1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[bleacherreport]Mike Leach to the Raiders?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Jan 4, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/319610-nfl-coaching-news-mike-leach-to-the-oalan-raiders

NFL Coaching News: Mike Leach to the Oakland Raiders?

Senior Analyst Written on January 04, 2010

Today has been nothing short of amazing it terms of NFL news. Things have been especially entertaining here in the Washington D.C. area, where the Washington Redskins always keep you busy during the offseason. However, this bit of news comes from the other side of the country, all the way in Oakland.

According to sources at the Dan Patrick Show, the Oakland Raiders are very interested in former Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach. While it would be a surprising move, it would actually make some sense.

Current Raiders' coach Tom Cable has been under fire all season, beginning with an incident in which he may or may not have broken the jaw of his assistants during training camp. Combine that with a losing record and the revolving door at quarterback, and you have a man who could be on his way out.

In Mike Leach, you also have a man who is surrounded by controversy. His issues stem from dealing with kids at Texas Tech.

The Raiders have proved in the past that they are not afraid to dip into the college ranks for a coach. In Mike Leach, they get a quirky guy, but a pretty good football coach. Leach is best known for his innovative, pass happy offense that has lit up the Big 12 South for the past 10 seasons. It is no secret that Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis loves the vertical passing game. From that perspective, hiring Leach should be a match made in heaven.

Let's just hope this pass happy college coach fairs better than the last one who made the jump to the NFL. Remember Steve Spurrier's NFL experiment? Washington Redskin fans do.

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

doesnt leach want full control and not be told how to do things? that doesnt fit well with al davis does it? :confused:

3. Landlord Landry

please, please, please my lord and saviour Jesus, please let this happen.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Whats it with mike leech and pirates?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he already wears a patch over his eye, so i don't see how this idea can miss.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The article is kind of wrong. It wouldn't be a surprise at all. Bill Cowher or Mike Shanahan coaching the Raiders would be a surprise. It's, however, no surprise that Skeletor would consider someone like the idiot pirate. I kind of hope it happens, too. Keeps the Raiders in the bottom feeder status they deserve to be in.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If I recall Leach is slightly obsessed with Pirates...which is kind of interesting.

This would be a very interesting move. Leach, I think would definitely do well as an Offensive Coordinator. I could see him doing okay as a head coach in the NFL. He would just need a heck of a Defensive Coordinator.

Good news is he'll always know the bay area weather...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSPcMXWJjUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSPcMXWJjUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If nothing else, he could always give the young talent on the Raiders sensible advice...(I know this is a repost...)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DxBsXzvENpo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DxBsXzvENpo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry about the terrible quality.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

1 person likes this.
  9. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

+1 Rep

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

How will a pass-oriented coach help a team whose quarterback is JaMarcus Russel??

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I love Leach. And I'd love to see him on the Raiders sideline -- I think that'd be fun to watch.*

*I do not necessarily think he'll succeed as a head coach on the next level.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lets see what NFL defenders do between those 3 foot gaps between the o-lineman. LOL

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Leach to the Raiders has to happen... it'd be the sporting equivalent of the Hindenburg and Titanic rolled into one... a massive, spectacular, epic failure.

14. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Leach's offense is pass-happy, but not the "vuhtical" passing that Davis covets. Also, as has been mentioned, the gaps in his o-line don't take into account NFL-level speed and strength. He would have to adapt to that. Not saying he couldn't...just doesn't seem like the quick-fix the Raiders need. Also, there would be no worry about Jamarcus having to fulfill the QB problem. Leach has all his old QBs available, since they aren't playing in the League.

15. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

smh.

please, lord. if you exist, show us a sign of your divinity... we don't ask for much, just a sign...

16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

It worked for the Oilers, but they had two pro bowlers anchoring their O-line.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He can't adapt. I have seen mediocre Alabama teams hold Tech to like 9pts. NFL style defenses eat it up. There is a reason they don't run that crap in the NFL. I know what some may think, give him NFL talent running those routes and protecting the QB... again, there is a reason big programs never reached out to Leach, except to use him (Miami), its an inefficient allocation of talent.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

God I hate the bleacher report because any schlub on the interwebs can get some crap published. Let's break down this statement - Leach's offense is based on quick passes out of the shotgun, or with very short 3-step drops. Most of them are short passes as a consequene, rather than longer developing downfield routes.

Davis/Oakland meanwhile (allegedly) is still trying to recreate the days of Marcus Allen and Cliff Branch, pound the ball and then launch it deep. Basically this is the opposite of Leach's system.

Now, I'm not saying Oakland/Davis wouldn't hire him, I'm just pointing out the laziness here.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And now you have DTs running 4.6s and 3-4's that don't mess around.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This would be a fail in epic proportions. With that said, knowing Al Davis, it wouldn't be that much of a suprise.