1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. ROCKETS GAMEDAY
    The Rockets hope to rebound (no pun intended) after that brutal loss to Charlotte when they take on Ja Morant and the Grizzlies tonight. Come join us live at 7:00pm CT!

LIVE! Rockets vs. Grizzlies

Blinebury: Last Tango with Adelman. Hello, Mike Budenholzer.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is why the whole argument that "Adelman is not suitable for a rebuilding team" is so ludicrous. His track records prove otherwise. Unless Adelman himself doesn't want to go through the rebuilding process in his old age, dumping him just because we are rebuilding is simply stupid.

2. baller4life315

Disagreed. Sure, with all the running and quick shots it's similar to the ol' SSOL Suns offense but nowhere to that degree. I'd counter that even with T-Mac (the non-washed up/headcase version), it was still 60-70% Princeton stuff with T-Mac based PnR'ing for the rest. So basically, unless we're getting an Amare type I have my doubts. That's just my opinion, though.

3. leebigez

leebigez Member

Its hard having 2 women in the same house, can you imagine 12 all american or international stars? I've coached young girls teams and its as difficult if not more than coaching young boys.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

I honestly would not be surprised if the messy Tracy McGrady divorce had something to do with Mr. Alexander's decision to not extend Adelman.

5. durvasa

durvasa Member

Interesting theory.

Alexander liked McGrady a lot, as I remember. I could definitely see that being a factor.

6. choujie

choujie Member

wasn't Les furious at Tmac after his decision to go surgery and wanted him out?

7. BetterThanEver

Ain't that the truth? My cousin and his wife moved in with my brother and his wife. After 2 months, the women were constantly crying and complaining about the other one. The cousin and his wife moved out. I am glad it was my brother and not me. It was hell for him.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's me.:p

I don't think Stan will be available(even with an early playoff exit). Anyone know his contract status?

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

The Magic extented Van Gundy, as well as Otis Smith through 2012-13 in the off-season.

I don't expect him to be fired, but I think there sure is a chance depending on how they perform in the playoffs.

I've watched an awful lot of Magic games in the last 3 years, so I can tell you that Van Gundy, while one of the better coaches in this leauge, would not be an upgrade over Adelman and certainly not what this team needs, moving forward.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Feigan on Stan:

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

...Questions start offseason

[rquoter]The 43-39 mark ranks as the second best of their league-record of five winning seasons without a playoff appearance.

Where they will go next is unclear, and not just because the NBA seemed heading for a work stoppage when the collective bargaining agreement ends June 30.

Rockets coach Rick Adelman’s contract is up that day, too, but he does not plan to wait that long to meet with Rockets general manager Daryl Morey to see where he stands and determine what he wants to do.

“I want to know what they’re thinking,” Adelman said. “I would like to see us talk fairly quickly. I’m going to be there. I think we’ll sit down tomorrow or Friday and then we’ll know what each other’s thoughts are. I don’t know at this point.
    “Obviously, they can decide to make a change. That won’t change anything I want to do. I have questions, too. I want answers to a lot of things. If I’m going to come back, which direction are we going to go as a group? I want to hear what they have to say, not to argue with them. I’ve talked this over with my wife and we have a pretty good idea what we would do either way. It’s OK either way. There are definite things I want to know if I were to have the opportunity to come back." [/rquoter]

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The funny thing is, both SVG and Adelman would be at the top of a lot of teams' list if they became free agents. And how likely would it be that Orlando and Houston just swap their coaches? Maybe Morey can do a SnT with Orlando for the coaching staffs.:eek:

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Looks like Adelman wants to be back but wants to make sure him and the FO are on the same page. It sounds like there are some "rifts" but not the unrepairable sort.

15. Billionzz

Billionzz Member

Speak for yourself, I would love to have JVG back, he had great success considering the little talent that we had.

16. leebigez

leebigez Member

Its been a problem for 3 yrs or so. Adelman doesnt like the way morey does business. Every trade thought, the rockets are in the mix, but not really. He didnt want to play tracy, he didnt want the 24 minutes of yao either. He wasnt asked his thoughts on williams nor was he fully on board trading ariza for another sg. He wants more roster control and finalization on possible trades.

1 person likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

That might be the case, which would mean goodbye Adelman. The way Morey does business is about the best thing going for the Rockets and Les is smart enough to realize that. Adelman is a good coach but not one of a kind and is replaceable.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

More from that blog entry from Feigen:

[rquoter]Sometime in the next 48 hours, Rick Adelman and Daryl Morey will get together to ask tough questions, provide needed answers and see where they go from here.

They don't need to go to a public place for a civil breakup, though both might feel the need to say "It's not you, it's me."

The notion that the decision about whether to bring Adelman back as Rockets coach is Leslie Alexander's is not true. It can be true at any time he chooses. It could come to that. That's not where it is now.

Morey needs to get together with his coach and see if they still fit. Adelman needs to ask pointed questions of Morey.

Adelman's ongoing displeasure with the trades this season did represent the usual difference between the missions of a coach and GM. The GM must be thinking of the future or he is not doing his job. The coach must be thinking of the next game to do his. But in this case, it also represented a disconnect between the front office and coaching staff.

They do talk, but probably not enough. More than that, the way they thought of the team differed too much for things to be right.

When they do talk, they need to feel that they will mesh next season and for seasons to come. The Rockets should not think of the front office and coaching staff as separate parts of the same company.

There are always going to be differences. That's the nature of the jobs. In the Rockets' case, there is the added divide that comes with the new school and traditional ways of doing things. The coaching staff is almost entirely made up of former NBA players. The front office almost consists of executives that did not play on any level. But that can be a strength, with potential to get the best of both styles and backgrounds.

There is respect, and a lot of it. (Maybe more than they know.) Without that, there would be no point in getting together at all.

If they want, they probably could come away feeling as if they can work together much better than they knew.

Then, the "process" moves to Alexander .[/rquoter]

19. PeppermintCandy

From Feigen's blog entry:
    This would be the only thing that would make me think not re-signing Adelman is a good idea. They don't always have to agree, but Morey needs to feel that Adelman supports his long-term plan for the team.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

This "ongoing displeasure" really highlights the disconnect and the reason why they are at odds. I'm not talking about the disconnect between Adelman and Morey, but rather the disconnect between Adelman and reality. Seeing how the trades this season were a huge reason why the team started playing better, and the "next game" not in "the future".

Before I thought maybe it was an age thing, where Adelman was too old to fit with a rebuilding team, but this makes a lot more sense. It isn't necessarily a coaching thing, they just aren't on the same page philosophically. Adelman's opinion deserves respect due to the success that he has enjoyed. Respect, not blind following. I think the front office has given that respect in his time here. However if the gap in opinion is too large it would be counter-productive. In that case you have to hitch on to the right wagon, and that choice is easy.

1 person likes this.