they were a hell of a lot better and actually realistic compared to some of the trade proposals posted before. i was just trying to see whether any of this would actually be doable under the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. and they are, i used a trade simulator to see if this trade would actually be accepted and it was. the garbage players used in the eddie g for elton brand trade were just to balance out the salaries so the trade would be doable. the only possible reason for the clips to even consider such a deal would be to move brand before they have to pay him big. the clips are a team in disarray. they're not winning with their current team so why would they keep an expensive player when they can trade him for someone less expensive and younger and with potential. also before you call my trade scenarios ridiculous, learn to spell the word.

as for the othella harrington for maurice taylor trade, that was just to get some replacements to make up for all the backups traded away in the elton brand deal and harrington is the same size as taylor and will just rebound instead of taking unneccessary shots at power forward like taylor does. :cool:

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

The Clips already have two young PFs that are waiting for a shot. Heck, that doesn't even include Wang! Why would they trade for another?

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i dont think so...jo mama dont share his stash.

maybe the trade generator accepeted the deal, but that is a computer, not a real person. dont get me wrong, id love to have brand, but you would have to be a total idiot to trade brand for griffin...wait a minute. i forgot were talking about the clippers here. they are total idiots.

11. SLA

SLA Member

Why would any of these deals occur if one team had a + in all areas and the other team had a decrease? It has to be balanced. But maybe it doesn't. Maybe the Knicks could think that Maurice Taylor could develop and return to star form. Potential...these would never happen.

12. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

You are right that in this world, only Knicks could trade for Maurice Taylor. The problem is that Knicks' garbage storage is kind of loaded now.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dude, lay off the crack. No way we trade our rejects for a perennial All-Star. The only people we can trade for Elton Brand is Eddie Griffin, James Posey, and a #1 for him. I still won't think they would go for that either.

14. link

link Member

ever wonder why the clippers drafted chris wilcox who is a power forward??? that right there already indicates that the clippers are looking to replace elton brand who is a power forward with a cheaper solution and eddie griffin is exactly that. i don't exactly want to trade eddie griffin, but it's not as impossible as you think.

i mean these are the rockets, they did pull off the biggest trade in nba history to get steve francis, so nothing's impossible with them. and the clippers usually don't sign their players to long term contracts anyway, so a trade is possible. but chances of the rockets trading griffin are still very low. they like his potential a lot and i do too. griffin does have one thing elton doesn't and that's 3 point range. but if the rockets keep on losing to lottery teams and the team decides they want to win now instead of later, they might try the impossible and trade for brand.