1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bleacher Report]How Badly Do Houston Rockets Need an Upgrade at Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Junkyard Dog, Feb 2, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

wasn't too long ago when bledsoe was going through this:rolleyes:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...otPostID=['d4ece86221b4d974d15fe5f48508b715']

2. gregas

gregas Member

And nobody knows whether he's on the block, all we have are rumors and even those insinuate willingness of the suns to keep him long term.

3. hakeemthagreat

You basically just proved my point lol. Dragic's NOT A TRUE PG. The main gripe on here is "we need a REAL point guard". But Dragic's really a undersized SG in a point guard body. You want another SG playing alongside the best SG in the league? :confused: Long range? Dragic & Lawson shoot the EXACT same percentage from 3pt range. Lawson is quicker, pushes the ball better, and gets other involved WAY better. But the biggest difference is defense. Dragic gives us virtually nothing defensively:(

4. Handles

Handles Member

YOLO, out of curiosity, who do you consider the superstars of the league? If any?

5. gregas

gregas Member

LOL, Dragic is the best passer of the three guards in Phoenix by a good margin. Unfortunately for him he's also the only able to successfully operate at the two. He has the long and the midrange game that Bledsoe lacks to be effective at the 2, and at 6'4 the size that makes him the only conditionally effective on the defensive end. Bledsoe has utterly no ability to do anything off the ball while Thomas has some ability to space the floor, but at 5'9 automatically pushes Goran to the two.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . .. we don't need ELITE
    we just need Average

on 32 teams . .. there has to be at least about 6~7 average players that are available

Rocker River

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Since the argument is about who LEAD the team last season, you should compare the points from last season:

Dragic 20.3ppg 5.9apg
    Bledsoe 17.7ppf 5.4apg

Not sure what point you are making? Who averaged more points and assists??

Personally, I believe Bledsoe is a better player, and that has been shown so far this season. Dragic may well be on the block because of the 'crowded backcout' and his expiring, and I would be thrilled if we got him.
    I wouldn't cry if we got Lawson either! Or Knight - or anyone passable.
    Not convinced we'd be able to, but dreams are what this thread is made of, right?

8. hakeemthagreat

I meant this season. They're currently in the 8th seed and Bledsoe's having a better season of the two. I wouldn't be upset at Dragic either. He's a fine player. But ppl on here act as if he's the missing piece. I don't agree with that. I think his value on here is a vastly overrated. If the Rockets are to upgrade at point guard, why not get a POINT GUARD? That's all I'm saying. We should be looking at guys that our true point guards, who play defense. Dragic's more of a undersized shooting guard. IMO, he's not the long term solution for us

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah, but they were talking about who lead the team last season (ie, Dragic > Lawson was the point they were making based on who lead who to more wins last year).

Agree with you on Bledsoe this year, he is better, and Thomas makes Dragic (FA to be) available.

I don't think Dragic is an 'undersized 2' either. He played his best basketball for Houston at the PG spot, and performed admirably for PHX at PG in his first season there. Last season he was more of a hybrid, this season almost exclusively at the 2 (his worst season in PHX).
    Looks like he plays better ball at the PG spot? No?

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Yes, but the state of the franchise back when Morey made that decision was miles different.

11. malakas

malakas Member

because a POINT GUARD the way you mean it will take the ball out of Harden's hands will much drop his USG% and make the Rockets a worse team.
    There are no strictly point guards shooting guards in modern nba there are just guards and the best fit next to the biggest star of the team who is Harden is a combo guard who can shoot get to the rim and have good defence.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

It may not be popular or the best fit, but I can totally see Michael Carter Williams replacing Beverley as the starter. Not a good shooter but has upside and is a legitimate PG unlike Beverley. Clear upgrade over our current starting PG.

13. malakas

malakas Member

MCW is long. He also is a turnover machine with a broken jumbshot. He also is coming from a ROY campaign and is being shopped for first round picks.
    The Rockets don't need necessarily someone elite next to Harden. What they need is someone who can compliment him.

14. hakeemthagreat

Ofcourse. That's why I don't have a problem with Bev as much as some of you. He hasn't been on his game lately. But if he's hitting his 3's and making it hard for others to score then we're good. But IF we're forced to upgrade at starting PG, then Lawson's the best fit. Why? Because not only does he score, but he gets OTHERS involved. So if we're not hitting our 3's one night, atleast Lawson can get others good shots. That's not a advantage for Dragic. If Dragic's shot not falling, he doesn't do anything else very well.

15. malakas

malakas Member

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-nuggets-looking-to-make-trades/

I bet their available assets for trading for a "star" includes first and foremost Lawson.

BTW he is not as a good a fit as you think. He is tiny and has bad defence and needs the ball in his hands a lot. Injury prone too. In contrast Dragic's defence is miles better he is much longer and he can be played off the ball even as SF like Suns in their extreme three pg scheme do.
    Ty is good player and fun to watch though.

16. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Lawson's AST/TO this year: 3.83

17. baubo

baubo Member

Offensively there are very few players that fit better than Lawson. His ball domination is hardly an issue given how little we have outside of Harden, now that Dwight's no longer demanding his touches.

Defensively he's terrible to be sure. But that's why Beverley's here. I know people complain about his defense this year, which is warranted. But it will definitely be better once he's playing 20 minutes off the bench.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Just ran the ESPN lottery mock draft, and lo and behold a point guard dropped in our lap. Plus, he is a senior, and we know Morey loves him some senior.

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2015/mockdraft

Jerian Grant
    Height: 6-5 | Weight: 185 | Senior
    Notre Dame | Point Guard

A big, athletic point guard, Grant has been as good as any player in the country this season. He sees the floor well, shoots the ball respectably, is a plus defender and can take over a game. The biggest knock is he's already 22, but he comes with a wonderful basketball pedigree (his father is former NBA player Harvey Grant).
    SCOUTING REPORT: JERIAN GRANT

19. mockster

mockster Member

Thing is we don't need an amazing point guard somone scoring 15-20 points a game is fine and that can pass. Goran and lawson fit the picture pretty well. Besides Brandon knight and Brandon Jennings *which seem like a long shot* I don't see any others being other then extra support on the bench. I mean Reggie Jackson, mo Williams, Calderon and etc will defiantly help but won't be what we truley need.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah I am hoping for a Dragic/Lawson/Knight "move the needle" type trade over a marginal upgrade like Mo Williams or Calderon.